S-OFF from free to paid

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: S-OFF must be free!

I totally agree this thread should be deleted because some people are acting with rage and hatred, the other day there was this French article about how freedom of speech is destroyed by the guardians of the intellectual orthodoxy followers. The way people reacted to my OP with such hatred and insults is an absolute proof

I don't think anybody was acting out with "rage " or "hatred"! Haha! I do, however, think that the open minded people on this thread understand why Sunshine is a "paid for" service.

From my fingers to you on the M8, M9 or the Chromebook! :D

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

I don't think anybody was acting out with "rage " or "hatred"! Haha! I do, however, think that the open minded people on this thread understand why Sunshine is a "paid for" service.

Nope!
Open minded people are the ones who understand all points of views, not the only one and popular that all others are saying, this is called blind following which is totally the opposite of open minded.

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

Nope!
Open minded people are the ones who understand all points of views, not the only one and popular that all others are saying, this is called blind following which is totally the opposite of open minded.

I completely understand where you are coming from but, things change. Hence why I said open "minded people". You have limited yourself to one way of thinking. That would be "closed minded".........

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I think it's safe bet that we all wish or think it should be free. Because we aren't B****ing about it and believe the Dev has the right to charge doesn't mean we aren't open minded. And because it use to be free really doesn't have anything to do with it today. Times have change and we need to roll with the punches or get out of the ring.

jcase

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
(I'm one of the sunshine developers)

No XDA does NOT get a cut, nor do they forbid other developers from making one. XDA has absolutely nothing to do with it, funds go to myself, and the other developers working on it. Only reason you haven't seen a free one, is that someone hasn't made and released one.

We put $10,000s into this, and 1000s of hours. We feel we deserve reimbursement for the money and time spent. Anyone disagreeing with this or is trying to call me a thief, is welcome to come build my fence for me, and pay for the material.

SunShine was never free, and is 100% different from other options. Stop comparing them, if they were not different then the others would still work. Fact is, mobile security landscape has changed, its infinitely harder now to develop exploits for devices, than it was 4, 3, 2 or even just 1 year ago.

Don't like it? I don't see you investing the time and money into it, to release it for free. Why not?

Last edited:

UpNorthSurf

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I would have no issue with paying, if it was not a ripoff. Firstly, I know nothing about rooting and unlocking, but I have a Moto Droid Ultra and knew if I accepted the latest OTA, I would be at KitKat 4.4 and my FoxFi app would no longer work, based on the FoxFi notes. I read about Sunshine and contacted them. I explained my situation clearly and was told by Justin I should install Sunshine and then install the OTA. I then asked again, as I wanted to be sure about taking the OTA, as I really wanted FoxFi to work. I was again told to install Sunshine and take the OTA. I paid for and installed Sunshine. Then phone is unlocked. I then Contacted them again to tell them the phone was unlocked and were they sure if I installed the OTA, FoxFi would work. They said yes. So I installed the OTA and guess what...FoXFi no longer works!

I emailed Justin and asked him for help. He told me it was not his problem and to contact FoxFi. I reminded him again that he told me to take the OTA. He again said it is not their problem and would not refund my money or help me. I had some choice words for him at that point, as I was basically ripped off. Again, I don't mind paying, but as I was taken advantage of by Sunshine and the root ninja.

I've been open from the beginning that this is not my area of expertise. With all that said, can anyone offer any advice on what to do next so that FoxFi works again? I heard there is someone who can root your phone and solve this from a distance? Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm just a guy looking for help, who was taken advantage of. Thank you in advance for your help.

Just an update on this. There is a Beaups at Sunshine that has been very responsive. I still have not solved my issues with wireless tethering, but he has sent some links that will hopefully help me get to where I need to be. Again, paying for this is not an issue, especially if it is supported. There are those of us that don't know about unlocking and rooting and companies that can help us for s small fee, are appreciated.

