Re-lock phone with access to recovery only?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I need to get a replacement Nexus after a run-in with some liquids. There's a physical problem with the phone, resulting in a constant false zero-charge and not-charging state. I successfully reset the phone to a backup I had when it was stock, rooted, and unlocked. I'd like to re-lock it. Any suggestions?

Also, in the past I seem to remember having ADB control while the phone was in recovery. I can't get it to connect now. Any suggestions here would be great, I've already tried the 'common' drivers (Samsung, Google, and "Android 1.0" driver sets).

Edit: ...and this likely belongs in the Rooting/ROMs/Hacks subforum; my apologies.

Last edited:

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm still really hoping for some help on the issue. I've now tried different batteries, wiping the battery stats, and another full factory reset/restore to no avail.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Why do you only have access to recovery? You cant start the phone in bootloader mode? if you could do that, I could point you to a way to lock your phone back up, but with only access to recovery I dont really know.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Why do you only have access to recovery? You cant start the phone in bootloader mode? if you could do that, I could point you to a way to lock your phone back up, but with only access to recovery I dont really know.

Perhaps recovery was not the best word choice for the title. I thought I had mentioned that I can -- as you would guess -- boot into the bootloader.

On a Windows computer? Use Wug's toolkit.

Flashing stock was not a problem, however in order to re-lock the phone, the toolkit specifies I have to have ADB access with the phone booted up. This isn't possible because of the power issues my phone's having.

Where should I go from here?

Last edited:

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps recovery was not the best word choice for the title. I thought I had mentioned that I can -- as you would guess -- boot into the bootloader.

Flashing stock was not a problem, however in order to re-lock the phone, the toolkit specifies I have to have ADB access with the phone booted up. This isn't possible because of the power issues my phone's having.

Where should I go from here?

Don't think it matters since your phone is physically damaged, and you are not usimg your warranty.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Don't think it matters since your phone is physically damaged, and you are not usimg your warranty.

I couldn't find any statements or disclaimers that unlocking one's phone will void Best Buy's protection plans, but I wanted to return it to as close to stock as possible -- after all, it can't hurt.

So you're thinking the same thing, that because the damage has nothing to do with the 'customizations' the plan will be unaffected?

clicq0

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
ADB is only used to get the phone into the bootloader. If you're in the bootloader, you should be able to just lock the phone again using fastboot.

With my phone, if I boot into the bootloader (volume up + down and power on), I can then type in "fastboot devices" and my phone will show up. I assume if I did "fastboot oem lock" it would lock the bootloader, though I didn't try it...

I think once you're in the bootloader, you should just be able to run "fastboot oem lock" on your PC, I think...

derichio02

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Yes running that command will relock you should flash the stock 4.0.2 image first though if you want to be completely stock

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
ADB is only used to get the phone into the bootloader. If you're in the bootloader, you should be able to just lock the phone again using fastboot.

With my phone, if I boot into the bootloader (volume up + down and power on), I can then type in "fastboot devices" and my phone will show up. I assume if I did "fastboot oem lock" it would lock the bootloader, though I didn't try it...

I think once you're in the bootloader, you should just be able to run "fastboot oem lock" on your PC, I think...

this. I imagine you know how to use the command line to talk to your phone at this point, and this is what I was leading to, but I thought u were saying u couldnt access the bootloader.

If not, there are many tools out there that can do it for you.

clicq0

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
this. I imagine you know how to use the command line to talk to your phone at this point, and this is what I was leading to, but I thought u were saying u couldnt access the bootloader.

If not, there are many tools out there that can do it for you.

I'm not the OP :D. My phone's working perfectly fine.

Just to add, if you're having issues with the driver, you need to go into device manager, go to the unknown device, hit "update driver", "browse my pc...", then "show me a list", then somewhere should be "SAMSUNG Android phone" or something to that effect. Then install the Samsung ADB driver and you should be good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OSCAR DE BUG