Upgrade woes

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I just recently paid off my S21 Ultra. Now through Samsung, I recently found that I could get the green variant of the unlocked, 512gb S23 Ultra for around 670 after taxes if I traded in my S21 Ultra. I only paid around 600 for my S21U, and they would be giving me 570 in trade in credit, along with 180 instant credit for the green version of the S23U. That is a pretty sweet deal. Considering I would be getting more than I paid for it essentially. Unfortunately, I don't have 700 dollars. I actually played with the S23 a bit at the store and man, what a wonderfully massive, slick device though. Super bright screen. Top notch. Having a built in S-pen again would certainly be cool, even though I wasn't really a regular user when I had my Note 10+.

I could also get a 256gb, T-Mobile carrier variant for around 400-something if I traded in my S21U. These deals are so tempting... But honestly, I've only had my S21U for like 8 months and it does everything I need it to. I probably won't upgrade... But again, so tempting.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: Joshua Luther1

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I just recently paid off my S21 Ultra. Now through Samsung, I recently found that I could get the green variant of the unlocked, 512gb S23 Ultra for around 670 after taxes if I traded in my S21 Ultra. I only paid around 600 for my S21U, and they would be giving me 570 in trade in credit, along with 180 instant credit for the green version of the S23U. That is a pretty sweet deal. Considering I would be getting more than I paid for it essentially. Unfortunately, I don't have 700 dollars. I actually played with the S23 a bit at the store and man, what a wonderfully massive, slick device though. Super bright screen. Top notch. Having a built in S-pen again would certainly be cool, even though I wasn't really a regular user when I had my Note 10+.

I could also get a 256gb, T-Mobile carrier variant for around 400-something if I traded in my S21U. These deals are so tempting... But honestly, I've only had my S21U for like 8 months and it does everything I need it to. I probably won't upgrade... But again, so tempting.

Any thoughts?
It is tempting to upgrade. I'm tempted almost daily to trade in my Pixel 7 Pro and return to using a Samsung phone. I have the Galaxy watch 5 and Tab S8. I don't really care about all of my devices being Samsung and communicating perfectly with one another. I just feel like the S23 ultra would blow the 7 Pro out of the water. But I can't justify the cost. I've only had this phone since it came out last year. I would have to pay it off and then trade it in. I need to be wise and not take on more debt. The only way I'd justify it is by selling my Tab S8 to finish paying that off and my Pixel. But I've really loved having a tablet to consume media on. I've thought about getting one of the smaller S23's but I'm not sure I want to be committed to one of those for 36 months.

I had the S21 ultra for a short time and it took some awesome pictures and videos. I then traded it in for the S22+ and regretted that decision. I knew it was a downgrade but I justified it by getting the Tab S8 at the same time when they were released. They were killer deals. I'm paying Samsung $50/month for the phone, tablet and watch and I'm paying Google $10/month for the Pixel. I'm trying to pay a little extra each month to pay it off a little quicker.

My experience with the 22 plus wasn't great. Battery life wasn't good and the camera had shutter lag. It was difficult to capture quick photos in the moment. That's why I'm very reluctant to get another mid range flagship. I think the extra ram in the 7 Pro and the ultra makes a difference in the camera performance. I have no shutter lag whatsoever on the Pixel. My only issue with it is it doesn't do well in direct sunlight and it tends to overheat quickly when I'm outside.

Looking back, I should have kept the S21 ultra but I wanted the tablet and Samsung made it easy to trade in and get those two devices. Verizon for me also has the best deal as I can't take on any more credit through Samsung nor do I want to. I'm basically looking for a way to get the S23 ultra without having to pay more per month than I am now. It's kind of impossible unless I pay off one or two devices. My tablet is definitely a luxury but every day I have it, it becomes more of a necessity. If I had to financially give it up, I could and would.

I'd be willing to try out Apple again if I didn't have the Galaxy watch which isn't compatible with iOS.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I are going to Punta Cana in 2 1/2 weeks so it'll give me the opportunity to test out the Pixel in some hot weather and maybe make my decision whether to keep it or not easier. Maybe.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I've got an S21 Ultra and an S23 Ultra and, even though the S21 is an Exynos, I really don't think you are missing out by not upgrading.

Unless you are REALLY into the integrated S-pen (which yu probably aren't) there really is very little difference between them in the real world. And third party cases fit the S21 better.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali