[ROM][ACS]SyndicateROM Frozen 1.2 (Updated 6/20)

bradleypariah

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
How to get Syndicate ROM and YouMail to play nice

Just for the record, in case anybody else experiences this problem and doesn't know what's causing it:
Having YouMail installed still causes this ROM to lock up if the device sleeps for more than ~30 seconds, requiring a battery pull.

I can verify this, but fortunately, there is a fairly easy fix that allows you to use both Syndicate AND YouMail together in perfect harmony.

As mentioned in other threads, if you have already installed YouMail and your Syndicate phone freezes on you, you're going to have to re-install Syndicate from scratch. Bummer, I know.

Make sure you've got the latest zip of SyndicateROM on your SD card before attempting this.

Shut off your phone and boot into recovery.
I personally wiped data 3 times, wiped dalvik 3 times, and finally factory reset 3 times.

Choose to install ROM from .zip
Once done, reboot.
All your contacts, accounts, apps, and everything will be gone.
Obviously all your contacts will come right back after you set up your Gmail account.

Once you've got your phone up-and-running, the script you initially ran to set up YouMail should still be active in Sprint's network. In other words, your unanswered calls should still be forwarded to YouMail. If not, call *287142043114 (for Sprint users only) and your calls will now be forwarded even without the YouMail app installed.

Now, on your PC, log in to youmail.com. Up in the top of the window, click "My Account".
In the left-hand navigation pain, select "My Alerts".

From there you can opt to receive an email with the voicemail attached as an mp3 every time a voicemail is received. I tested it out, and I received the voicemail within one minute.
Plus, if you truly prefer to see YouMail in an "app-like" form, the email you receive also has a direct link to your YouMail online inbox - which, in my opinion, is even cooler looking than the app.

If you want a quick-launch-like an app from your home screen:

Perhaps with this choice, you may want to only select to receive a text message when you get a voicemail. This option will be much more like having YouMail installed on your phone.

1) In your phone's browser, navigate to your YouMail inbox. Hit Menu > Bookmarks > *Add
2) Download this to your phone: http://www.boostmobilephones.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/youmail_thumb.png and save it to sdcard/DCIM/Camera
3) Long-press on your phone's home screen. Choose Shortcuts > Bookmark > YouMail
4) Don't close that window yet! Touch the little red bookmark icon and navigate to Camera. Choose your YouMail icon.

I know some people may prefer the OG app, but to me it's a worthy trade off, considering my phone benchmarks at nearly two and-a-half times the speed it used to. I'll deal. :cool:

I obviously do not take any responsibility for your lost data. I'm attempting to help someone that knows what they're doing in the first place. The directions herein are not intended to be an end-all-be-all guide for n00bs to install Syndicate! My directions above may be seem vague and unclear because they are intended for someone who already knows how to:
a) root their phone
b) navigate in a terminal
c) boot into recovery
d) format partitions
e) install a ROM from a zip
f) un-brick a dead phone (just in case!)

If you don't know how to do any of those things, research that first!
If you manage to get Syndicate running successfully from their directions, and you want to use YouMail, come back here for that. Good luck and I hope I helped someone :)

:D :p O:)

Last edited:

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
are you using a task killer or clearing level 2 ram in the task manager? if so thats the problem its killing a service that the mms app uses, what you can do is force close messenger in manage applications and they will send without having to reboot.
I've had this happen when I do a TM Level 2 Clear (I do it to kill whatever app keeps my phone from sleeping), but have had to reboot to fix it. I'm going to try the MMS force close technique tomorrow and see if that helps restart the MMS service without a reboot.

CptDanger88

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
One or the other.

Thanks. Ended up keeping SetPCU. Not noticing any outstanding battery life, but it lasts around 10 - 11 hours, while playing music for about two of those hours, and that's all I really need. I have my phone at 1200max - 200min ondemand, Set on Boot, and under profiles, I have 200max - 100min Conservative Priority 100. I noticed that when I check the "Enable" box, my phone sometimes goes into some deep sleep mode, and I have to take out the battery to boot it back up. Thinking about running the profile to OnDemand tomorrow, to see if that works out any better.

dquangt

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Ended up keeping SetPCU. Not noticing any outstanding battery life, but it lasts around 10 - 11 hours, while playing music for about two of those hours, and that's all I really need. I have my phone at 1200max - 200min ondemand, Set on Boot, and under profiles, I have 200max - 100min Conservative Priority 100. I noticed that when I check the "Enable" box, my phone sometimes goes into some deep sleep mode, and I have to take out the battery to boot it back up. Thinking about running the profile to OnDemand tomorrow, to see if that works out any better.

