Recording a Mirrored HDMI Output

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I have a weird hobby. The easiest way to explain my hobby would be to just point to my YouTube page, So, yeah, feel free to click the YouTube badge. You don't have to look too hard, and probably don't even need to watch any videos. You'll probably figure it out within a minute or two.

Done? Okay, let's get down to business.

I recently bought an MHL adapter and HDMI cable off of Monoprice. Until the week before the Super Bowl, no one in this house had an HDTV, so I never bothered. Some time before that, I bought a Hauppauge Colossus because I was dissatisfied with the device I was using to record footage of console games. The Colossus has HDMI in, but will only accept non-encrypted streams. (Hauppauge uses the XBox360 as an example there.) I figured that since it does HDMI, I'd buy an MHL adapter and see if I can't find any Android games that are worth showing off. (Android does get a bad wrap in the gaming department, even though we did just get a Humble Indie Bundle.) I highly doubted that the thing would use an encrypted stream.

And here's the problem: while I can get HDMI mirroring to work fine on my shiny new TV, it doesn't seem to be working on my Hauppauge. The MHL adapter won't even kick my phone into dock mode, like it does on my TV. I have the capture software set to record from HDMI, but it doesn't pick up a signal. Honestly, I'm confused. I had a little trouble at first getting the thing to work on the TV (didn't realize it needed power at first, for one thing), but what got it working on my TV doesn't seem to be working for my computer. It's probably a lot to ask, and I'm probably better off e-mailing support, but I figured that it was best to cover all my bases. Any help you could provide would be great.

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Do you have power connected to the mhl adapter? Mine won't do anything unless I plug my charger into it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
What type of HDMI cable are you using? 1.2, 1.3, 1.4? I know some profiles require different cables. For instance, the AppleTV only works with 1.4 for security reasons. Found this out the hard way when I tried streaming some movies I purchased (or at least got the digital copy when I bought the blueray) and couldn't stream them at a family member's AppleTV.

PS... can't wait for Google's version of this technology... allowing wifi mirrored devices on the TV... I think thats one of the purposes of wifi-direct on this phone... Making it routerless!

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
welcome to HDCP my friend. It wont work. Also, it has nothing to do with the version number of HDMI cable. The HDMI consortium has told manufacturers to not use version numbers as marketing tools. All HDMI cables are capable of 1.2, 1.3, 1.4. The only options to an HDMI cable are ARC and ethernet. Those are two features of HDMI 1.4 specification, but not a cable requirement. They have mandated cable manufacturers to use high speed and low/standard speed designation for cables. And to list whether or not they have ARC and ethernet. Andrew i can tell you with 100% certainty the Apple TV 1 and 2 do not have any requirement for a so called 1.4 cable. you probably had a bad cable. cheap cables are finicky and can pass signals from device and not others. there are lots of things that could have caused it to not work.

imnotajedi

May 24, 2011
Visit site
welcome to HDCP my friend. It wont work. Also, it has nothing to do with the version number of HDMI cable. The HDMI consortium has told manufacturers to not use version numbers as marketing tools. All HDMI cables are capable of 1.2, 1.3, 1.4. The only options to an HDMI cable are ARC and ethernet. Those are two features of HDMI 1.4 specification, but not a cable requirement. They have mandated cable manufacturers to use high speed and low/standard speed designation for cables. And to list whether or not they have ARC and ethernet. Andrew i can tell you with 100% certainty the Apple TV 1 and 2 do not have any requirement for a so called 1.4 cable. you probably had a bad cable. cheap cables are finicky and can pass signals from device and not others. there are lots of things that could have caused it to not work.

I mostly agree with this statement. The versions are based on bandwidth requirements. majority of all cable 15ft or shorter should support the higher bandwidth that are in the 1.4 specs. It is when you get to longer lengths that HDMI cables have issues mainly 25ft+. Apple TV 2 only supports 720p and even the new Apple TV even though supports 1080p requires only a low bandwidth to work.

HDMI bandwidth numbers are so far ahead of the equipment that it out it is ridiculous.

Agree again that this probably a HDCP issue.

bakerbert

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I had it plugged in. Note I got it to mirror fine to my TV, but not to my computer.

Just a quick thought, have you tried to put it through a receiver or a switch first?
You might be able to get it to feed off of that instead of directly from your phone.