[PSA] THINK TWICE about that super-cheap Chromebook

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
As we see more and more "killer deals" for Chromebooks under $100, it's worth reminding everyone here about how to check a Chromebook's end of life in terms of automatic software updates. Up until recently, Chromebooks were guaranteed to get around 5 years of automatic software updates (bringing new features as well as bugfixes and security patches/enhancements). Google just announced (Jan 2020) that newer Chromebooks will now get 8 years of automatic software updates, which is great -- hopefully Google continues to extend this even further (although one could argue that most people won't hang onto a laptop for much longer than 8 years). What happens after support ends? The device is still usable, but as time goes by, it will become increasingly risky as new security flaws are found and subsequently patched in continued updates to Chrome OS (which that device will no longer get).

We're now seeing a lot of older Chromebooks reaching their support end of life, so of course sellers are trying to push these with deep discounts. DON'T FALL FOR THEM​. Bear this in mind when you see an unbelievably low price -- chances are that Chromebook is no longer getting updates, or is very close to the end. You can easily check the status of any Chrome OS device here: https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not sure what it is about specific chipsets that would prevent them from continuing to get updates.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Considering how Chrome OS is constantly being updated, I wonder if it's just some arbitrary length of time they decided on -- they're assuming that the advances in Chrome might outpace the chipset capabilities after that amount of time.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Considering how Chrome OS is constantly being updated, I wonder if it's just some arbitrary length of time they decided on -- they're assuming that the advances in Chrome might outpace the chipset capabilities after that amount of time.
Quite honestly, they should have it going as long as it will run decently. As for raw capabilities, I don't think any major compatibility-critical things similar to PAE/NX back in the day are being introduced anymore.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I bought my daughter an inexpensive chromebook and had Amazon deliver it to her in the U.S. She loves it. She says the size is great to carry back and forth from work, she can cast movies from Netflix to her television, none of which I understand, and it's still updating.

But, I seriously doubt she will even notice when it quits updating. I would and you might but I don't think she will.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Right, but she might notice if someone takes advantage of some kind of unpatched security flaw in the future. Granted, that won't happen in the near term, but the longer you use an outdated device, those chances will slowly rise.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
And, correct me if I'm wrong, but no matter what I bought her it would eventually be outdated and receive to security patches?
My main reason for buying the Chromebook for my daughter was so she could learn what they are and know when she wants a new "computer".

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
And, correct me if I'm wrong, but no matter what I bought her it would eventually be outdated and receive to security patches?
My main reason for buying the Chromebook for my daughter was so she could learn what they are and know when she wants a new "computer".

sounds like it is doing exactly what you purchased it for. when it quits updating, she may not notice until some of the apps quit working which could be another year or more after the eol.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

That's correct. I believe all new Chromebook platforms will receive updates for 6 years, and there were some rumblings that Google's working on expanding that to 8 years. Chromebooks will give you a notification when they've hit end of support life, and there's also a section in the system settings that tells you when it will stop getting updates.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Good catch. Yeah, for those who are willing to trade the touch screen for screen real estate, this thing is massive and well work it in my opinion.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I’m looking for something to replace my iPad Pro. Still haven’t decided but I am looking at how long they are supported.
6 or 8 years is plenty.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
I’m looking for something to replace my iPad Pro. Still haven’t decided but I am looking at how long they are supported.
6 or 8 years is plenty.
Assuming it doesn't suffer from some stupid hardware failure LOL. High end gadgets can die after just a few years, like my $1050 Samsung tablet that seems to have lost the ability to charge after less than 3 years of use (looks like a hardware failure).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
6 or 8 years is plenty.

Might be worth waiting to see how the upcoming Lenovo Duet is. Looks like it might be what the Pixel C should've been.