Under what circumstance do you have that profile set? 100 is probably too low. I don't even set any profiles. On the main screen I just set 1200/200, conservative and check set on boot. The deep sleep may also be linked to you having it set to ondemand from what I remember. With normal use I get 15+ hours.

Reactions: CptDanger88

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
VC or SetCPU

Just flashed back to VisionKernel 1.2.

Who's using SetCPU and who's using VC? If I recall, the genocide people tell you to not use setCPU, but it actually worked OK for me. Is there a recommendation for VisionK?

techiechick

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys - noob question...

I have a Shift, but I used to have the Epic - gave it to hubby as a hand me down. :)

He's getting jealous - I'm running the MikShifted-G-v1.4 rom - Gingerbread with parts of Sense 3, very cool!
He's still running Truly Epic Rebirth 1.5 from when I had the phone... He sees mine, and well, you know... So it's time to upgrade hubby.

He is running Clockwork Mod 3.0.0.2, Truly Epic Rebirth (TER) 1.5. I've done full backups with both CWM and Titanium. I keep reading great things about this rom, so I think this is the next rom i want to load...

So, which steps do I need to follow to go from Truly Epic Rebirth 1.5 to SyndicateROM Frozen 1.2??

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys - noob question...

I have a Shift, but I used to have the Epic - gave it to hubby as a hand me down. :)

He's getting jealous - I'm running the MikShifted-G-v1.4 rom - Gingerbread with parts of Sense 3, very cool!
He's still running Truly Epic Rebirth 1.5 from when I had the phone... He sees mine, and well, you know... So it's time to upgrade hubby.

He is running Clockwork Mod 3.0.0.2, Truly Epic Rebirth (TER) 1.5. I've done full backups with both CWM and Titanium. I keep reading great things about this rom, so I think this is the next rom i want to load...

So, which steps do I need to follow to go from Truly Epic Rebirth 1.5 to SyndicateROM Frozen 1.2??

I would first upgrade your current CWM to the newer CWM 3.1.0.1 which can be done by flashing an update package in your current CWM. The link below has the information.

[RECOVERY][GPL] ClockworkMod 3.1.0.1 PURPLE UPGRADE RFS/EXT4/USB CUSTOM FOR EPIC4G

Then you should be able to wipe everything 3x and flash right over to SRF and be happy :)

BTW, been a while since we've seen you around these parts Techie..

techiechick

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Paul!!

I knew you'd come through for me!
Just one more question - on the link to the new CWM it mentions a new kernel - do I need that?

You know, I wanted a smaller phone, but I gotta admit - every time I get my hands on this thing - it really is a great device.

Thanks for the awesome advice!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
No you shouldn't need to use a new kernel, except whatever is recommended for use with SRF. I have used the new CWM with Bonsai and others and never worried about the kernel. From reading further into the CWM instructions he is recommending the new kernel for those who are attempting this upgrade on the stock OS kernel or for those who wish to use ROM Manager in conjunction with this because it does now support ROM Manager.

Actually the install instructions for SRF I believe suggest updating to this new CWM purple so you should be just fine :)

dquangt

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
so for weeks i had been using SFR 1.2 with the Twilight kernel overclocked to 1200 and i was happy as can be. it was fast, nice battery life, etc... then a few days ago the phone froze, which was only the 2nd time in weeks of use, and after i started getting FC's like crazy. every program was messing up.

so anyway, i started over and reflashed SFR 1.2 but this time used the newer Genocide 2.0 kernel and HOT DAMN this thing is even faster!! absolutely blows my last configuration away and immediately the battery life was amazing. with moderate use the first night i was on like 18 hours with still 20 or so percent left.

SFR 1.2 + Genocide 2.0 is what i'd recommend for anyone that hasn't already.