Last edited:

AeonWorld

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
jcase
I understand you have put some awesome amount of work into making this thing, I respect that, and you have every right to accept money by making it paid. But actually am also not fully supportive towards the explanation, every hacker in this world does that, time, money, risks ( jail ).... its not a new thing, no offense but hackers like those who does more than what you do too have gone through a rough patch to make their contributions. Most of those stuffs that we download pirated, cracks, exploits.... are free but they dont come cheap to them, some find several ways to make money, like ads..,
most hackers are under the verge of getting sued, they are close to the ledge of falling into one of the jails in this world, but still they do it and for free, its what hackers are for actually, you can call yourself as an engineer or something ( recalling one made an example of plumber ) but you re not, exploits are always against the makers, the company always try to patch them,
so you guys are more or less like any hacker. I am grateful to all those hackers who made my life easier cause they were free. So in short, good job, but explanation might have been this "we need money, we dont do free" , all the hours.. its not an explanation, mozilla,opera,chrome,google,facebook,whatsapp... everything is free but of course they have their ways to make money, but they all started the same way and never purchased a single penny from the users.
Of course the users here have every right and reasons to back you up, but this is the truth, whether you like it or not, so all that "money time thing.." is not a good sentence, and its a moto of a good hacker to provide things free. Again good work, I really need s-off but I cant cause its paid, I better wait for some other "developer" / a good "hacker" . Good luck. Just sharing my view. In every dev's or hackers page bottom they will write this "we put so much....... so please contribute", not just devs, companies like firefox does the same thing :D . Good luck with your product, but man those words just will **** of any hacker in the world (not me , but as a friend of one I have to say or else I will be sad...). Others please dont be mad, its just a view, you and the devs can think about that if you want, what you really want to say, I know is "buy or just get lost", am on the later option, still I dont have to pay for the views I have to post in this forum, I guess, and I hope the admin wont mind either. peace.

Thank you,
Aeon.

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Regardless of any other fact, they are human beings living in a society that is monetarily driven.The phone your holding in your hand, reading this, PROVES this. Services are services. No matter whether it's a taxi or an exploit. Maybe if everyone would stop putting labels on EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE, we all might be able to be more understanding of another. You want free, find another society to live in. People have families and $#!+.

Digitally assigned space taken up by my Chromebook, M9 or N9 <(•.•)>

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
XDA is forbidding any alternative for sunshine, every-time someone ask for an alternative he will see his thread deleted so they are not encouraging other devs to work on S-OFF but $un$hine team.
Also another BS from $un$hine: you have to pay for every single device you buy so 25x multiple times, Micro$oft style!

beaups

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
That is not true. Nobody has provided an alternative to sunshine and the threads that are getting closed/deleted are much like this thread, arguing about the cost of sunshine. They all end up the same.

I've seen javacard service threads get deleted for not being in the paid apps section, which is where paid services/apps belong.

There is no conspiracy here, regardless of how bad you want there to be one.

--beaups

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
That is not true. Nobody has provided an alternative to sunshine and the threads that are getting closed/deleted are much like this thread, arguing about the cost of sunshine. They all end up the same.

I've seen javacard service threads get deleted for not being in the paid apps section, which is where paid services/apps belong.

There is no conspiracy here, regardless of how bad you want there to be one.

--beaups

I think he just likes entitlements rather than services. I, however have had two M8's and going on my 3rd M9 that I have paid $25 S-OFF. Sunshine will continue to get my money as long as I can continue to flash my carrier versions to dev editions. This is a luxury!!! I thank you guys greatly for the work you put in on these exploits/projects @jcase and @beaups!!!

The ego did not post this

rubicors16

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
explain by q sun and XDA dev , contradict in throughout history smarpthone have been discuciones security placed on them to prevent access to completely customize as your boot loader of the root and etc , then you safety complaints q of sale , and even they complained that they had qa pay press q company , band , line, whatever, and they saw that they can make money, then easily moved to think that freedom and knowledge should be for everyone, paid for freedom and knowledge go from being those who complain of being part of the q control, so that money moves everything.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hohenheimofdarkness