problems with touchscreen oh no!

Rusty Shackelford

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
So called "fatal flaws" are only such if every person that owns a particular device suffers from them. This is not the case with the N1.

As for the phone being a success or not. How many television Ads have you seen for the Nexus 1? How many radio Spots have you seen? 90% of the advertising for the thing has been word of mouth! How many millions do Verizon, Apple and Att spend yearly to promote there devices?

I would say the numbers are pretty awesome considering how the phone has been promoted/sold.

As far as the phone being "underwhelming", that is a pretty weak assessment from someone who, again, does not own one. I have had an iPhone as well as a long and exhausting list of BB devices as well as the myTouch and I will tell you this, the Nexus one outperforms any smartphone I have ever had and I have been OVERwhelmed with how awesome it is. Every expectation has been met or exceeded.

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Considering how its been promoted/sold its done great. Imaging if they actually promoted it and put it into stores. I'm gunna guess it would have sold triple.

You're totally missing the point. You know its possible to find flaws in a company and still love their products right? The N1 should be everywhere. They're not even TRYING to make it the next big thing.

Rusty Shackelford

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Rusty, the distribution model he refers to is web orders only. No ability to try the device in stores before purchase. Thats pretty lousy. The rest of his points are subjective and kind of on a case by case basis.

Agreed. That is exactly why threads like this are unhealthy and not productive in any way in a forum.

Seems like we need a "Rants and Raves" category so productive discussion is not choked out of the particular forums by things that do not add to the knowledge base of the forums and just end with bickering about why "I'm right and you're wrong".

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
you guys are all right. there are no proven problems with the phone, act like everything is fine and that $530 is well spent and we will continue the cycle of products untested and dumped on consumers. i guess it is ok for an expensive device have flaws as long as it doesnt affect your particular use of the phone. i can tell you one thing, i am thankful that people and reviewers have found these problems and voiced them as i would be pissed to be the one finding them out.

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
This is my first post in this place. I own the Nexus One. It's a new phone and it will have some new problems. However, I don't have a 3G problem. My counterparts in the sf bay area who own an iphone on the AT&T 3G network do -- BIG TIME. Now if I lived in the midwest---or took a lot of trips there, the Nexus One probably wouldn't be my choice, but for me, given where I live, score one for the Nexus One. If I were living somewhere else, my answer might go the other way. In this instance it's all kind of unique to where you use your phone. The soft buttons. The soft buttons operate toward the top edge of the icon. Once I figured that one out, I no longer had problems with the soft buttons. Now for those who are just getting familiar with the phone---for the first time, that could be annoying. It's no longer annoying to me. Use the phone and you figure out its quirks. No problem there. The touch screen. The touch screen axis flop problem bugs me. It bugs me because it might deter some developers from developing apps that might enhance the value of my phone. It should be addressed, I hope it will be addressed. It's a deficiency in my opinion, but it is a deficiency that hasn't really impacted me --- yet.

The distribution model? I kind of liked the distribution model, but that's my personal preference. Then again I didn't have a problem getting my phone when I ordered and I bought it at the full price, so I was unlikely to have a problem with my order.

The AMOLED display issue. You should read the later reports. The problem apparently is with the Gallery app not the screen. Apparently looking at the same picture outside of the gallery app doesn't show any defect. IOW, it was a sucky analysis. if you're going to complain about a problem it probably makes sense to actually dig into it to see what the problem was. The floating point issue. Something that can eventually be upgraded. This is the type of issue you would expect from a "new phone".

On the other hand, when analyzing the phone it makes sense to also take account of the things that work well. Voice control. I love it. The integration with google maps and google navagator...wonderful. I like the feel of it better than the feel of the iphone. I like the multi soft button framework better than the iphone single button framework. I like how google voice works with this phone.

Now edizzle, are you seriously going to look at the phone from all angles or are you only looking for the nits?

