Samsung Galaxy S3 charging problem

davidlooi

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
S3 charging problem

Everything you mention above i had tried all it won't help. Still keep draining even though is charging but percentage didn't go up.
Odd case is i had tried to used my friend same model phone battery to put in my phone where i had battery drained issue with same charger within 1 minute it up 2%l!! Funny huh???! Even i buy a new battery put into my phone it stated charging but keep to draining!!!!!. Conclusion is i had change battery, downgrade firmware 4.3 to 4.1, change charger and wipe out everything still won't get better!!!! :mad:_@:
Any solution please feel free to assist me.God bless

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
Odd case is i had tried to used my friend same model phone battery to put in my phone where i had battery drained issue with same charger within 1 minute it up 2%
If I understand you correctly, you borrowed a battery from a friend and that battery began to charge normally, so you bought a new battery but that has the same problem?

What happens with your batteries in your friends' phone?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
The PC well at least mine is only putting out 466mA. Where as the charger that came with my phone is putting out 900mA.
That's perfectly normal - the USB 2.0 spec is rated at 500mA (IIRC USB 3.0 is rated at 900mA). And of course the wall charger can deliver a lot more current.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

JDM52

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I think I am beginning to understand what's going on -- at least for some of us.

My problems began with the 4.3 update -- so I have been pretty sure that it's related to software somehow.

The mini USB port is actual a multi-function port in the S3. For instance, you can get a mini-usb to hdmi adapter, something I have never tried.

For that kind of multi-functional magic to work, the phone needs to know what it's plugged into. The various adapters, adopters and (I suspect) cables do this by introducing resistors of different values across different parts of the circuit. There are a LOT of possibilities -- see the great thread on the XDA Developers site. It is a little old, but it give you an idea about what's going on.

Fun with resistors (home/car dock mode + more) - xda-developers

These resistor values trigger logic in something called the USB Controller Chip on the phone.

Note these lines:

RID_CEA936A_TY_1, /* 1 0 1 1 1 200K CEA936A Type-1 Charger(1) */
RID_USB_MODE, /* 1 1 1 1 1 Open USB Mode, Dedicated Charger or Accessory Detach */

Clearly they are using the resistance value to distinguish between various types of chargers as well as other things. this resistance can be set up in the device, including chargers, or in the cable.

In my case, we have 2 identical S3. Both were updated by the OTA update to 4.3. One works flawlessly with all cables, switching back and forth as needed, and one works only on Samsung brand cables and never on car chargers of any brand (including Samsung).

I think that there is a bug in this USB switching software that is causing some devices to fail to switch between these various modes. Or maybe, there is a hardware problem detecting the resistance the results of which only show up after the update.

What do you think?

readk

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Great post. Went to website: recommended app "stopped" each time I tried to use it.
But more importantly, I also have a "loose" USB micro port and the image on your website (Galaxy S3 Charging Problem and Solution) does not load even with a refresh. You mentioned pliers. Can you try and show it some other way, email it to me, or describe what you did with the pliers.

Hueman

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey all not exactly sure if I did this right or not but I got a S3 that all of a sudden wont charge when I plug it in it keeps flashing between Charging and Connect your charger, the charger is newish so it shouldn't be the charger would it be the battery?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forums!
Hey all not exactly sure if I did this right or not but I got a S3 that all of a sudden wont charge when I plug it in it keeps flashing between Charging and Connect your charger, the charger is newish so it shouldn't be the charger would it be the battery?
Is this a new or used S3? If the latter, do you know if it's the original battery? You could use something like Phone INFO http://market.android.com/details?id=org.vndnguyen.phoneinfo to check the number of charge cycles on the phone.

Have you tried a different charger/cable?

It sounds to me like it's the micro-USB port but that shouldn't be giving you problems on a new phone.

francelle

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I am on my third galaxy 3 and the problem has always been with unable to charge. It is the port and not getting contact with the charger. Sprint has always just given me a new phone.

jujustar

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
This is only a tip for anyone having problems charging their samsung galaxy S3, the charger I had with the phone is a bag of nails!
But I use my kindle cable with apple plug to charge my phone and it never fails!
Charges fast! Within a couple of hours. A kindle cable has the same connection into the phone socket and you just need a plug that has a USB socket to hook it up. Just in case never charge phone untended....just in case 😉

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire