S21U...Coming from an S10+

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
All I can say is "wow" this thing is pretty much about perfect. Battery life is superb and it easily gets me through a full day with pretty heavy casual use. I'm not a gamer so I'm not really pressing it to its limits. Charging with a 25 watt charger is incredibly fast. I get about 1.5% per minute of charging. I went from 44% to 90% in under half an hour. I really don't understand why some people are complaining about it not having 45 or 65 watt capabilities. The charge speed at 25 watts is just amazing.
The screen is amazing and with the variable refresh rate it's buttery smooth.
I was going back and forth between the S21U and the S22U and I'm very happy I went with the S21U. It was almost impossible to find a brand new one but I was finally able to find one at Verizon corporate store even though their website had the S21U as "out of stock/unavailable."
And, they're giving me a $700 trade-in credit for my S10+. Can't figure that one out, but, hey, I'm not asking any questions.
Call quality is superb and the speakers are OK. Not great, but loud enough and undistorted so, fine for speakerphone calls and the occasional YouTube video. The Wi-Fi radio is great and I've had no problem getting strong connections to whatever Wi-Fi network I'm attached to. Similarly, Bluetooth is strong and crystal clear through my car and wireless headphones.
Haven't fooled around yet with the cameras but, by all reports, I expect them to be terrific. Certainly a significant upgrade from the S10+.
I use Nova launcher as I've never liked any iteration of Samsung's One UI. Is there any reason to reconsider the use of One UI now that it's in its 4th generation?
I also use SwiftKey as I've never found any other keyboard app that does as much as SwiftKey.
Can't really think of any negatives other than the fact that this is a very heavy phone.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Happy new phone day! The S21 Ultra is a very nice device. What colour did you get?

You were asking about OneUI. The only thing I would say is give it a try. You can always do a backup of your Nova settings and then restore them if you decide that you still dislike OneUI. I switch back and forth between Nova and OneUI depending on what I feel like on any given day. I also switch between the stock Samsung keyboard, SwiftKey and Gboard.

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I made the same move last July (S10+ to S21U). It most certainly is a more hefty or substantial phone...feels nice and solid. FWIW, I don't even use the 25W charger. I use the adaptive charging bricks from the S10+ days. Never a problem.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Happy new phone day! The S21 Ultra is a very nice device. What colour did you get?

You were asking about OneUI. The only thing I would say is give it a try. You can always do a backup of your Nova settings and then restore them if you decide that you still dislike OneUI. I switch back and forth between Nova and OneUI depending on what I feel like on any given day. I also switch between the stock Samsung keyboard, SwiftKey and Gboard.

I got the Phantom Black. It was incredibly hard to even find any S21U. Samsung had none and the Vz website had them listed as "out of stock." I got a very nice Vz rep on the phone who located a brand new one that one of their corporate retail stores still had in stock so I really lucked out. I would have preferred silver but I was just so happy to get one at all that I didn't care. Great phone. Couldn't be happier. I probably would have been fine with the S22U but I really hate the boxy shape and I'd never use the S-pen plus I think the camera housing is more aesthetically pleasing on the S21U.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Best Buy had a deal recently for the S21 Ultra T-Mobile variant for 850 without trade in. That was a pretty good deal. But, given that it was only 128GB with no SD card support, I was reluctant to jump on it. If it was a bit more like 256 I would have felt more comfortable letting go of my Note 10+ with 256GB memory and my 256GB SD card in it for it.

Enjoy the new phone though. I think if I was to go for a newer device that's come out within the past year or so, the S21 Ultra is what I would want too. From what I have seen of camera samples, it's one of the best cameras in an Android phone you can get these days.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
And, rather shockingly, Verizon gave me a credit of $700 for my S10+, so I only ended up paying $500 for the S21U.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Crazy. The most T-Mobile will give me for my Note 10+ is 400, so the S21U for me would be like 850+ tax still. I should have jumped on that Best Buy deal lol

1raygin

Jun 24, 2017
Visit site
AT&T is crediting me $800.00 for my S7+ towards an S22+ which should arrive today. I'm keeping my S10+ as a backup since AT&T is accepting any S device in trade, and the S7 was just unused in a drawer. I couldn't turn this deal down.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm so glad you're liking your new S22 Ultra, and that you were able to find a new one from the Verizon corporate store! I can definitely see it as being a big upgrade over the S10+! Glad you were able to find a phone that works for you!