Rear cameras on s23 ultra making some sort of click or pop sound when switching around on the various zoom option is this normal? Anyone else notice?

Apr 9, 2023
Visit site
When I open my camera app on my s23 ultra and I zoom in and out by tapping the zoom options (1x 3x 10x etc) I hear this clicking or popping sound coming from the back camera. It’s mostly from the 10x option. I also notice this very slight tap like feeling when the click happens coming from the camera area when I click the 10x option also when close the camera app. Do you guys have this? Is this normal camera behavior?

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
When I open my camera app on my s23 ultra and I zoom in and out by tapping the zoom options (1x 3x 10x etc) I hear this clicking or popping sound coming from the back camera. It’s mostly from the 10x option. I also notice this very slight tap like feeling when the click happens coming from the camera area when I click the 10x option also when close the camera app. Do you guys have this? Is this normal camera behavior?

Reactions: FlanEnjoyer123
Apr 9, 2023
Visit site
Yes tap on the back of the phone click is normal but going between zoom I don't hear click
Hmm interesting. When i tap on the .6, 1, and 3x not much of a click sound but its only when i go to 10x, I notice this audible click noise and notice a tap on the back of the phone. Try switching between 1x and 10x, do you notice it?

I look closely at the phone while switching and i see the bottom camera moving up and down, i think its coming from that one. Its also kind of weird for me since sometimes it has that sound other times it doesnt, like right now i dont hear it. I think it has to do with the position the camera was last in? idk

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hmm interesting. When i tap on the .6, 1, and 3x not much of a click sound but its only when i go to 10x, I notice this audible click noise and notice a tap on the back of the phone. Try switching between 1x and 10x, do you notice it?

I look closely at the phone while switching and i see the bottom camera moving up and down, i think its coming from that one. Its also kind of weird for me since sometimes it has that sound other times it doesnt, like right now i dont hear it. I think it has to do with the position the camera was last in? idk
I tried didn't hear it

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Yes I've noticed both tap and clicking sound on the S21 Ultra too, but less so on the S23 Ultra. The clicking sound is very subtle on the S23 Ultra - I think most people would need to place the phone right adjacent to one's ear to have any chance of hearing it.

Apr 9, 2023
Visit site
Yes I've noticed both tap and clicking sound on the S21 Ultra too, but less so on the S23 Ultra. The clicking sound is very subtle on the S23 Ultra - I think most people would need to place the phone right adjacent to one's ear to have any chance of hearing it.
yeah when i switch between the 0.6, 1, and 3x zoom, or close the camera the sound is super subtle and is pretty much quiet but when i tap the 10x zoom and switch between that and like 1x, the sound is a lot more noticeable. Is it more noticeable for you when you switching between say the 1x and 10x zoom?

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
yeah when i switch between the 0.6, 1, and 3x zoom, or close the camera the sound is super subtle and is pretty much quiet but when i tap the 10x zoom and switch between that and like 1x, the sound is a lot more noticeable. Is it more noticeable for you when you switching between say the 1x and 10x zoom?
Yes, going from 1x to 10x is more noticeable, but still pretty quiet - I basically need to put the phone next to my ear (like when receiving a phone call) to hear it, and my hearing isn't that bad. It also needs to be a very quiet environment.

EDIT: if you have time, can you try to reproduce this too and post in that thread with your results, thanks!:

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023
Visit site
Yes, going from 1x to 10x is more noticeable, but still pretty quiet - I basically need to put the phone next to my ear (like when receiving a phone call) to hear it, and my hearing isn't that bad. It also needs to be a very quiet environment.

EDIT: if you have time, can you try to reproduce this too and post in that thread with your results, thanks!:
Thanks for the update, one more thing. In a quiet room when you record a video and zoom into the 10x in the video then zoom back out to 1x , on the playback do you hear the click? It's not that loud so you might have to turn up the volume to max.

As for the zoom thing, while I don't have the April update yet, I do notice it. If this is what you're referring to:
It's not really a "lag". It's almost as if a "filter" is suddenly added on at the end of the zooming, thus giving this "jitter/jolt" feel right at the end of the zoom (the zooming animation aside from that is pretty good).

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the update, one more thing. In a quiet room when you record a video and zoom into the 10x in the video then zoom back out to 1x , on the playback do you hear the click? It's not that loud so you might have to turn up the volume to max.

As for the zoom thing, while I don't have the April update yet, I do notice it. If this is what you're referring to:
I think I can only hear the click going from 1x to 10x. Zooming back out from 10x to 1x I can't hear any click. There also appears to be a click when ending the video. All is quite subtle though.

iamcursed

Apr 13, 2023
Visit site
I can confirm that since the april update i have noticed this problem too. Its even so bad, that while recording in 1x + shaking, you can hear the rattling inside the video. This was not a normal behavior. I know that some rattle should be present. I had the s20u, s21u and s22u prior to mine s23u. Since i suspect its from the april update, this would be fixed by an update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174