RSS / News reader app with full article offline reading

iamstevie

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi all

I have been looking for an RSS / news reader app that will retrieve a full article and store this for offline reading (from a website that requires a login).

While I've found a (very!) small number of apps that will allow me to access the full article, they do not seem to download it for offline viewing (clicking on the article when in aeroplane mode for example, will give a network connection error) - even when there are in-app settings that seem to suggest its possible!

I have tried DOZENS of apps (examples copied below!) which all fail in one way or another. I'm not sure if I am configuring these apps wrong, or if there is an issue with the source website - specifically:

http://citywire.co.uk/wealth-manager/latest-news.rss
(or here: https://citywire.co.uk/wealth-manager/news)

The issues I seem to face:
- I can add the feed, but it will not show the full article (just the abbreviated RSS)
- The full article is accessible, but not downloaded or otherwise available offline
- The articles are not accessible due to need to log into my account on the website
- The articles are not accessible, with a website generated error page (which suggests javascript is disabled and to do a 'captcha', which is not visible on the reader)

I used to use Google G-Reader 3 or 4 years ago, which worked very well. The APK no longer works and its replacement app ("News+") is buggy and does not otherwise download the full article offline either.

Please can someone kindly help?

Apps tested (not exhaustive!):
- Aggregator
- Feedly
- Feed Me
- Flipboard
- Freeder
- Google News / Playstand
- Inoreader
- News+
- Newsflow
- Newscracker
- Plenary
- RSS Feeder
- RSS Reader
- RSS Savvy
- RSS Widget
- Simple RSS

Last edited:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, I fear that you are going to have a hard time finding an answer to your question here. The specificity of your request would involve finding someone who would use the app the same as you intend to. While many may use RSS feeds to get news the likelihood of finding that one person who also wants everything you do is small in a general forum setting, and more specifically, in the general Ask a Question area. The best advice I can give would be to Google apps similar to G-Reader or replacements for G-Reader and see if you find anything there that you haven't tried.

You could also take one or two of the apps that came close or sounded like they should do what you wanted and contacting the app developer. There are usually links to them on their app page at the Play Store or in the app settings. It couldn't hurt to ask if it's possible or if they would consider adding similar features in future updates. You never know perhaps as you eluded to earlier, the feature exists and just needed to be configured and they could tell how.

Best wishes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia