Recent WiFi issues

Lee Rogers51

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
I have looked over old posts to see if my question is answered and so far, it's not. So here goes...

I've had my Nexus 7 2013 for a couple years now and I LOVE it. However, in the last few weeks, I've noticed that my WiFi will drop out at random for no apparent reason. It's never done this before now so I wondered if it had to do with a OS update. I have v. 6.0.1. Android security patch level is August 5, 2016. I have tried everything short of a factory reset. All other devices that connect to my WiFi have no problems so it's just my Nexus 7. I just don't get it. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

RHTizzy

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
There are a few counts of the plugs coming loose in their seating which lead to various sensors performing erratically. There are plenty of YouTube showing how to fix and the process is actually quite simple. Most often an extra a bit of tape on the inside of the back cover in a few locations is enough pressure to fix. Sadly not a permanent fix though once they plugs start coming loose, they never quite recover fully in my experience. I use a fingernail to separate screen from cover and it takes some fiddling but nothing is glued so still relatively easy.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It's never done this before now so I wondered if it had to do with a OS update. I have v. 6.0.1. Android security patch level is August 5, 2016.
Did the problem start after the latest OS update?
I don't remember there being anything in the August update having anything to do with WiFi, but you never know.

I'd suggest:
- clear the system cache in Recovery mode
- review all of the suggestions in this recent article (not really specific to the S7 series) http://www.androidcentral.com/how-to-fix-wifi-problems-galaxy-s7
- Factory Reset

Much easier to take a whack at software solutions before mucking with the hardware.

RHTizzy

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Well sure and always good to clear the system cache after a major upgrade to the Os. But if it was relevant to this issue, I'm pretty sure there'd be a hell of a lot more people complaining

acap82

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm having similar issues. Spotty wifi connection for several weeks, usually resolved with restart. Today no signal then extremely slow upload and download speed. It's my daughter's tablet with a heavy duty case to protect from bumps. Any idea if that could cause increase temp and wires to loose connection?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Anything is possible.

As I suggested in post #5 you should pursue the possible software solutions first - they don't cost anything and don't involve possibly breaking the tablet when you try to open it up or fiddle with the connections.

If that doesn't pan out THEN check out iFixit for guidance (assuming that you have a Nexus 7 2013; if you have a different model you'll find a teardown there as well).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilliejoylene