[RANT} Google REMOVED VMOS from the Play Store

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
So after I was done messing with some test builds of VMOS (which are all from their Chinese site), I decided to go back the normal version that had no major bugs. So I hop onto Google Play as usual and what do I find? No VMOS. A quick Google search shows people crying about it being removed. After a little more searching, I find out VMOS has its own English site (I only thought before that they had just the Chinese site). I of course downloaded the APK from there (it has the assets integrated, so no messing with OBB files).

This move from Google, no matter how they end up justifying it, is a deliberate and highly disrespectful slap in the face to the power user community that I and a good number of this forum's members belong to. It lets me run root apps without risking the reliability and warranty of my phone, I can enjoy using it HOW I WANT TO. Bricked VM? No problem, just clear data and set it up again. I am a person who hates limitations, and this app literally unlocked a whole new wonderful world for me to enjoy! Seeing it go off the Play Store enrages me.

Another thing this move from Google shows is that they think we are not smart enough to open an official website and download the APK. What an insult to us Android nerds.

And if Google did this in response to people sideloading the international (English) version of VMOS on their Mate 30 phones, that is honestly none of Google's buisiness as VMOS was not downloaded from Google Play to those Huawei devices.

Sorry if my writing is extremely erratic and doesn't sound like my normal self, but being a libertarian tech nerd I am having a very very hard time controlling my temper and sky-high blood pressure right now...

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
App developers in China. I understand VMOS pushes compromised apps such as ES File Explorer so it wouldn't surprise me that it has been removed for security reasons. It's not exactly confidence inspiring for an app with that pedigree.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
...but being a libertarian tech nerd...

Then you understand that Google is not beholden to you or any other customer, and is free to operate their Play Store in whatever manor they choose, right? You can't really claim the independence of being a libertarian while also expecting a company to fit your specific wants. The two concepts are diametrically opposed.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Then you understand that Google is not beholden to you or any other customer, and is free to operate their Play Store in whatever manor they choose, right? You can't really claim the independence of being a libertarian while also expecting a company to fit your specific wants. The two concepts are diametrically opposed.
I don't expect Google to be beholden to me, but I expect them to at least justify their actions somehow because without giving an official reason it just makes them look like they are making fun of power users.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
App developers in China. I understand VMOS pushes compromised apps such as ES File Explorer so it wouldn't surprise me that it has been removed for security reasons. It's not exactly confidence inspiring for an app with that pedigree.
Pushes ES file explorer? Never happened to me.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't expect Google to be beholden to me, but I expect them to at least justify their actions somehow because without giving an official reason it just makes them look like they are making fun of power users.

I didn't think you cared what their justification was. At least that's the way your first post made it sound.

This move from Google, no matter how they end up justifying it, is a deliberate and highly disrespectful slap in the face to the power user community that I and a good number of this forum's members belong to.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
But the point here is I don't expect them to do the specific things (i.e. not kick out VMOS).

Edit: main case and point is that I just don't Google becoming so controlling. I do not expect anything to be my way. And the reason I mentioned the whole libertarian thing is that I do not like being controlled and do not like companies making controlling move attempts like Google did in this case. And I already mentioned the initial post was a little erratic (wrote it BEFORE calming down). Will try and avoid that in the future.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Was there a security issue?

Did/does VMOS violate any Play Store TOS?

You can still sideload, no?

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Well... I used to hack my old phones as well and, in that time, to have or to have not something in official stores or places mattered really nothing to me. I always could find what I wanted in internet. So, if Google pull out something from Play Store should mean nothing, as well, since it’s possible to find it somewhere else. I guess...

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Was there a security issue?

Did/does VMOS violate any Play Store TOS?

You can still sideload, no?
Security issue? Not that I heard of.

ToS violation? Aside from having built in Google Services, not sure. Totally legal app.

The official site has the latest APK (did you check out the video I posted?).

I've calmed down now, sorry about my earlier crazy posts that were also fueled by stress from my personal life. Still, Google is being ridiculous.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Well... I used to hack my old phones as well and, in that time, to have or to have not something in official stores or places mattered really nothing to me. I always could find what I wanted in internet. So, if Google pull out something from Play Store should mean nothing, as well, since it’s possible to find it somewhere else. I guess...
I know. I collect abandoned APKs dating a the way back to 2008. Still this is a crappy move on Google's part and a "nice attempt" at stopping us from having the fun and freedom we deserve on our devices.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
ToS violation? Aside from having built in Google Services, not sure. Totally legal app.

I can't speak to the app in question, but I have one legal app that wasn't updated to remain in compliant with a Google ToS change and was thus removed from the store. I don't remember exactly which ToS change, but it was something minor.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
I can't speak to the app in question, but I have one legal app that wasn't updated to remain in compliant with a Google ToS change and was thus removed from the store. I don't remember exactly which ToS change, but it was something minor.
Probably they had a change (YouTube changed ToS so maybe Google Play did but with no announcing). At the end of the day I just look at it as a small insult and just enjoy the latest sideloaded edition that works very well.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Probably they had a change (YouTube changed ToS so maybe Google Play did but with no announcing). At the end of the day I just look at it as a small insult and just enjoy the latest sideloaded edition that works very well.
THIS

Actually, I think it's Google's duty to make Play Store as safe as possible FOR ITS BUSINESS. And is our duty to circumvent it by sideloading. The day Google or somebody else make sideloading a no-go, then will we be entitled to rage against and to find or make another platform suitable to our needs.

As I said before, I'm not a Phone-Hacker anymore, my job doesn't leave me time for it, today I just want to "boringly" use my phone as it was meant to be used by manufacturer. I use for most of my time an iPhone, for the God's sake! But I completely understand your feelings about it, and sympathize with them.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Google justify their actions.. that made me chuckle. They rarely do that.

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
I trust google, they remove and ban stuff for our own good and safety. One of the benefits of google being a large corporation and built on solid ethical USA foundations.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
So does Magisk, if you can unlock the bootloader - and no worry about a Chinese app stealing your data - which is probably why Google removed it.
I don't worry as I don't put private info in VMOS. Not to mention it doesn't feel like crapware such as Clean Master. And honestly, if they really wanna deal with Chinese data collection they should kick TicTok off the Play Store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter