S10 stuck in bootloop, can't access safe or recovery mode, and system keeps failing system update

CaselessJoe

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
Last week I decided to let my Galaxy S10 preform a system update that had been pending for a while, but ever since then, it's kept my phone in a constant bootloop that I can't seem to exit no matter what I do.

The process generally goes from no power, then a simultaneous vibration and samsung/knox protection screen, to darkness again, then rinse and repeat as long as the battery has power.

I tried booting it into safe mode but since the screen never reaches the second logo in the boot process, I assume it'll never work. I also tried booting it into recovery mode, but rather than popping up with a menu, sometimes it attempts to install the system update again with no luck, and reverts back into the bootloop, or sometimes has a split second scenario which looks like it's loading the recovery mode menu, where the "Installing system update" screen appears for a quarter of a second, then followed by an error screen for another quarter of a second. It never reaches the menu however, as the screen goes black afterwards, and resumes the bootloop issue once more.

I can access the download mode screen just fine however, which leads me to wonder if flashing a system update externally would work at retrieving the phone and all it's data? It does say that FRP is On, however, making me wary before proceeding with any custom downloads of any sort.

Any idea what I can do to fix this, or advice for using the custom download mode in general?

CaselessJoe

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
Go into recovery perform factory reset

I can't access recovery; the only two responses the system has to the commands are to attempt to install a system update again, (and fail again) or:

has a split second scenario which looks like it's loading the recovery mode menu, where the "Installing system update" screen appears for a quarter of a second, then followed by an error screen for another quarter of a second. It never reaches the menu however, as the screen goes black afterwards, and resumes the bootloop issue once more.

And I am preforming the button commands in the correct order, I'm pretty sure. Press and hold bixby + volume up, then hold power, then when logo appears on screen let go of power. Then once the android logo appears, let go of both bixby and volume, but any time it gets to that point it either stays in the system update, or does the example above with little difference.

Letting the power drain to the point it powers off, or loading up the download mode menu are my only two options at the moment, as far as I am aware of.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I can't access recovery; the only two responses the system has to the commands are to attempt to install a system update again, (and fail again) or:

And I am preforming the button commands in the correct order, I'm pretty sure. Press and hold bixby + volume up, then hold power, then when logo appears on screen let go of power. Then once the android logo appears, let go of both bixby and volume, but any time it gets to that point it either stays in the system update, or does the example above with little difference.

Letting the power drain to the point it powers off, or loading up the download mode menu are my only two options at the moment, as far as I am aware of.
Ok 2 questions
1. Do you know how to use odin?

2. Are you signed into your Samsung account on the phone ? If so go to find my Samsung device and log in on web browser , hit back up data then send a command to wipe the device see if you be able to navigate on your phone after that

CaselessJoe

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
Ok 2 questions
1. Do you know how to use odin?

2. Are you signed into your Samsung account on the phone ? If so go to find my Samsung device and log in on web browser , hit back up data then send a command to wipe the device see if you be able to navigate on your phone after that

I have installed a version of odin, and what I assume to be the latest software update for my version of the s10 and it's carrier, but I don't know how to use it yet.

Also it appears I did activate the Samsung account once, and there seems to be data in the backup files, but from what I've tried, it doesn't look like I can access my phone in this state, as "find my phone" can't access it while it's offline, and even if it could, the data backup option requires two-step verification, which I never set up, so oh well.

Using odin seems like my best bet, but will using it reset my phone to factory settings again in that case? Or is there a way to save the data thru odin as well?

CaselessJoe

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
Ok , then follow the link I provided to a T and you'll be good to go just make sure battery at least 50 %

It's going to take a while, SamMobile is downloading at the speed of molasses to try and make me upgrade to a premium account instead. Says 6-7 hours for a 4 gb file, and has been at 0.1 gb for an entire 30 mins. :T

CaselessJoe

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
Alright managed to install the firmware through odin, and I managed to access the recovery mode menu afterwards, so that was some progress.

However, the boot loop still existed, and despite wiping the cache partition, loading stock firmware from before the update, and then finally factory resetting the phone, both via the recovery mode's method and flashing the device itself, it never made a difference in the boot loop. From what I can tell, it appears to be either a hardware issue, considering changes to software down to their default settings don't affect it, or a software issue in that something isn't being erased fully somehow, keeping the boot loop bug alive.

Either way, as far as I'm concerned, this thing is a brick by this point. Thanks for the help, though! If anyone has any ideas on what could fix this at this stage (completely reformatted phone) I'd appreciate it, as at the very least I'd have something to sell for some cash to get by with.

jtfwTX

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Alright managed to install the firmware through odin, and I managed to access the recovery mode menu afterwards, so that was some progress.

However, the boot loop still existed, and despite wiping the cache partition, loading stock firmware from before the update, and then finally factory resetting the phone, both via the recovery mode's method and flashing the device itself, it never made a difference in the boot loop. From what I can tell, it appears to be either a hardware issue, considering changes to software down to their default settings don't affect it, or a software issue in that something isn't being erased fully somehow, keeping the boot loop bug alive.

Either way, as far as I'm concerned, this thing is a brick by this point. Thanks for the help, though! If anyone has any ideas on what could fix this at this stage (completely reformatted phone) I'd appreciate it, as at the very least I'd have something to sell for some cash to get by with.

Can you send it in to Samsung? Worth a shot if you don't mind waiting. Either way you were looking at needing a replacement device but this way it may only be temporarily!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

You have warranty or insurance ?