Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge - 24 hours and already scratched

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Any kind of glass can scratch which doesn't bother me since the device only last a few years before I purchase a new one.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I've had my phone a couple days now and have tons of scratches already. The only thing I've done is gently wipe it with a micro fiber cloth a few times per day because it attracts fingerprints badly. I guess my micro fiber cloth wasn't as clean as it appeared. Will putting a screen protector on help hide some of these scratches? Some are even kind of deepish. Can kind of be seen with the screen on. I've never really scratched a phone this bad, this quick before and I get quite a few phones.

FeinP1118

May 20, 2010
Visit site
The issue is the glass of the new SS are easier to scratch than the previous generation.
What's the point of having a beautiful phone when it's stuck inside an ugly otterbox?

Actually the new Symmetry OtterBox is quite unOtterBoxy. I just bought it for my S7e and it's not at all bulky.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I've had my phone a couple days now and have tons of scratches already. The only thing I've done is gently wipe it with a micro fiber cloth a few times per day because it attracts fingerprints badly. I guess my micro fiber cloth wasn't as clean as it appeared. Will putting a screen protector on help hide some of these scratches? Some are even kind of deepish. Can kind of be seen with the screen on. I've never really scratched a phone this bad, this quick before and I get quite a few phones.
Yes, screen protector will hide minor scratches from view. I put one on 3 days ago. Works great. Zero bubbles. Watch the installation video and take your time applying the protector. I also have brand skin on the back of the phone. Keeps the back scratch free as I don't use any cases.

Armorsuit MilitaryShield Anti-Bubble Ultra HD Screen Protector for Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge - Clear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ACXSKA...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5627074

1483203492512.jpg

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Really shocked here. Was waiting for a tempered glass protector before I put anything on. Thought it could AT LEAST get me by a few weeks without any scratches.

My phone is fine but my wife's S7 Edge has a deep scratch in the center of the phone. She has been very careful and did not drop it at all. Only place it went was her pocket. I though Gorilla Glass 4 should have been AT LEAST able to handle some pocket handling? :mad:

I've had mine since launch. Never a screen protector, but in a case. Not a single scratch, mark, nothing.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine since launch. Never a screen protector, but in a case. Not a single scratch, mark, nothing.

Do you ever wipe it down or anything when it gets smudges or fingerprints? And what do younger? I'm assuming it should only we wiped down gently with very clean cloths.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
There is always a risk of damage to your phone no matter what the manufacturer says. When I got my S7 edge a few months ago I encased it in an Otterbox defender case. While it may not be satisfactory for everyone or ideal every situation, it protects my phone and serves me well.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
My co-worker... Got his S7 Edge after his Note 7 screen cracked right before the recall so got the S7 Edge after the recall...
I was checking his phone just this past Friday and he doesn't have a screen protector and I can see micro scratches.
Normal use and he takes decent care of his electronics. So not even a few months and has scratches. Doesn't bother him but would bother me.

I prefer tempered glass after using one on my iPhone 6 and would prefer on an S7E but haven't read any good ones but I'd definitely put a protector on... from what I read, IQ Shield and Skinomi seem very good even though usually not a fan of wet installs. Skinomi includes a back glass sheet which sounds nice... would be such a shame not to be able to show off the back covered with a skin.

Neraksutruc

Mar 11, 2017
Visit site
My 2 week Samsung edge has also got a scratch down the middle!! I actually have it in a soft makeup back in my handbag so to keep it safe and have been very careful with it!! Not happy my last Samsung 4s was still good after 4 years and had hardly any scratches on....anyone know any tips to make it less noticeable????

COAndroidFan

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
My wife got her S7 just over a week ago and she takes very good care of it. I've attached close up shots of the scratches on her screen. I think this is unacceptable and way to easy to scratch. I have a Pixel that's supposed to have the same Gorilla Glass 4 and it's way more impervious.

Attachments

• IMG_20170411_074313-01.jpg
    IMG_20170411_074313-01.jpg
    780.3 KB · Views: 23

mikefiatx19

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
I have an S1, a Note 1, an S3, an S4 an S5 and now an S7.
The S7 is 3 weeks old and looks worse than all of my other phones already and my S1 is more than 6 years old. It's a Piece Of S**t. Samsung just lost a customer.
I will not own another phone from them when this thing cost so much money and is lower quality than the others. I am really annoyed by this. If they sell a sub-standard product they should offer a protector as standard.

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
We have S3, S5, S7E and a Note 3 from Samsung (had a note 7 for a little while, too). I've found my S7E to be at least as high quality as the rest of them, and all of them have stood the test of time very well. I have a clear back/side protector, but no screen protector. Not a single scratch of any kind anywhere in the 7 months I've been using it.

Sorry to hear yours scratched. Nothing is bullet proof, though.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Here are all three of my S7 Edge phones. The one on the right is my pre-release ordered phone so I've had it since the end of February 2016. Not a scratch on any of them and I've not had a screen protector on any of them.

20170425_134939.jpg

officeraamo

Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
Same here....Replaced a LGG4 with A S7 and it was scratched up by second day. Super annoying to spend that much on a phone and it looks like junk....not impressed. I'm careful with my phone. Had the G4 for over 2yrs and didn't have a scratch on it. I didn't have a screen protector on it either. Now I have to purchase a tank of a phone case to protect the screen. Weak screens is the main reason I stay away from Apple....Really pissed about this....

officeraamo

Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
Retired mod or not ....the problem is obvious....this issue is all over the internet.... slapping up pics of your phones w/o scratches doesn't change the fact that people that have never had scratch problems now are....they aren't suddenly using their phones differently. Samsung even admits...if you look hard enough you'll find that they changed the formula of their glass to increase it's durability to breakage. This is done by "softening" the glass. Softer glass will absorb more impact without breakage. The trade off is more scratches. They tried fixed something that wasn't a problem. Screen durability esp to breakage has never been a issue....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kazank