samsung galaxy s3 sgh-t999 suspected soft brick

Lee Fleming

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
hi i have a samsung galaxy s3 sgh-t999 my friend had the phone he gave it to me what happened was he tried to root the s3 and it failed, he then got a message on his samsung galaxy s3 when he tried to switch it on saying S3 error 'Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again. I used odin to install something which fixed that error but now when i power on the s3 it flashes samsung then disappears and thats all. It wont boot up the phone atal i can still get into download mode and recovery mode. i've tried to restore using odin it gets to firmware upgrade then said aboot then fail i need help asap if anyone could help it would be appreciated thanks

hi guys my problem is my mate had a samsung galaxy s3 he tried to root it then he basically broke it. when he tried to root it get got a fail in odin he then got a message saying S3 error 'Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again. i used odin and fixed this but now when i switch on the s3 it goes to the samsung logo then flashes off. i can still get in download mode and recovery mode.
other info:
in download mode it says -
odin mode
Product name: SGH-I747 (but the phone is an sgh-t999)
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: Yes (14 counts)
CURRENT BINARY: custom
SYSTEM STATUS: official
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE

if someone could please help me it would be much appreciated thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't know much about rooting, only did it a few times on some of my tablets. How do you know it's a T999. Does the sticker on the phone, behind the battery say it's a T999? Maybe your friend or you used a i747 (ATT) firmware to flash your phone, which should not work if your phone is a T999 (T-Mobile).

unimatrix725

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Looks like one of you flashed WRONG IMAGE in Odin. Look for a pre rooted SGH-T999 file. You flashed the ATT version, which explains a little. It is bootlooping, probably a signature or kernel error. Google SGH-T999 PreRooted Stock Restore XDA Dev. This will get you where you need to be. Should take you about half an hour to download & reimage the phone. That may even fix the flash counter, if it's still high after successful restore use triangle away.