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
i am absolutely not overlooking the positives or i wouldnt be wanting/buying it. great styling, great specs, i also agree, the google suite of apps is untouchable (which really doesnt have to do with the phone) im sold. i just get so irritated reading comments like yours about the soft buttons for instance. i know overall it is a small thing but i should not have to figure out or modify the way i and 300 million americans have been pressing buttons for the last 200 years. you press a button on the button. not the top 1/3 or bottom 1/3 or whatever, on the button. that is a problem. i have read at least 100 different users posts relating to this, every review starting with engadgets days before launch, has commented on it. there is no way in hell anyone will convince me that no one at HTC or Google noticed this issue before shipping out. again its small, but damn, why? i could not leave my clients homes with small issues like that, i would make sure it was fixed before i left or guess what, no referal.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
i saw that, it is still very interesting that the droid did it so much smoother. but that and the article about blaming google and the tpain article made me start to think about how fractioned the android platform is and how it will never be as cohesive as Apple OS. if an app wont work platform wide it is not going to flourish. if the same android app for multitouch works so differently on two phones running stock android, that is not a good sign. on the other hand, it definitely shows the advantage of a phone purchased directly from google as far as updates go.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Request to Mods: Could you please close this thread. It is going nowhere.

There will always be haters and 95% of them never have even touched the device they hate on and you have to love those people. That's just how forums work at times and that's OK - some times. Bottom line is all phones have their pros and cons and none are perfect. I've just never had any interest in visiting specific forums for devices I didn't think were the greatest and tell people about it. Now if I own the device and I think something is just horrible about it, I will speak up.

All that being said, if this thread goes back to being useless it will be closed.

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes and no

Android is fractured by nature, it comes from Linux. If you understand how Linux has been developed, and flourished, for a good while now, you know there will always be some degree of of differences across hardware. But hardware evolves too. So an app that takes advantage of a specific hardware spec or feature may be a great thing. If Moto has the better sensor for ... gaming, then coding may be developed there that won't run or run as well on other hardware. To me, that's a GOOD option, not a bad one. By the same token, there already are apps that won't run on the original iphone that run on the newer. Sure iphone is cohesive; how many of those came out this year? How many android phones so far? Price points, features? Openness? Who gets to choose which apps you run? There's nothing wrong with the apple model, bazillions of happy lemmings can't be wrong. Then there's the provider influence/exclusionary deals with manufacturers.
A big piece of my decision to wait for an N1 is that I like the google business model better than iphone OR the provider models. Maybe some other manufacturers will learn something and get better about competing for users instead of providers. I'm not against subsidized prices, but I'd like all options.

There is no product that is best at everything, and in 6 months whatever you choose as best for your needs WILL will be bested by something else announced or available; this is another reason I consider the business model of my hardware, not just today's available features. If the touch/pinch sensors/firmware are inherently better on the Motos, maybe you should wait for the right one of those to come out if that's a key feature for you. I've been waiting for the best/compelling features for 16 months past end of contract. I agree it's frustrating to see something come out that looks like the be-all, end-all, then learn it doesn't do this or that well, but it's the nature of the beast. Getting frustrated over what a given product doesn't do that you want is fruitless. Life is full of choices, accept the N1 for what it is or wait for something that better meets your needs.
ADS

if an app wont work platform wide it is not going to flourish. if the same android app for multitouch works so differently on two phones running stock android, that is not a good sign. on the other hand, it definitely shows the advantage of a phone purchased directly from google as far as updates go.

til-bar

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Generally, I love my Nexus (w/ 2.2 update)...but the screen issues drive me mad.

At least once per day when using the browser, I try to move the screen up and down and it zooms in/out. I have to lock and unlock multiple times before it allows me to properly scroll in the browser.

Also, multiple times per day, has inaccurate touch response using the keyboard. I'll hit the top row of letters and get a whole bunch of emoticons. This sometimes doesn't correct itself until I reboot.

Great phone, but seems buggy. I've had two, they both behaved this way.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
yeah its obviously a hardware bug at this point. i just lock the screen and it fixes itself right away. but it is annoying for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spongeylolz