Screen burn-in after a year.

Whateverchan

Dec 2, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I bought a 10+ last Thanksgiving, and two weeks ago I realized that it already has somewhat bad burn-in.

20201119-203056.jpg

It's harder to see from this picture (took with a note 3), but when I look at the phone on a white background, it's very noticeable. Really disappointed and angry because I was hoping these new phones wouldn't have this problem. My old note 3 had really bad burn-ins, too, about 1-2 years after I got it. Is there no other way to fix this besides either replacing the screen or just live with it? I have no warranty so Samsung probably won't do anything to help.

Really just can't trust people who say burn-in is rare or doesn't happen. BS. Is this mainly an issue with amoled/oled screens?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Really just can't trust people who say burn-in is rare or doesn't happen. BS. Is this mainly an issue with amoled/oled screens?

Yes it's primarily an issue with AMOLED/OLED screens, one of the downsides to the screen technology.

Whether you trust me or not is irrelevant to me but I've inspected hundreds of phones for warranty and/or trade in and I've only seen burn in on a handful of phones, it's extremely rare from my experience employed at Verizon for 4 years but it definitely is something that happens. Almost all of our demos developed screen burn in due to being on all day every day.

It's caused by excessive screen on time and screen brightness, especially with static images. Navigation bars, keyboards, and certain apps like GPS are the things that typically burn in. I'd also assume like all things in manufacturing not all screens are created equal, despite being the same exact model screen off the same assembly line some will unfortunately fail/develop burn in sooner than others.

Unfortunately there is no fix for it, you live with it or replace the screen if the phone survived past the warranty period.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Burn-in is rare if proper precautions are taken for the display. What's your screen timeout set to? Probably the most common cause of burn-in is setting the timeout to a longer interval (like a minute or more) and habitually letting the screen stay on for that period of time on the homescreen (or some other static screen). This is why the default timeout is usually set to around 15 or 30 seconds.

Another cause is frequent usage of an app/game that has prominent screen features that don't change much.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogerinsg99