Ready to prop tablet up on 4 X 4 block and smash in 2 with boot

mrbreezeet1

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I just got this Proscan 8" tablet off woot for $75.00 shipped.
I know, probably not the best, but good enough for my use.
I am new to all this tablets, I pods, and the like, don't have a cell phone peroid, let alone smart phone.
Few annoying things with this
Dolphin Browser, for one, that stupid microphone thing keeps popping up, and telling me to speak slower, or louder.
I don't know how I am getting it to come up.
I guess it's a search engine where you speak instead of typing.
Also, sometimes when I click on something, it just don't seem to want to go. Or I fat finger it, and click something else.
I thought when I 1st got this tablet the keyboard had a ".com" button, but now I don't see it.
I am getting a little better with it, but it still gets very frustrating at times.
Like long press on the tab, to get the box that says close tab to come up.
Or long press on the URL to set book marks.
Sometimes it seems to work, other times it don't.
The google microphone is very annoying to me right now too.
I did have fox flash, but didn't seem to care for the way if you open a link in a new tab, and scroll down, the tabs would auto hide, and I had to scroll to the top again to see them.
Guess I should have got a small lap top, but I missed the one on sale at best buy.
Thanks,

Edit
Seems like if I long press on a tab, wanting the close tab box to come up, sometimes it does, sometimes I get the box with "Bookmark tab" in it.
Also is there like a pen I can get to tap the screen, might be better than My fat finger?

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

It seems like a lot of the issue you're having is with Dolphin browser, unless I'm misunderstanding. Have you considered using another browser, like Firefox?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is the voice prompt occurring only on Dolphin? If so, check the Dolphin settings to see if there is one for voice commands. Otherwise, go to your System Settings and look for an option that might be related to voice commands. There are a lot of other browsers you can try as well. If you don't like Dolphin, try one of these: Maxthon, Boat Browser, Opera.

Your issue with the touchscreen probably has more to do with the quality of the tablet's touchscreen, not with your finger. Cheaper devices typically have lower quality screens and digitizers, which leads to less accurate or sensitive response. A stylus might help, but just make sure it's compatible with capacitative touchscreens. Most styli are, but some might only be for resistive screens (like the old Palm PDAs, for example).

Which keyboard are you using? There are quite a few 3rd party keyboards you can install from Google Play. Give Google Keyboard, Swype, or SwiftKey a try. The presence of the ".com" button is often situational--it usually only shows up if it knows you're typing something into a URL bar.

mrbreezeet1

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
here is another thing, in yahoo mail, when I hit delete, it them gives me an opttion to move.
Then I have to select the trash folder.
Is there a work around for this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the actual Yahoo Mail app, or the stock Email app from Android? In the Yahoo Mail app, tapping the garbage can icon should simply delete it.

mrbreezeet1

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

It seems like a lot of the issue you're having is with Dolphin browser, unless I'm misunderstanding. Have you considered using another browser, like Firefox?
Is that fox flash? If so, I did not care for it.

Welcome to Android Central! Is the voice prompt occurring only on Dolphin? If so, check the Dolphin settings to see if there is one for voice commands. Otherwise, go to your System Settings and look for an option that might be related to voice commands. There are a lot of other browsers you can try as well. If you don't like Dolphin, try one of these: Maxthon, Boat Browser, Opera.

Your issue with the touchscreen probably has more to do with the quality of the tablet's touchscreen, not with your finger. Cheaper devices typically have lower quality screens and digitizers, which leads to less accurate or sensitive response. A stylus might help, but just make sure it's compatible with capacitative touchscreens. Most styli are, but some might only be for resistive screens (like the old Palm PDAs, for example).

Which keyboard are you using? There are quite a few 3rd party keyboards you can install from Google Play. Give Google Keyboard, Swype, or SwiftKey a try. The presence of the ".com" button is often situational--it usually only shows up if it knows you're typing something into a URL bar.
I think it's mainly/only in Dolphin.
I have google keyboard, I don't know if it was there, I don't think I installed it.
If I install a new keyboard will it always use that keyboard by default?
OK, like I said, might not be the best tablet in the world.
I just got it to horse around on the internet while I am at the doctors office. (long days there, long story)
Maybe I will try a touch pen. I will check walmart today.
I seem to like this browser the best so far.
Like I said in the OP, I did not care for fox flash, due to the way if you open a link in a new tab, and scroll down, the tabs would auto hide, and I had to scroll to the top again to see them.
I like to always open a link in a new tab, even on my desk top. Then you just close the tab, and "Bam" your back to your page you linked from.
OK maybe I will try another. So far though, I seem to like dolphin the best.
Are you using the actual Yahoo Mail app, or the stock Email app from Android? In the Yahoo Mail app, tapping the garbage can icon should simply delete it.
It's the yahoo mail just in dolphin browser.
Maybe I'll try the yahoo app again, I had it, or it was the one already installed, But I didn't really seem to see a need for it .
Maybe I will try it again.

Thanks To all.

Edit The key board is google keyboard. It must have been pre-installed, as there is no option to un install it, only to un-install updates.

Last edited:

mrbreezeet1

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I like this browser for the most part, I just have to learn what is causing my problems.
Here is another thing , this page comes up (sometimes, not always) when I try to close a tab, or maybe other times , but for sure sometimes when I try to close a tab.
This also get very frustrating. Then I have to hit back 2 times to get out of it.

EDIT
Also if I have say Yahoo mail (app) open, and I want to exit, how do I do it, Just go back to home?
Is it really closed, or still running in the back ground.
I see with dolphin, if I long hold back, I am given the option to exit.
Don't see nothing like that with say yahoo.

Can't we attach a picture here?
Will upload to photo bucket.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You can install as many keyboard apps as you like. You can choose which one you'd like as the default by going to Settings/Language & Input.

The Yahoo Mail web interface is, in my opinion, pretty lousy--and it may not work well on an Android browser, so I would recommend sticking with the app. When you back out of the Yahoo Mail app (as with most apps), you're not closing or killing the app, because otherwise it wouldn'tbe able to function in the background. Remember that Android works by keeping apps open in RAM to allow for faster and more efficient app switching and opening, and the system will intelligently decide which apps to close if more RAM is needed. Trying to kill tasks on your own is a mostly fruitless effort, and will probably just lead to increased battery drain in the long run.

mrbreezeet1

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Oh, OK, so in other words don't really worry about closing the apps.
OK, I put this one keyboard in, but I went back to the google one. The new one did not have the click sound when I hit a key, I was used to that, as I could tell easier if I double hit a letter.
So your saying use the Yahoo mail app? OK.
Other than that, it is working pretty smoothly. Just need to figure out what I am doing to bring up those 2 "un asked for" pages.
Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred