S10+ account delete problem

Droidvines

Nov 26, 2020
Visit site
Hello, I'm new to the forum, and a long time Android user.

I just picked up a used Galaxy S10+ off ebay. It works perfectly, but there’s one big issue. It still had previous user log in information. I was able to delete all old accounts and data, except one old Samsung user account. I followed the recommended process of going to:

1-Settings

2-Accounts and backup

3-Accounts

4-Select account and press remove

When I select the old Samsung account it goes straight to the samsung sign in page and requests user password. The old user’s email is already filled in.

The phone is constantly showing the Samsung log in alert for that account, which is annoying!. It also is interfering with being able to proceed with certain functions.

I know that a factory reset will clear that information, HOWEVER…...I just read that if I factory reset the phone WITHOUT logging into an existing account and then removing it, the phone will go into security mode, and essentially will brick the phone.
What can I do??

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello, I'm new to the forum, and a long time Android user.

I just picked up a used Galaxy S10+ off ebay. It works perfectly, but there’s one big issue. It still had previous user log in information. I was able to delete all old accounts and data, except one old Samsung user account. I followed the recommended process of going to:

1-Settings

2-Accounts and backup

3-Accounts

4-Select account and press remove

When I select the old Samsung account it goes straight to the samsung sign in page and requests user password. The old user’s email is already filled in.

The phone is constantly showing the Samsung log in alert for that account, which is annoying!. It also is interfering with being able to proceed with certain functions.

I know that a factory reset will clear that information, HOWEVER…...I just read that if I factory reset the phone WITHOUT logging into an existing account and then removing it, the phone will go into security mode, and essentially will brick the phone.
What can I do??

Hi, welcome to AC!
Contact the seller and see what they can do or return it

Droidvines

Nov 26, 2020
Visit site
I let the seller know about the problem and they said they had no issues with it?. I don't know how a return would work, since the phone is technically functioning. Is there really nothing that can be done with it in this state?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I let the seller know about the problem and they said they had no issues with it?. I don't know how a return would work, since the phone is technically functioning. Is there really nothing that can be done with it in this state?

They sold a phone with another person account on it , they can take it back and fix or exchange it. You have to be careful buying on eBay especially with phones.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the account owner would need to remove their account from the phone -- there's no way for you to do that. The seller doesn't have any issues with it because they're no longer using the phone -- but if it's impeding your use of it after you paid the seller good money for it, then they should help you resolve the issue. Otherwise, go to eBay's Dispute Resolution Center: https://resolutioncenter.ebay.com/. eBay has good protections for the buyer.

Droidvines

Nov 26, 2020
Visit site
I've inquired about this on the T-mobile forum(I'm with Tmobile), and one person said this.
"My understanding is a hard reset wipes EVERYTHING! Back to “like new” condition and you lose everything in the KNOX section as well"

I don't know what the "KNOX" section is??.. They also suggested I log into the Samsung site and chat with them about it. I already submitted this problem in a Samsung help guide and haven't gotten a response yet.

dpomerance

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
This feature is to prevent stolen phones from being used. If you want to do a hard reset you have to have the password to the Samsung account otherwise it won't reset. Get the seller's password to his Samsung account.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Yep there's a reason phones have these security features, and simply factory resetting won't get around the security or everyone would be doing it. That's why I don't buy used phones anymore.... you don't know what you're getting :eek:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've inquired about this on the T-mobile forum(I'm with Tmobile), and one person said this.
"My understanding is a hard reset wipes EVERYTHING! Back to “like new” condition and you lose everything in the KNOX section as well"

I don't know what the "KNOX" section is??.. They also suggested I log into the Samsung site and chat with them about it. I already submitted this problem in a Samsung help guide and haven't gotten a response yet.
That is not true , you will never get that account off.

Droidvines

Nov 26, 2020
Visit site
I'm shipping it back to the seller. The ebay process is pretty simple and easy. I've never had to return an ebay item ever.
I've already found some more S10+'s on ebay and craigslist to check out............life goes on

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm shipping it back to the seller. The ebay process is pretty simple and easy. I've never had to return an ebay item ever.
I've already found some more S10+'s on ebay and craigslist to check out............life goes on
Be careful on Craigslist, they do lot of scams, ebay try another reputable seller .

Droidvines

Nov 26, 2020
Visit site
Oh I know, craigslist is hit or miss......Exhibit A: yesterday I drove 38mi to buy a blue S10+ in vg cond, exactly what I wanted, and $340!....perfect. Just as I'm about 2mi away I text the guy asking if there's a bank near by....he answers back, "OH NO, thought you weren't coming because you were late(traffic), I just sold it to the next buyer waiting".....WTF!!!!!!
I've bought 4 used phones over the years.....one off craigslist, one refurbished from T-mobile, and two off ebay. Never had any issues, until now. Only advantage of craigslist is you get to see the item in person before committing, and can be cheaper with no shipping. But yeah, ebay does give you at least some security.

Droidvines

Nov 26, 2020
Visit site
Was able to return the phone with a full refund. No hassles ........ Today just got another used S10+ in excellent cond, $366. So far works perfectly!
Samsung definitely made a some strides from the S9 to the S10 ;)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Was able to return the phone with a full refund. No hassles ........ Today just got another used S10+ in excellent cond, $366. So far works perfectly!
Samsung definitely made a some strides from the S9 to the S10 ;)
Glad to hear everything worked out fine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjogi3777