Rooting

mikebear

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I really want to root this phone (I never have before), I've read a bit about it and understand most of it, but I'm worried because I don't understand all of it.
I went over to XDA and the instructions looked very easy. Then I went through the thread and one person made a comment and the answer was that he had to have certain other files not listed in the instructions in certain folders I'm not familiar with. Now I'm scared again.
Has anyone done it here - is it really simple?
I would love to find someone local to me to do it with me, but I have no idea how to find someone - any suggestions?
In desperation I was considering paying one of these over-the-internet rooting sites, but they worry me too and I wouldn't be learning anything either. But I really want this bloatware off the phone and out of my RAM, there's a bunch of items that just keep restarting and running in the background regardless of how often I kill them.

All advice welcome and thank you in advance.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I really want to root this phone (I never have before), I've read a bit about it and understand most of it, but I'm worried because I don't understand all of it.
I went over to XDA and the instructions looked very easy. Then I went through the thread and one person made a comment and the answer was that he had to have certain other files not listed in the instructions in certain folders I'm not familiar with. Now I'm scared again.
Has anyone done it here - is it really simple?
I would love to find someone local to me to do it with me, but I have no idea how to find someone - any suggestions?
In desperation I was considering paying one of these over-the-internet rooting sites, but they worry me too and I wouldn't be learning anything either. But I really want this bloatware off the phone and out of my RAM, there's a bunch of items that just keep restarting and running in the background regardless of how often I kill them.

All advice welcome and thank you in advance.

I can't give any advise, but good move in not doing anything, since you aren't sure. And it would be best to try to do it yourself.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
You need to set up android SDK on your PC. Then move certain files into the SDK to get adb to work. You all so need the USB drivers for your phone. Once SDK is running its pretty simple. Best bet is look for simple android SDK. Also watch YouTube videos.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

truckroot

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
There are many you tube videos on how to set up android sdk. U need that to get adb access. Once you have that, you can get the LG Flash tool. Learn to use that before rooting so u have a way get out of a jam, like a bootloop. That's the hard stuff.

Rooting is easy, and there's a step by step video on the xda thread on rooting the G2. If ur scared, be patient and read everything till u understand it. Then read again! No need to pay for something that can b done yourself.

Posted via Android Central App

mikebear

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I DID IT! first root. So proud of myself.
Here are my comments for anyone else thinking about it for the first time:
You really need to look around and read different things. For example the thread on XDA doesn't mention anything about the Android SDK (a sort of DOS program to interact with your phone) until later in the thread and then in response to a question - the basic instructions do not mention the SDK and assume you know what that is and how to use it. It also says make sure you have the ADB drivers installed with no direction where to find them. The first ones I found were ATT only but were not labeled as such and the SDK wouldn't recognize my phone and I had to troubleshoot that.
The youtube videos are helpful (for both the SDK and the root) and there is now a video for the root in the XDA thread (as Truckroot mentions above), but it didn't exist when I started this project.
That being said, once I got the SDK working properly, it was like a 30 second project and I couldn't believe how easy it was.
I'm proud to be rooted.
Thank you to everyone here (on this tread and all the other rooting threads where people have helped and encouraged) and to all those over at XDA.

trunks527

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Congrats. Shame the bootloader is locked down still. Would love to see some developers start pumping out the roms

Sent from my LG G2

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRG582