Samsung Email App doesn't catch all my Gmail Contacts

Andrew Ray

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
Hi there,

I'd love to stick to Samsung email app, but for some reason it seems it doesn't catch some of my Gmail contacts.
Basically, when I create a new email and I start typing in the recipient field, other apps (like EMAIL or Inbox) can catch all my contacts, but in the Samsung app some of them don't show up.

Any clue?

I edited my question, as in my first sentence I typed it doesn't catch all my Gmail contacts, whereas in the last one I typed some of them. I realized this is confusing. It actually doesn't catch some of them, probably (I need to verify this) those contacts who are not saved as contacts, nonetheless are available in the history as I exchanged emails with them.

As for the permission, yes, it does have permission to access.

Last edited:

dunamis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Just curious what Samsung email app can offer over Gmail that you want use? Asking cause I might want to use over native Gmail.

Andrew Ray

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
Just curious what Samsung email app can offer over Gmail that you want use? Asking cause I might want to use over native Gmail.

I was trying to use the stock Note 8 email app over another client because the experience feels more in the same world of all the other Note 8 apps, which I really like them all by the way. The UI of Samsung email app is clean, minimal, very well integrated. For instance, switching to Samsung Focus feels flawless, same family. For the first time with an Android, I feel that with the Note 8 they really nailed. All the stock apps are simply great. And for the first time I don't even need to use Nova Launcher (which I bought a while back). Touch wiz just works too well. So, it was just a matter of keeping everything in the same family. But for the email I think I'll have to make an exception. Well, is not the end of the world :)

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Curious if you type the email address as the address does it start to autopopulate? Eg. If someone is names Bob Smith but his email address is bsmith@gmail.com would he autopopulate if you start typing "bsmi..." Vs "bob"?

I understand why you would want to use the stock email so I hope you figure it out. I'm still on G7 but I used to use Google Inbox for work but recently went back to Samsung stock and the look and feel is so much more simple. The reason I did it though is I DIDNT want push. Rather I have it pull for email every hour which makes me feel like email is on my terms. (Stupid I know).

Also a bonus is that everything Samsung just meshes together especially if on my Gear S3 watch.

Andrew Ray

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
Yup, no matter how I type the contact, the app doesn't auto populate. So, either Bob or bsmi don't work. It will work only if I add Bob Smith to the contacts. The thing is, as far as I know, I don't necessarily need to have Bob Smith in the contacts as long as I already have exchanged an email with Bob Smith. In fact, EMAIL and Inbox can auto populate Bob Smith even if it is not in my contacts.

Last edited:

Andrew Ray

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
Here's an update: it seems the same issue happens with old emails, either in my inbox or sent. Basically, old emails don't show up when I do a search. They do show up though in EMAIL. I think there's definitely an issue with the Samsung email app. Anyway, just thought to update the thread for future ref. in case anybody else will experience the same issue.

Andrew Ray

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
Alright, at least I figured out the issue with the old emails.
Basically, under the account settings, I needed to change the option for Period to sync Email, which was 2 weeks. I changed it to all time. It takes a while to sync all the emails, but at least now I can find old emails.
I hoped this would also fix the issue with the contacts, as one of the contact that doesn't auto-populate when I create a new email was from an old email, unfortunately that's not the case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djboulette