Problems with Smart Lock

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It looks like Google is finally going to fix Trusted Places in Play Services v11. This has been a very long time coming. Hopefully this will solve everyone's problems I have been seeing for quite a while. Here is an article referencing the fix.

Google says inconsistent Trusted Places behavior is fixed in Play Services v11

Well, I hope they fix the *real* problem.

I can understand how sometimes my phone might not unlock when in my trusted place - GPS isn't always perfect and the phone might think I am a few hundred yards from my actual location; I get that and I am okay with it.

But what really bothers me is that some people report being tens of miles from home and their phone is still unlocked or - in my recent example - 5,000 miles from home for a full five days and yet my phone was not automatically locking as it certainly should have been.

Phone not unlocking = a minor inconvenience
Phone not locking = a major potential security concern

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Well, I hope they fix the *real* problem.

I can understand how sometimes my phone might not unlock when in my trusted place - GPS isn't always perfect and the phone might think I am a few hundred yards from my actual location; I get that and I am okay with it.

But what really bothers me is that some people report being tens of miles from home and their phone is still unlocked or - in my recent example - 5,000 miles from home for a full five days and yet my phone was not automatically locking as it certainly should have been.

Phone not unlocking = a minor inconvenience
Phone not locking = a major potential security concern

I have not heard too much of the latter until recently, but yeah, hopefully they fixed that also.