S20 Ultra update?

grosx2

Mar 16, 2020
Visit site
So I just randomly checked for updates and there was one to download. This was the 2nd update I've had; the 1st was available when I unboxed the phone on March 6. I assume that was the March security update I've seen mentioned on here.

The description of this update was "This software update supports enhanced performance and other device improvements"....I think it was 599 MB?

Could this be the rumored fix for the camera issues?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So I just randomly checked for updates and there was one to download. This was the 2nd update I've had; the 1st was available when I unboxed the phone on March 6. I assume that was the March security update I've seen mentioned on here.

The description of this update was "This software update supports enhanced performance and other device improvements"....I think it was 599 MB?

Depending on carrier they will tell you what the latest update brings in >settings>software update> at the bottom last update as in my screen shot tap it and it will expandScreenshot_20200315-202700_Settings.jpeg

grosx2

Mar 16, 2020
Visit site
Hmm, I'm on AT&T, this is what my software update screen currently looks like:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200315-193443_Software update.jpg
    Screenshot_20200315-193443_Software update.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 19

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If it's AT&T, no way it's the camera update lol. I don't think a big camera update like that is going to get certified that easily on a bloated AT&T firmware. Going to take fee more weeks for the update on any of US models including unlocked. Earliest will be including it on the April security update.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I wonder why a camera update has to come from the carrier. If it's software then they should be able to push just the app from Samsung Store or Google Play and they would have done it the moment it was ready so that people don't have to wait for it to be pushed through by carrier.

If it's AT&T, no way it's the camera update lol. I don't think a big camera update like that is going to get certified that easily on a bloated AT&T firmware. Going to take fee more weeks for the update on any of US models including unlocked. Earliest will be including it on the April security update.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I wonder why a camera update has to come from the carrier. If it's software then they should be able to push just the app from Samsung Store or Google Play and they would have done it the moment it was ready so that people don't have to wait for it to be pushed through by carrier.
Yeah Google did a good job over the years trying to separate as many components under Google play services so that the crappy carriers don't come into picture. I think in Samsung's case for this particular scenario, it's part of the firmware and they haven't separated them. It'll good if they can prevent going via carriers and try push them via play store or Galaxy store. The less control the carriers have better for the consumer.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Google and Apple have a fraction of the phones Samsung releases every year so they'll probably never compete with them on timely updates. However they push most bixby updates through the Galaxy store so I don't see why they couldn't fix the camera that way. They would calm a lot of the s20 users and buy them time for the full update.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Google and Apple have a fraction of the phones Samsung releases every year so they'll probably never compete with them on timely updates. However they push most bixby updates through the Galaxy store so I don't see why they couldn't fix the camera that way. They would calm a lot of the s20 users and buy them time for the full update.
It would probably need re architecturing their entire software stack and may be they are already doing that. But they have bigger problems with so many customizations across so many regions/carriers/models etc. Basically their software stack is a spaghetti mess

I'm pretty sure they have money and brains to fix it if they have that mindset. But do they care about it enough is the big question. Only time will tell.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site

Who's your carrier, locked or unlocked, etc.
599MB is a decent size for an update out of nowhere.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Samsung sold 295 million phones last year. Apple did "only" sell 195 million. But include all the iPads they sell per year and take into account they support all their iOS product with updates about 2 to 3 years longer than Samsung. Devices released in 2016 like the iPhone 7 and newer are still getting the lastest iOS version with updates. Add up all those iPhones and iPads, I would say Apple is probably supporting and updating more devices per year than Samsung. Samsung is the one that can't compete on timely updates. Samsung could too if they wanted. If your selling them for $1400 a phone... they should and people shouldn't be letting them off the hook so easily.

Note 8 owner and I don't get OS updates anymore after two years and I can accept that knowing that when I bought... but come on Samsung... you can't keep supporting your apps a little longer and give me something like the latest OneUI also?? Geez.

Last edited:

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Samsung sold 295 million phones last year. Apple did "only" sell 195 million. But include all the iPads they sell per year and take into account they support all their iOS product with updates about 2 to 3 years longer than Samsung. Devices released in 2016 like the iPhone 7 and newer are still getting the lastest iOS version with updates. Add up all those iPhones and iPads, I would say Apple is probably supporting and updating more devices per year than Samsung. Samsung is the one that can't compete on timely updates. Samsung could too if they wanted. If your selling them for $1400 a phone... they should and people shouldn't be letting them off the hook so easily.

Note 8 owner and I don't get OS updates anymore after two years and I can accept that knowing that when I bought... but come on Samsung... you can't keep supporting your apps a little longer and give me something like the latest OneUI also?? Geez.

Your Note 8 will still at least get security updates. Not as frequently but you'll still get them. It's easier for Apple to control their devices since they're the only ones that can touch them. No carriers get involved in the process. Samsung also caters to more countries as well so they have so many more variations to handle There's pros and cons to both but Samsung has only released two OS updates on all their flagship devices for a long time. Can they support OS upgrades longer, probably, but it's also a business and it's Samsungs way of making people buy the latest and greatest more often. I personally don't keep a device longer than two years anyway so it doesn't bother me.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It's easier for Apple to control their devices since they're the only ones that can touch them. No carriers get involved in the process.

No one says Samsung to bend over back to the crappy carriers. May be they don't have the balls to say no to the carriers and have them crap up or touch their firmware. I love Samsung phones but Apple knows how to keep the carriers in their place and take control of their device experience as compared to Samsung. I don't keep devices more than a year at max and don't buy carrier phones, so nothing affects me. It's just the way Samsung handles having different models/firmwares and all the fragmentation within one and multiple models bothers me in general.

At the end it is what is and people can make their own choices. Just my personal opinion.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
No one says Samsung to bend over back to the crappy carriers. May be they don't have the balls to say no to the carriers and have them crap up or touch their firmware. I love Samsung phones but Apple knows how to keep the carriers in their place and take control of their device experience as compared to Samsung.

At the end it is what is and people can make their own choices.
Oh I hear you. It's all about money. Samsung could definitely tell the carriers to f off but they won't. Since Apple has no competition as far as iOS is concerned they don't have to worry about that. But there are others in the Android space that Samsung will do what they can to make sure carriers will push their devices over the others.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Oh I hear you. It's all about money. Samsung could definitely tell the carriers to f off but they won't. Since Apple has no competition as far as iOS is concerned they don't have to worry about that. But there are others in the Android space that Samsung will do what they can to make sure carriers will push their devices over the others.
Valid points but you would think Samsung is in a strong enough position to push back. To their credit they have done much better compared to the dark days few years back. I guess it's always fear behind their back that eventually the carriers can partner with someone else to crap up the phones and never get out of this bad relationship

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzle