Restrict access to Gmail on Nexus 7?

duquebees

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I just got a Nexus 7 for my son, and, while I'm fine with having my account on the device for apps already purchased, etc. (and the credit went on my account), but is there a way to keep him from accessing my email, at least through the built in Gmail client? He freaking loves the thing, BTW. Great size for kid hands.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
why don't you just create an email account for him on which you have full access? I did the same when I brought my daughter a galaxy player.

nmoira

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
If you don't want him to have email access at all, you can just turn off sync under settings>accounts and wipe data then disable the Gmail client (and google+ while you're at it) under settings>applications. Be sure you remain logged out of chrome as well.

Otherwise, just turn off sync for your own/primary account and wipe data for the client and give him his own email account.

ETA: It's also a good idea to setup a PIN for Play Store purchases on the tablet and set the maturity level for app download. I wish there were a built-in option for requiring a PIN for all Play Store downloads (except updates), paid or not, but as it is, only paid apps and in-app purchases are restricted.

Sent from my GS3.

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
If you don't want him to have email access at all, you can just turn off sync under settings>accounts and wipe data then disable the Gmail client (and google+ while you're at it) under settings>applications. Be sure you remain logged out of chrome as well.

Otherwise, just turn off sync for your own/primary account and wipe data for the client and give him his own email account.

ETA: It's also a good idea to setup a PIN for Play Store purchases on the tablet and set the maturity level for app download. I wish there were a built-in option for requiring a PIN for all Play Store downloads (except updates), paid or not, but as it is, only paid apps and in-app purchases are restricted.

Sent from my GS3.

this will just wipe the data but if you open the app again it will show email with just a click...
Also, syncing can be disabled but when you open the app it will sync.

OP: Use Perfect app protector or any app protector software. you have to key the pin or pattern to open apps.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com.morrison.applocklite&hl=en&token=SapIMvLt

Reactions: duquebees

nmoira

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
this will just wipe the data but if you open the app again it will show email with just a click...
Also, syncing can be disabled but when you open the app it will sync.

OP: Use Perfect app protector or any app protector software. you have to key the pin or pattern to open apps.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com.morrison.applocklite&hl=en&token=DNro1k0x

Not if you *disable* the app. The child won't even see icon. If the child knows how to go into the applications settings and re-enable the app, then the parent should look for another solution such as you mentioned or disconnect the parent's account.

Sent from my GS3.

Reactions: duquebees

nmoira

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Oops missed a step if you want him to have access to the Gmail app. You'd have to go into the primary account settings in the gmail app and set to "no sync" for each label, including inbox. It's easier to get around this though.

A third party mail client would be a better option.

Sent from my GS3.

duquebees

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Great! The app protector was what I was looking for. He has his own account that I control, but I've put a lot of dough into apps for him on my own devices over the years, and really didn't want to buy them again. My email was really all I was concerned with; a lot of the other media I want to share with him.

It's also been a good opportunity to tell him about online identity. I really do wish that I could have a passcode/phrase for him to download free apps (first thing was a pin for purchases), but, we made a simple deal: if he downloads without approval, he loses the tablet. Period.

Again, thanks for the tips.