Proper way to calibrate battery?

mustafu

Simply Winning
Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I must be doing it wrong somehow, phone went dead and when I plugged it in and turned it on, it was at 14%. What's the right way to do it? Thanks in advance

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any issue with the method I use. So I will offer it.

The general idea is to charge the battery to the fullest point possible. I do this by loading a backed up froyo ROM setup without any apps this is really only to get the backup to load up faster. I use froyo so it can stay off while charging. I then plug the phone in and wait till the charging animation stops cycling and wipe the battery stats/history. Turn it off again and let the charging continue. I repeat this until the charging animation stops in less than 30 secs. At this point the battery should be as charged as possible. Go into recovery then unplug the charger and then wipe the battery stats/history one last time.

Now go ahead and use the phone normally but don't plug it in or turn it off till it is at the lowest % you would like to charge it from on a daily bases. I suggest no lower than 5%.

I3ig Al

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
What is this wipe/calibration/configuration thing you guys are talking about? i've never heard of it before o_O

Also I stopped in to ask about how vulnerable todays phone batteries are to overcharge fatigue (not sure if thats the right term but yea).

I only charge my phone to 95-100% and then unplug it. however my girlfriend leaves her phone plugged in overnight every night, from 10pm to 6am. In the past I knew this to cause battery damage or wear out, and eventually the phones would not hold a charge for more than a couple hours. Is this still a concern today or am I alright to leave it plugged in overnight?

MasterTec

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
scootincivic said:
Now the question is how to do a legit wipe for Ginger Bread users?..

Since these won't charge while powered down (at least from what I've heard) I'd imagine you could just boot to recovery to do the "top-off" charge and then go from there. It may not be as absolutely accurate as the Froyo method but I have a feeling it would be close enough.

I3ig Al said:
What is this wipe/calibration/configuration thing you guys are talking about? i've never heard of it before o_O

Also I stopped in to ask about how vulnerable todays phone batteries are to overcharge fatigue (not sure if thats the right term but yea).

I only charge my phone to 95-100% and then unplug it. however my girlfriend leaves her phone plugged in overnight every night, from 10pm to 6am. In the past I knew this to cause battery damage or wear out, and eventually the phones would not hold a charge for more than a couple hours. Is this still a concern today or am I alright to leave it plugged in overnight?

Yes battery technology has come a long way. The Lithium Ion batteries used in these actually prefer to be kept on a trickle-charge all of the time. There is also circuitry built in to the phone itself to prevent overcharging so no worries.. just leave it plugged in whenever you can and don't worry about leaving it on the charger overnight.

Now if this used the old-school "Ni-Cd" battery then I might be giving you different advice, but it doesn't!

Reactions: mustafu

scootincivic

Feb 16, 2011
civicscootin.3utilities.com
Since these won't charge while powered down (at least from what I've heard) I'd imagine you could just boot to recovery to do the "top-off" charge and then go from there. It may not be as absolutely accurate as the Froyo method but I have a feeling it would be close enough.

Yes, that seems to be the only way.
There's even an application on the market (battery calibration)..
However I would rather use recovery.

Thing is why haven't any deva's thought of incorporating a battery percentage calibration tool for custom GB rom user's within recovery?

Would seem 2nd nature to incorporate such a utility within recovery & maybe incorporate it as a defuelt system off function with a charging interval.

Am I on to something or am I in the clouds playen on a rainbow while riding a unicorn while chasen leprechauns?....

Tapatalk via OV

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any issue with the method I use. So I will offer it.

The general idea is to charge the battery to the fullest point possible. I do this by loading a backed up froyo ROM setup without any apps this is really only to get the backup to load up faster. I use froyo so it can stay off while charging. I then plug the phone in and wait till the charging animation stops cycling and wipe the battery stats/history. Turn it off again and let the charging continue. I repeat this until the charging animation stops in less than 30 secs. At this point the battery should be as charged as possible. Go into recovery then unplug the charger and then wipe the battery stats/history one last time.

Now go ahead and use the phone normally but don't plug it in or turn it off till it is at the lowest % you would like to charge it from on a daily bases. I suggest no lower than 5%.

After flashing the latest mirage that now has offline charging, I tried this today: Kept charging, booting into recovery to wipe battery stats, then reboot to watch the charging screen. Kept doing this till charging stopped in less than 30 secs.

So far I've been off charger for 3 hours, moderate use (wifi) and the battery still has to drop below 100%. Obviously that's just a display error as the battery must have drained some. But I assume it will rebuild stats and report accurately after a few charge cycles.

In any case would it seem like more juice was squeezed into the battery. Hopefully that'll prove to be a good thing and not harm the battery.

Thanks a lot for sharing. I never would have thought of this myself :eek:

Sent from my LG Optimus V CM7/IHO

Last edited:
Reactions: mustafu

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
^^Boot into recovery (hold down home-VolDown-power), select advanced-> wipe battery stats.

Edit: you're supposed to only do it with a fully charged battery. Hence the top-up charging procedure described by zedorda above.

montenell

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
^^Boot into recovery (hold down home-VolDown-power), select advanced-> wipe battery stats.

Edit: you're supposed to only do it with a fully charged battery. Hence the top-up charging procedure described by zedorda above.

Thanks I tried it and my apps messed up I just got every thing fixed will try again later

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
confteam