Safe to buy from SWAPPA?

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I have had both good and bad. The good, typically the phone matches the price and description and no problems. I did order an HTC One M9 and was sent an M8 instead. Though the do check the IMEI number you should still check it through What ever carrier the phone is set too. On two occasional the phones I bought still had payments on them and the carrier will make it so the phone does not work. You are best to go to the website carrier and go through the trade in process to see if any payments are left on the phone. I asked for the INEI number after a sale and found that there were still payments on the phone.

Were you able to get your money back on the two phones that still had payments remaining?

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I've only ever bought one phone on swappa. The experience was great from a buyer protection standpoint - the seller listed the wrong model number for the phone, so I got a phone not compatible with all US bands. The seller wasn't happy to have to refund me and take the phone back, but I wasn't stuck with a phone I couldn't use.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I bought an Alcatel Idol 4S windows phone off Swappa for my wife, because she wasn't ready to leave windows mobile yet lol. It had nothing but problems, she used it for about a year if I remember right and said "I'm ready to try Android" lol. I wasn't too upset because it was only $100... and it helped move my wife on from windows mobile, so it was actually worth it. But the phone itself was a bust. So because of that experience combined with a couple bad ones each from Amazon and eBay I now only buy new from reputable businesses, and I pick up great phones on clearance/closeouts/sales etc for incredible prices. And the phones come looking and working just like they're supposed to... with a real warranty even! Lol

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
I’ve sold and bought more than 50 devices on swappa since 2013 and never had a single issue with anyone. The trick is to buy from people with good reviews and try to only sell to ones that aren’t new. I’ve sold to a few new people that were a pain and didn’t read the directions on swappa and I had to hold their hand every damn step. Very irritating then they expect me to unlock the device when I said it wasn’t unlocked. That’s the only issues I’ve had.

Just be smart and you’ll be fine. Swappa can only help you in a dispute but not get your funds back. PayPal does that.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I’ve sold and bought more than 50 devices on swappa since 2013 and never had a single issue with anyone. The trick is to buy from people with good reviews and try to only sell to ones that aren’t new. I’ve sold to a few new people that were a pain and didn’t read the directions on swappa and I had to hold their hand every damn step. Very irritating then they expect me to unlock the device when I said it wasn’t unlocked. That’s the only issues I’ve had.

Just be smart and you’ll be fine. Swappa can only help you in a dispute but not get your funds back. PayPal does that.
I thought swappa doesn't release the funds until you mark everything good?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Man I wish they did that. That would make them that much better. Nope the PayPal itself is the exchanger directly. Their software just helps initiate it.
Ahhh , dang that's what I thought :(

Edit: I was under the impression after you received the device you go back to the sell page and mark completed and then seller got paid and swappa was the middle man to release the payment , it's been awhile since I used swappa probably like 2 years ago , but never had a issue .

Last edited:

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Ahhh , dang that's what I thought :(

Edit: I was under the impression after you received the device you go back to the sell page and mark completed and then seller got paid and swappa was the middle man to release the payment , it's been awhile since I used swappa probably like 2 years ago , but never had a issue .
You get paid immediately after sale.. Ship and provide tracking number on seller page.. They will wait to close out Swappa sale till buyer confirms all is good.. I've sold plenty and only once there was an issue which I refunded the cash after USPS reimbursed the lost phone

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You get paid immediately after sale.. Ship and provide tracking number on seller page.. They will wait to close out Swappa sale till buyer confirms all is good.. I've sold plenty and only once there was an issue which I refunded the cash after USPS reimbursed the lost phone
Thanks !

purwater

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I've bought several phones on swappa and all were in great condition as advertised. I've sold probably 6 or 7 and all went smooth except 1. I sold an iPhone 6S plus in mint condition. Took pics and a video of it before I shipped. Guy received and then filed a claim through paypal that the phone received was in poor condition and damaged. Paypal asked if I was willing to do a refund. I said sure just return the phone and I'd refund. The guy shipped me a bunch of old newspapers in a padded envelope pretending it was my phone. I opened the package and saw it was junk and threw it in the trash. I then saw later my phone had been delivered back to me and figured out it was the junk mail. Paypal ended up refunding his money and he got to keep my mint condition iPhone. I filed a complaint through the USPS and they investigated him for fraud. Nothing ever came of it so I was out about $1200. I've sold phones since, but I research the buyers as much as I do a seller now.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I've bought several phones on swappa and all were in great condition as advertised. I've sold probably 6 or 7 and all went smooth except 1. I sold an iPhone 6S plus in mint condition. Took pics and a video of it before I shipped. Guy received and then filed a claim through paypal that the phone received was in poor condition and damaged. Paypal asked if I was willing to do a refund. I said sure just return the phone and I'd refund. The guy shipped me a bunch of old newspapers in a padded envelope pretending it was my phone. I opened the package and saw it was junk and threw it in the trash. I then saw later my phone had been delivered back to me and figured out it was the junk mail. Paypal ended up refunding his money and he got to keep my mint condition iPhone. I filed a complaint through the USPS and they investigated him for fraud. Nothing ever came of it so I was out about $1200. I've sold phones since, but I research the buyers as much as I do a seller now.

That's mail fraud, but you might also follow up with the FBI or his local authorities. If this guy has a scam like this going, You're not the only one he's done it too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hustler23