S6 keyboard issue

spitoon

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
Over the past few days my S6 has developed an interesting and frustrating issue.

I'm not sure if it's a keyboard issue or an auto correct issue and it seems to be most prevalent in the email app. It seems to work fine on texts or in this forum for example.

Summary of issues is as follows:
- Auto punctuation no longer works. Two spaces after a word doesn't insert a period anymore.
- Auto capitalization doesn't work anymore. This might be connected to the punctuation but it also doesn't capitalize "i" in the middle of a sentence.
- typing anything other than a letter or number results in the next character being duplicated. For example trying out enter a dollar amount like $1000.00 is nearly impossible. If you just type those characters you end up with $$000..0 The 1 turns into a $ and the 0 after the decimal becomes another decimal. Same thing happens with other special characters. Typing (a word here) becomes (( word here) or trying to use a slash is messed up too. Typing /23 would change to //3

There are other weird things with the auto correct too but this covers the bulk of the issues.

I have tried restarting. I have tried turning off auto correct and auto punctuation and restarting. I tried clearing the auto correct dictionary and the personal dictionary.

I have not done a complete reset yet...

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I really don't want to move to a different email app or keyboard if I don't have to. It worked fine for months up to this week.

Thanks,

Ed McGroarty

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Over the past few days my S6 has developed an interesting and frustrating issue.

I'm not sure if it's a keyboard issue or an auto correct issue and it seems to be most prevalent in the email app. It seems to work fine on texts or in this forum for example.

Summary of issues is as follows:
- Auto punctuation no longer works. Two spaces after a word doesn't insert a period anymore.
- Auto capitalization doesn't work anymore. This might be connected to the punctuation but it also doesn't capitalize "i" in the middle of a sentence.
- typing anything other than a letter or number results in the next character being duplicated. For example trying out enter a dollar amount like $1000.00 is nearly impossible. If you just type those characters you end up with $$000..0 The 1 turns into a $ and the 0 after the decimal becomes another decimal. Same thing happens with other special characters. Typing (a word here) becomes (( word here) or trying to use a slash is messed up too. Typing /23 would change to //3

There are other weird things with the auto correct too but this covers the bulk of the issues.

I have tried restarting. I have tried turning off auto correct and auto punctuation and restarting. I tried clearing the auto correct dictionary and the personal dictionary.

I have not done a complete reset yet...

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I really don't want to move to a different email app or keyboard if I don't have to. It worked fine for months up to this week.

Thanks,

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi! My mom would sometimes experience something similar on her S4. I'm assuming you're using the Samsung version of the keyboard, or the Google keyboard? I was going to suggest rooting through your keyboard settings, but it seems like you've already done this! Hmm... If you do not wish to download another keyboard app, I would suggest trying a factory reset (as long as your apps, photos, contacts, etc are all backed up).

spitoon

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
Just a quick update here.
I continued to fiddle with things for the last couple weeks looking for a solution, and I was able to make it 'better'...the only thing I can see that I did was to disable the "Last Pass" keyboard. Last Pass is a password manager that I installed about 6-8 weeks ago. The odd thing is that my keyboard problems didn't start when I installed that, but sometime after.

Anyways, that seemed to clear up all the problems except auto-punctuation...that still doesn't work. This weekend I performed a back up, factory reset, and restore and it has not fixed the problem.

Still searching....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky