S22 Ultra, no option for widgets[Solved]

lnomad

Jan 16, 2023
Visit site
My wife recently upgraded to the S22 Ultra from Spectrum Mobile. We tried to follow the steps to add a contact widget so that she could have a shortcut to the contacts she calls the most but when long-holding the home screen, the only thing that pops up is a transparent widget-like rectangle, and there's no option for widgets on the bottom. The only options on the bottom of the screen are wallpapers and system settings. And, when we press wallpapers, nothing happens so that's not working either.

Now, she did have her pictures, contacts and some apps transferred over from her older Note phone and she did have the contact widget set up on her Note. It did transfer over and all the contacts worked at first but now some of them won't make a call when pressed. The ones that do work, have small white rectangle on the bottom left, while the ones that won't call out have a blank rectangle on the bottom left. So we wanted to first of all, delete and re-add the non-working contacts to the existing widget but for the life of us, couldn't figure out how. Also no way to delete that entire widget if that's even what it is.

Any ideas?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: S22 Ultra, no option for widgets

Welcome to AC!

So long press empty page on home screen then select widget>contact >choose 1x1 contact then continue these steps to add more to home screen

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site

My wife recently upgraded to the S22 Ultra from Spectrum Mobile. We tried to follow the steps to add a contact widget so that she could have a shortcut to the contacts she calls the most but when long-holding the home screen, the only thing that pops up is a transparent widget-like rectangle, and there's no option for widgets on the bottom. The only options on the bottom of the screen are wallpapers and system settings. And, when we press wallpapers, nothing happens so that's not working either.

Now, she did have her pictures, contacts and some apps transferred over from her older Note phone and she did have the contact widget set up on her Note. It did transfer over and all the contacts worked at first but now some of them won't make a call when pressed. The ones that do work, have small white rectangle on the bottom left, while the ones that won't call out have a blank rectangle on the bottom left. So we wanted to first of all, delete and re-add the non-working contacts to the existing widget but for the life of us, couldn't figure out how. Also no way to delete that entire widget if that's even what it is.

Any ideas?

Is she using the stock Samsung launcher or Nova or another third party launcher? I use Nova and that sounds like the behavior nova gives when you long press anywhere on the home screen when you have the nova home screen settings locked

If unsure, go to Settings, Apps, Choose default apps and then look at Home App. If it doesn't show One UI Home, you are using a third party launcher and each of them have different methods to add a widget to the screen

Sent from my SM-S906U using AC Forums mobile app

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

I can confirm that both one UI and Nova you access widgets by long pressing on the home screen. with Nova you have to press home screen if its locked.

lnomad

Jan 16, 2023
Visit site

Thanks all, I found the issue and thank goodness, easy fix. That daily weather home app had somehow changed the permissions of the phone so once I went to settings > Apps > one ui and looked at the default, it was set to the daily weather. Changed it to what it should be, and now everything is working as normal and the wife is happy again.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Thanks all, I found the issue and thank goodness, easy fix. That daily weather home app had somehow changed the permissions of the phone so once I went to settings > Apps > one ui and looked at the default, it was set to the daily weather. Changed it to what it should be, and now everything is working as normal and the wife is happy again.
Awesome glad to hear that I'll mark this thread as solved