Rooted Gingerbread Question

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I am running Froyo Rooted and would like to go to Gingerbread rooted.

Is there a step by step guide somewhere on the internet?

I used Z-root to one touch root my Droid X with Froyo.

If I root will I still be able to tether too?

droidxnoob85

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Droid X Gingerbread

I was one of the first to update to the new tasty Gingerbread 2.3.3. Ill give you a few hints then direct you to this How-to.

1. You have to SBF to 2.3.340. (That icky original thing put out by verizon, yeah you need that);)

2. Then you want to root, and download (also from the How-to) the Droid 2 Bootstrapper. I know it sounds funny, but the Droid X bootstrap does not work for this leak, for some inane reason.

3. Install the dxgingerbread .zip file that youve placed in the root directry of your SD card (after wiping cache/data of course) and reboot.

4. You WILL bootloop about 4 or 5 times, roughly 30 sec to 45 sec before it starts.

5. Enjoy.

The Links

THis is the How To Guide (Credit to MDW @ P3Droid)

My Droid World Forums - Droid X Gingerbread (2.3.3) - Release - PreRooted

All the download links should be in there, if you need any of the files, write me back and ill get some links up to send them to ya!

Good Luck

NegativeCreep

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
There's a whole sub-forum if you scroll up a bit on the main forum for ROMs, Rooting, etc. There are multiple step by step threads available. It's not a difficult process but it can be time consuming. Also be sure you've got your data backed up to Google's servers (contacts, calendars, emails, etc) before you even think about going further

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I was one of the first to update to the new tasty Gingerbread 2.3.3. Ill give you a few hints then direct you to this How-to.

1. You have to SBF to 2.3.340. (That icky original thing put out by verizon, yeah you need that);)

2. Then you want to root, and download (also from the How-to) the Droid 2 Bootstrapper. I know it sounds funny, but the Droid X bootstrap does not work for this leak, for some inane reason.

3. Install the dxgingerbread .zip file that youve placed in the root directry of your SD card (after wiping cache/data of course) and reboot.

4. You WILL bootloop about 4 or 5 times, roughly 30 sec to 45 sec before it starts.

5. Enjoy.

The Links

THis is the How To Guide (Credit to MDW @ P3Droid)

My Droid World Forums - Droid X Gingerbread (2.3.3) - Release - PreRooted

All the download links should be in there, if you need any of the files, write me back and ill get some links up to send them to ya!

Good Luck

He shouldn't have to SBF with rooted Froyo. Just use the Droid X Bootstrapper (NOT Droid 2). You can update to Gingerbread from rooted Froyo without SBFing.

Reactions: xelhabb

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
#1. Where do I get the bootstrapper? And how do I use it?

Sorry for asking so much but I downloaded Froyo OTA and then rooted with the one-touch Z-4 Root application.

I have one game I purchased. I assume it will be wiped and I will have to download it again. Will I have to pay?

Thanks in advance!

NegativeCreep

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
#1. Where do I get the bootstrapper? And how do I use it?

Sorry for asking so much but I downloaded Froyo OTA and then rooted with the one-touch Z-4 Root application.

I have one game I purchased. I assume it will be wiped and I will have to download it again. Will I have to pay?

Thanks in advance!

Bootstrapper is available in the market. It's literally got two buttons to get it going. There's a Youtube video walkthrough somewhere around here that takes you step by step. It's a very simple process if you follow it along. It's in one of the instrucional threads here on this board. [Edit: Now I'm not really finding it. There's several video tutorials on youtube, though. Search "droidx bootstrap tutorial" and you should be good to go]

You will not have to re-purchase your apps. You may have to re-download them, so make a note of which free apps you've installed just in case.

Last edited:

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
And make sure USB Debugging is OFF

If the user uses the SDK for any reason or Titanium Backup USB Debugging will need to be on for all functions to work, so downloading the Droid 2 Bootstrap is wise to use once you install Gingerbread.... I had one time I loaded a few patches that the device didn't like and entered bootloop and because I stayed with Droid X version and had debugging on I could not boot into BS recovery to restore...

Droid X BS will work fine if you do not use USB Debugging but it you use it at all it is best to install the Droid X version once you get GB installed.

Just a heads up...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fufukadan120