S4 has horrible Pentile Matrix Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAXXTX

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
This thing doesnt have a display of 2160p instead it has 1080p pentile and has only a 13MP camera was hoping to get a 41MP and no 16 core super octos supercharger supremes just a snapdragon and 2600mAh no I rather have a 5000mAh Battery. These are my dealbreakers

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
^Spend 5 minutes with a RGB LCD and you'll see what you've been missing.

PenTile absolutely SUCKS! Compare a HTC One X/EVO LTE to a GS3. They has the same resolution and screen size, yet the HTC One X/EVO LTE look amazingly better. Why? Because for clarity, LCD >>>>>>>>>>>>>PENTILE:
http://r.phonedog.com/shared/images/2012/7/173560-image_AMOLED_vs_LCD.jpg

PenTile and Snapdragon in the US, plus there is no telling if Samsung has fixed the Antenna issues that has been on all their phones (except the N2, apparently). All have me holding out.

I'll be buying a Note 2 now off contract for ~$500 and sit on my upgrade to see what winter brings (Moto X, Note 3, etc).

I also really wish they would have incorporated front facing speakers...

Honestly I agree,
I have the evo lte and the screen was amazing, sprint not so much lol
As for the note 2, i have it now and the screen is great, it may not have the ppi as others, but it clarity is hard to beat, but I did love my evo ltes screen.

Sent from my ATT Note 2!

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
It's blocky and jagged no matter the resolution. Plus ppi is already far above what the human eye can see so it's just a check off on a spec sheet to sell devices. I don't think most people will care or notice but the fact is it's not Samsung's best screen and it's disappointing they haven't put the best screen they make on their flagship device.

I think they were juggling allot at the last bit of time they had, from chip issues, to the whole flexible screen thing, it had to be released and outed soon and I think they did what they could with the time they had, they wanted a game changer and tried, but in the end it just a updated GS3.
I think it looks great, but i won't be leaving my note 2 for it...

Sent from my ATT Note 2!

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm just sitting here laughing at everyone posting the really close up pictures of text and pictures and icons.

Do you have damn magnifying glasses for eyes? I've held an S3 in person and i didn't see any pixels or grainy pictures at all, thats why i was so stoked to hear that the S4 had an even higher ppi. And no i'm no expert, but for those of you picking up the phone and getting less than an inch away to see those pixels so you can complain... again... i laugh.

That's going to be a damn crisp clear screen, and i will be happy to own it soon.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm just sitting here laughing at everyone posting the really close up pictures of text and pictures and icons.

Do you have damn magnifying glasses for eyes? I've held an S3 in person and i didn't see any pixels or grainy pictures at all, thats why i was so stoked to hear that the S4 had an even higher ppi. And no i'm no expert, but for those of you picking up the phone and getting less than an inch away to see those pixels so you can complain... again... i laugh.

That's going to be a damn crisp clear screen, and i will be happy to own it soon.

I was thinking the same exact thing. In order to see the difference on these phones when you're talking such high PPI, people will have to bend their eyelashes on their screen trying to see the pixels. I picture a crowd around someone doing this, and suddenly the person shouts: "AH HAH! I SEE A PIXEL!" and looks up at the crowd who thinks they are insane and disabled. But then they'll sprint to their computers so they can log a post on Android Central about how crappy the 1080 HD screen is. What spoiled people we are where we moan about screens that are absolutely fantastic all across the board.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
^Spend 5 minutes with a RGB LCD and you'll see what you've been missing.

PenTile absolutely SUCKS! Compare a HTC One X/EVO LTE to a GS3. They has the same resolution and screen size, yet the HTC One X/EVO LTE look amazingly better. Why? Because for clarity, LCD >>>>>>>>>>>>>PENTILE:
http://r.phonedog.com/shared/images/2012/7/173560-image_AMOLED_vs_LCD.jpg

PenTile and Snapdragon in the US, plus there is no telling if Samsung has fixed the Antenna issues that has been on all their phones (except the N2, apparently). All have me holding out.

I'll be buying a Note 2 now off contract for ~$500 and sit on my upgrade to see what winter brings (Moto X, Note 3, etc).

I also really wish they would have incorporated front facing speakers...

Haha I knew you'd show up ;) As soon as I saw the thread title I would have bet money it was yours. I was initially disappointed but eventually you restored my faith. :)

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking the same exact thing. In order to see the difference on these phones when you're talking such high PPI, people will have to bend their eyelashes on their screen trying to see the pixels. I picture a crowd around someone doing this, and suddenly the person shouts: "AH HAH! I SEE A PIXEL!" and looks up at the crowd who thinks they are insane and disabled. But then they'll sprint to their computers so they can log a post on Android Central about how crappy the 1080 HD screen is. What spoiled people we are where we moan about screens that are absolutely fantastic all across the board.

Aye aye yi! Your killing me.....funny ___ stuff.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate debates like this. You stated that you think AMOLED displays are inferior. This is clearly an opinion the way you stated this. I can respect that.

Looking at the dna, the screen was a beautiful, but not enough to sway me away from the note 2. I really love organic screens, I just think they look better.

You can get real technical and quote all sorts of measurements saying that SLCD 2/3 is superior to AMOLED in it's current state but at the end of the day people buy what they like. I also recognize that the majority of people could care less about technical specs of a display. While SLCD is technically superior in most measured specs, people still prefer the cool blue look of AMOLED.

Its kind of crazy how personal I take this. I am trying to stay away from any display thread so I don't say something that will get me kicked off as an adviser.

I say to myself , "God, grant me the serenity to accept the opinions I cannot change,
The courage to keep my foot out of my mouth, And wisdom to know when to move on to another thread."

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

You'll see in another thread (and now this one) that I recognize that AMOLED should be superior, but isn't in it's current state.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Haha I knew you'd show up ;) As soon as I saw the thread title I would have bet money it was yours. I was initially disappointed but eventually you restored my faith. :)
Is it really so bad I feel passionately about quality?

Samsung should be blasted by every person. There are zero people that could look at both phones and say the PenTile display looks clearer.

Pentile is clearly an inferior product.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site

Samsung should be blasted by every person. There are zero people that could look at both phones and say the PenTile display looks clearer.

nah, that's what the wink and the smile were for . . . I can think of worse things than to have a reputation for passion, but you have to admit you def sound like a one drum band sometimes . . No harm or dis was intended, just irony ;)

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

But the screen is more than good enough that most people won't care. And a lot of people will take the removable battery and SD slot of the S4 no matter what the specs are. Face it Samsung is the master at promoting and selling its product.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

jtc276

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Is it decided that the screen is, in fact, PenTile? Because I haven't read anything that actually confirms it. The unofficial review (which isn't a very reputable source) showed that a different pixel structure was used. Not exactly RGB, but not PenTile. There were also microscopic close ups of both the S3 and the S4 and the S4 looked much clearer. I'm not exactly sure of the differences between the S4 prototype and the official S4, but I doubt there is anything dramatic as a worse screen being added to the official version. Plus, I've never seen PenTile as a huge deal. My Atrix had a very nice screen for its time and the S3 still has one of the greatest on the market even if it inferior to LCD2 and now (since it's a generation ahead) LCD3. I'm definitely going to need some more confirmation and maybe some comparisons with other phones before I truly accept that the use of PenTile on a device with such a high PPI is even worth caring about.

EDIT:
Here's the unofficial review. I didn't even think of posting it here:
Display comparison between the Galaxy S IV, Galaxy S III & XPERIA Z | SamMobile

anon367353

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Seriously, who told you it's PenTile?

XGPDe6s.png

The display matrix in GS4 is totally new, and never used in past. The display type (AMOLED) is also totally new. It's a new Green PHOLED emitter used, and they have achieved the highest display NITs in any AMOLED so far.

jtc276

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Seriously, who told you it's PenTile?

http://i.imgur.com/XGPDe6s.png

The display matrix in GS4 is totally new, and never used in past. The display type (AMOLED) is also totally new. It's a new Green PHOLED emitter used, and they have achieved the highest display NITs in any AMOLED so far.

Thank you! Honestly, the S4 seems to be more and more appealing with each new bit of information. The Snapdragon processor is fine for me (I'm very glad it's not the S4 pro) and now the screen is definitely going to look amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.