S23 Ultra full charge in 1 hour 50 minutes normal?

penphones23

Aug 18, 2023
Visit site
Hi everyone 👋

Please help if you can

I have a new Samsung S23 Ultra that charges slowly. It takes about 1 hour 50 minutes at about a rate of 1%/minute regardless of how drained the battery is, or what charger I use.

I tried everything... make sure super fast charge turned on, make super fast 2.0 indicator showing, factory reset device, use different chargers, use different cables, turn phone completely off while charging, everything I can think of or read on the internet.

I understand that the S23 Ultra charges very fast at low battery % and then drops off towards the end. This is not the case at all for me. In 30 minutes, it goes from 0% to about 30%.

I took it to the local store I purchases it from and they ran a Samsung tool diagnostic on it and said it was normal and they charged it themselves and claimed 1 hour 50 minutes is normal and anything less than 2 hours is normal.

I am about to resubmit the phone to the Samsung main dealer so they can evaluate the phone.

Is this normal for Samsung S23 Ultra? I want to know before I hear anything from the dealer and I want to know what to do next with this local store that claims this is normal.

Thanks everyone in advance!

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Think that's the normal rate for 10w charging.

It's not as simple as trying different chargers and cables, you need the *right* charger and cable. I can't tell you if that is the normal charging speed unless I know what charger and cable you are using.

If you are using a charger that came in a box with a phone 5 years ago, then yes, it's normal.

EDIT: On re-reading your post you say it shows "super fastt charging 2.0" while charging? If that's the case I'm going to correct myself and say that no, that is not normal. It would still help to know what charger and cable you are using.

penphones23

Aug 18, 2023
Visit site
Think that's the normal rate for 10w charging.

It's not as simple as trying different chargers and cables, you need the *right* charger and cable. I can't tell you if that is the normal charging speed unless I know what charger and cable you are using.

If you are using a charger that came in a box with a phone 5 years ago, then yes, it's normal.

EDIT: On re-reading your post you say it shows "super fastt charging 2.0" while charging? If that's the case I'm going to correct myself and say that no, that is not normal. It would still help to know what charger and cable you are using.
I tried the Samsung 25W charger that came alone with the phone and the cable inside the box of the S23 Ultra phone.

I also tried this Anker 100W charger along with this Ugreen USB-C 60W cable that easily delivers over 45W current. I also used this Ugreen 100W cable. I'm not sure if it's this exact model but I know for a fact that it charges a large laptop really fast so assume it is a 100W cable.

I also tried various chargers and various cables from friends with varying degrees of power, no difference.

The repair person at the store where I purchased the phone claimed he used a 100W charger.

All of them charge at the same rate at around 1 hour 50 minutes 0 to 100% charge.

Last edited:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I tried the Samsung 25W charger that came alone with the phone and the cable inside the box of the S23 Ultra phone.

I also tried this Anker 100W charger along with this Ugreen USB-C charger that easily delivers over 45W current.

I also tried various chargers from friends with varying degrees of power, no difference.

The repair person at the store where I purchased the phone claimed he used a 100W charger.

All of them charge at the same rate at around 1 hour 50 minutes 0 to 100% charge.
You may just need another cable... The one that comes with the phone only supports 25w, you need a cable that supports 100w charging to get 45w (I know it seems weird, but that is what it is). I don't remember how long it takes to charge using 25w...

Reactions: Laura Knotek

penphones23

Aug 18, 2023
Visit site
You may just need another cable... The one that comes with the phone only supports 25w, you need a cable that supports 100w charging to get 45w (I know it seems weird, but that is what it is). I don't remember how long it takes to charge using 25w...

Please re-read my entire post especially the second line indicting I used the Ugreen cable capable of well over 45W.

I also used other cables from friends that can charge well over 45W. The cable is not an issue here.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Please re-read my entire post especially the second line indicting I used the Ugreen cable capable of well over 45W.

I also used other cables from friends that can charge well over 45W. The cable is not an issue here.
You said it was a charger, not a cable. I can't click the link because it's a US one and it's a pain in the arse to change my country settings (I'm in the UK).

When you say it's "easily capable of 45w" do you mean it's a 100w one? because if not I invite you to read MY previous post again. "

Reactions: penphones23

penphones23

Aug 18, 2023
Visit site
You said it was a charger, not a cable. I can't click the link because it's a US one and it's a pain in the arse to change my country settings (I'm in the UK).

When you say it's "easily capable of 45w" do you mean it's a 100w one? because if not I invite you to read MY previous post again. "
Oh sorry I see that now

I'll go correct it

thanks

OK I corrected the original repost as much as I can. I couldn't find a link to that specific Ugreen cable outside of Amazon US sorry. I also linked another Ugreen cable I use as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Oh sorry I see that now

I'll go correct it

thanks

OK I corrected the original repost as much as I can. I couldn't find a link to that specific Ugreen cable outside of Amazon US sorry. I also linked another Ugreen cable I use as well. Thanks for the heads up.
No worries. As I say, you need a 100w cable. It's a bit counter intuitive, but the version of the charging standard samsung uses needs a built in controller chip, which all 100w cables require but most(maybe all) 60w cables do not have. If your 100w cable doesn't work, I'd try another and if that doesn't work, it sounds like there may be something wrong with the phone.

penphones23

Aug 18, 2023
Visit site
No worries. As I say, you need a 100w cable. It's a bit counter intuitive, but the version of the charging standard samsung uses needs a built in controller chip, which all 100w cables require but most(maybe all) 60w cables do not have.
OK I see what you mean. This is new info for me.

I'm not 100% sure the cable I have right now is 100W cable but I believe it is because it charges my laptop really fast.

The thing is, I also tested an S22 Ultra I took from someone using this same 100W charger and what I believe is a 100W cable. The S22 Ultra I borrowed charged from 29% to 69% in 20 minutes. I then replicated the exact same test with exact same conditions on everything. My phone went from 29% to 50% in that 20 minutes.

So the S22 Ultra I borrowed charged at 2%/minute while mine charged at 1%/minute at exact same conditions using exact same equipment. Keep in mind, this is not from 0%. That S22 Ultra might have been faster if so.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
My 23U was charging slow and I know it says fast charging 2.0 then that disappears now but it turned out I needed a new cable mine was bad. Our old cables were 60W with our 25W brick. We bought new 100W cables and it turns out mine was just bad. I haven't really looked at how long it takes but mine charges pretty fast. I usually am on 30% or less in the morning and i think it's done in an hour or less I'll check tomorrow. But a 45W brick and a 100W cables is the best.

penphones23

Aug 18, 2023
Visit site
There is for sure no problems chargers nor cables. It's definitely the phone.

The question is now what do I do next? do I keep on fighting my warranty?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
When it shows 1hlur 50 minutes what percentage you are on? It might say that in first few minutes of charging does it change after checking 10 /20 minutes of charging?

penphones23

Aug 18, 2023
Visit site
When it shows 1hlur 50 minutes what percentage you are on? It might say that in first few minutes of charging does it change after checking 10 /20 minutes of charging?
It doesn't show 1 hour 50 minutes. It shows super fast charge 2.0 and that it will be full in around 1 hour or less.

When I use my stopwatch and really see how long it takes, I'll clock 1 hour 50 minutes.

penphones23

Aug 18, 2023
Visit site
25w Samsung charger at 7% took 1 hour 15 minutes to full
Thanks!!

This is within expectation

25W should get your 0 to100 in about 1 hour 20 minutes so yours is spot on.

My phone won't get that under any conditions whatsoever.

I handed over to Samsung dealer now and waiting on what they will claim. I explained the situation as carefully as I possible can to them.

This is timed right? I mean you didn't rely on the screen indicator on the S23u? you timed it on a stopwatch?

My phone does inidcate less than an hour to full charge from 0% but never comes close to what's indicated on the phone screen.

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks!!

This is within expectation

25W should get your 0 to100 in about 1 hour 20 minutes so yours is spot on.

My phone won't get that under any conditions whatsoever.

I handed over to Samsung dealer now and waiting on what they will claim. I explained the situation as carefully as I possible can to them.
Ok keep us posted

penphones23

Aug 18, 2023
Visit site
Ok keep us posted
Well to keep you posted....

I just got off a phone call from the Samsung dealer and they told me my phone is void of warranty because of scratches!!!!

I told them the phone is only 4 months old and was utterly free of any scratches when I handed it over and I had pictures of the phone taken before handing it over to repair proving that it had zero scratches anywhere. The phone is basically as new!

I wish I had phone recording option. I requested that they send me an official report with this claim.

I'm furious now

• Sad
Reactions: J Dubbs

penphones23

Aug 18, 2023
Visit site
Well to keep you posted....

I just got off a phone call from the Samsung dealer and they told me my phone is void of warranty because of scratches!!!!

I told them the phone is only 4 months old and was utterly free of any scratches when I handed it over and I had pictures of the phone taken before handing it over to repair proving that it had zero scratches anywhere. The phone is basically as new!

I wish I had phone recording option. I requested that they send me an official report with this claim.

I'm furious now

OK update,

I went to the Samsung official repair shop and they explained that my phone had minor scratches that should not void the warranty at all but they said they were instructed by Samsung to give me back the phone and they don't know why......I just picked it up and I will call Samsung today to find out why am I going through all this..

• Wow
Reactions: J Dubbs