S22 Ultra and Netflix app not showing the Cast button

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Sharing in the event it may help someone else.

Recently the Netflix app on my S22 Ultra stopped showing the Chromecast icon. I tried the steps in https://help.netflix.com/en/node/58351 and it did not resolve the problem. So, as a workaround, I installed Netflix on my Pixel 5, and right away the Chromecast icon was present in the Netflix app. Fast forward a few days, and the Pixel 5 based Netflix app also did not show the Chromecast icon. In both the Ultra and Pixel 5 cases, the Google Home app was always able to see/manage the Chromecast device.

Last night I chatted with Netflix support, and from that one step I may have missed earlier was checking for the Google Play Services update. On the Ultra, I searched in Settings for "Google Play System Update" and this returned a result for "About phone\Google Play system update". Clicking on that opens "Settings\Software information". Clicking on the "Google Play system update" then opens another page that checks for an update. Mine is on the April 1, 2023 version, and no updates were available when checked. I have always assumed (perhaps incorrectly now) that the Google Play system update would be automatically updated via the Google Play framework.

So, on a hunch I decided to reset the Chromecast. After resetting and joining back to WiFi network and verifying that the Chromecast was visible/manageable via the Google Home app, I opened up Netflix on the S22 Ultra, and the Chromecast icon was present, and I was able to cast to the Chromecast and its associated TV.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this tip. This will be helpful.
Thanks. I'm not sure yet if resetting the Chromecast is a long-term workaround or fix. Until recently, I've had zero problems casting from Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime apps for longer than I can remember. So far have only encountered the problem with the Netflix app, although that does not mean it is a Netflix app problem.

While out and about, I'd watch downloaded content offline (the S22 Ultra is a "mini-tablet" and WiFi only device at this time). I do wonder prior to the problem listed above, if the Netflix app became confused or somehow thought there was no WiFi connection available once I returned home. In that case, I had to force close the Netflix app, turn WiFi off and then back on (on the S22 Ultra), and then once opened again the Netflix app would show the Cast icon.

Will update if the problem stated above resurfaces.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Same problem resurfaced last night. S22 Ultra based Amazon Prime Video and Disney+ apps have no problem as the Cast icon is present. Not sure what is going on with the Netflix app. At this point, the Chromecast reset workaround lasted less than two days.

Not going to worry about it and spend more time on troubleshooting. Maybe a future update for the Netflix app or Chromecast/Google Play Services will resolve.

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I had this problem recently with my Roku and screen sharing my phone to it. None of the Cast icons were there so I couldn't do it. Turns out you have to swipe down to get to all the top panel settings and turn on the "Smart View" button which is on the second screen of icons for me. That was it and my phone paired to the Roku and the cast icons were now present.

Reactions: Trees

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Received a Netflix app update two nights ago. Now the Cast icon appears in the app, and it can cast and works as expected. Will see if the update resolves the problem.

Interestingly, the night before the update, I put the Chromecast in Guest mode, and then the app could see and cast to the Chromecast. Guest mode may end up being another potential workaround if the issue reappears later.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Do like I did, uninstall updates to Chromecast. That's fixed it immediately.
I'll keep that in mind if the issue appears again. So far since the update mentioned above (and a few more since then) the Netflix app has been working fine and shows the Cast icon as expected.

Reactions: jlost