CptDanger88

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Under what circumstance do you have that profile set? 100 is probably too low. I don't even set any profiles. On the main screen I just set 1200/200, conservative and check set on boot. The deep sleep may also be linked to you having it set to ondemand from what I remember. With normal use I get 15+ hours.
Sorry I'm so late here. Anyways, So I just set the main screen at exactly what you have it at, when previously I had it at OnDemand. I'm still only really getting 9-10 hours.
My only problem is, on the profiles screen, I have it set to when screen off 400/200, 100% priority, conservative, but everytime I check the enabled box, it goes into the deep sleep mode once the screen goes off. I'm assuming that it has to be checked for the profile to even be active?

alexweidner

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Stuck on Boot Screen after flashing Syndicate

Please help.

I used Sumsung's update software to reset my Epic 4G to EC05 from the TrulyEpic Rebirth ROM. Then I used Clockwork 3.0.0.6 to flash syndicate frozen 1.2....and my phone is stuck on the boot screen...

I have tried flashing the ROM several times with no luck, my phone will not turn on.

...What should I do?

-Alex

UPDATE: should've read the fine print more closely and realized i needed to flash a kernel as well.

Last edited:

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Re: Stuck on Boot Screen after flashing Syndicate

Please help.

I used Sumsung's update software to reset my Epic 4G to EC05 from the TrulyEpic Rebirth ROM. Then I used Clockwork 3.0.0.6 to flash syndicate frozen 1.2....and my phone is stuck on the boot screen...

I have tried flashing the ROM several times with no luck, my phone will not turn on.

...What should I do?

-Alex

SRF 1.2 doesnt contain a kernel, flash this [KERNEL][GPL]Genocide EC05 Kernel 2.0|1.4GhzOC|RomManager|CustomUV|DUALBOOT! 7/5/2011 - xda-developers after flashing the rom no wipes neccessary.

BTW Just flash the kernel, don't worry about the rest unless you are interested. Easily the best kernel even left alone. If you want to mess with it more just read the thread and the kernel can do AMAZING things.

Oh and one last thing, update your CWM here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1076967 it will save you headaches down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: alexweidner

alexweidner

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to use stock android keyboard on sydicate rom?

I've just installed the Syndicate Frozen 1.2 ROM that everyone seems to love so much, but was frustrated to find that it will not let me use the stock Android keyboard. I HATE swype. I found the gingerbread keyboard and downloaded it, and installed it using ASTRO file manager, but the phone will still won't let me use anything other than swype (or of course, the physical keyboard), for messaging etc. If i turn swype off, the text field tells me to simply open the keyboard to type a message. Even though gingerbread keyboard is checked in input preferences.

Is there any way to use the stock froyo or gingerbread keyboards with the Syndicate Frozen 1.2 ROM?

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Re: Is there a way to use stock android keyboard on sydicate rom?

I've just installed the Syndicate Frozen 1.2 ROM that everyone seems to love so much, but was frustrated to find that it will not let me use the stock Android keyboard. I HATE swype. I found the gingerbread keyboard and downloaded it, and installed it using ASTRO file manager, but the phone will still won't let me use anything other than swype (or of course, the physical keyboard), for messaging etc. If i turn swype off, the text field tells me to simply open the keyboard to type a message. Even though gingerbread keyboard is checked in input preferences.

Is there any way to use the stock froyo or gingerbread keyboards with the Syndicate Frozen 1.2 ROM?

This is a strange issue. My first idea would be to uninstall the gingerbread keyboard you installed. Then I would install this one from the market: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.moo.android.inputmethod.latin.free&feature=search_result

It is possible that the one you installed isn't installing the necessary IME.apk to run properly.

alexweidner

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

This is a strange issue. My first idea would be to uninstall the gingerbread keyboard you installed. Then I would install this one from the market: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.moo.android.inputmethod.latin.free&feature=search_result

It is possible that the one you installed isn't installing the necessary IME.apk to run properly.

just tried installing that one from the market, went to preferences and turned it on. but in the messaging app, the text field still says "Open keyboard to compose message"

Pressing and holding the text field, now that swype is disabled in the settings, does nothing.

.....help?

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

just tried installing that one from the market, went to preferences and turned it on. but in the messaging app, the text field still says "Open keyboard to compose message"

Pressing and holding the text field, now that swype is disabled in the settings, does nothing.

.....help?

Alright I installed the same keyboard and had the same issue. When I went to settings>local and input> there was 2 gingerbread keyboards. I unchecked on then the other and it worked.

Reactions: alexweidner

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRG582