Screen repaired

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, it finally happened. I broke my first smartphone screen ever. Was wearing scrubs as a Halloween costume and the pants were slightly loose so I was Austin the drawstring and the phone fell out of my pocket onto the tile floor. Never took photos of it but stayed on the right side near the center of the screen and spiderwebbed out. Had a small dark spot near the impact area and a few horizontal lines in the display. Screen still worked fine, but over the last week or so, I started being able to feel the cracks note so I took it in for replacement as I didn't want to get to the point it starts cutting my fingers.

Ended up having Ubreakifix perform the repairs. That was a bit of an ordeal due to a couple stores having some terrible employees. I had actually called last week to get a price and they quoted me and said they would be getting screens in the next day and would reserve one for me. I called a few times since as I had to confirm when I could bring it in and my own availability changed a couple of times due to work. I finally took it in yesterday and apparently the store never got the screen replacements but thought they had it as someone mistook the rear glass parts as the screen. The front glad in black is apparently on national backorder. They called another store that told them they had it but when I called them, they said they only had screens for the S20U. I ended up calling around and the furthest store that allowed up on Google maps ended up having one. Dropped it off and was told it would be ready in 2-3 hours. The emailed me around 2 hours later. Unfortunately I had some work to do so I didn't go pick it up until about 6:30 but they were closed at 5 even though Google maps and their website said they were open until 7. I picked it up today and it looks great. The guy told me the screen replacement basically gives me a new frame, new screen, and a new battery. It was 296 for parts and labor. Not great, but not terrible.

My takeaways are these:
1. Make sure they double check the party inventory and make sure it's the correct one.
2. Like a lot of businesses these days, confirm their hours of operation. Ubreakifix is a franchise so hours can vary from store to store.
3. For me, paying out of pocket is still cheaper in the long run over getting insurance.
4. Ubreakifix is an official repair center for Samsung so it's a great option for quick turnaround if they have the parts available.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Sorry to hear of the damage to your phone :(

I have my phone covered under my Home Contents insurance.

We have Samsung Experience Stores and Samsung Service Centres in the UK which I'd only use as I would want an original Samsung replacement screen and keep the Samsung Warranty intact.

In my opinion prevention is better than cure so to try and stop damage I have a Samsung Leather Back Case on my phone coupled with a Whitestone Dome Glass Screen Protector.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm truly sorry that you had to have your screen replaced & then had a less than smooth experience with the repair process.

I thought it was interesting the screen replacement also included a new battery, along with a new frame.

I appreciate that you took the time to post your story, along with your takeaways. uBreakiFix is my local option for repairs so the info you provided is very helpful.

Glad you have your phone back. :)

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Glad you got your phone fixed. Just a warning though. I had a screen replaced on my Note8 and the phone was no longer water resistant, so you may want to be more careful that way.

Don't agree with your math, however. My Verizon "Wireless Phone Protection" costs me $6.85 a month, so $165 over the 2 years I'll likely own my N20U. Deductible for glass replacement is $29. So it would take me about 5 glass replacements to equal where you're at on your replacement cost. Since I've only cracked one screen in the last 3 years, I don't think I'll get there. Makes me glad I took the insurance.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ireless-phone-protection-faqs/&token=NmJJya37

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Be careful around water/rain. When they replace the screen the seal is broken and is no longer water-resistant... a co-worker found that out the hard way.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
In the States Ubreakifix is an Samsung Care partner for repairs and warranty work for their phones. Been so since around the time Note 8 released. All parts are Samsung parts.

I think I remember hearing Note 8 screen replacement also included new battery (not sure if fame was included). Maybe that's the standard kit for screen or battery replacement to make it easier on the service centers.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/03/14/samsung-partners-ubreakifix-easy-walk-galaxy-repairs/

We have Samsung Experience Stores and Samsung Service Centres in the UK which I'd only use as I would want an original Samsung replacement screen and keep the Samsung Warranty intact.

In my opinion prevention is better than cure so to try and stop damage I have a Samsung Leather Back Case on my phone coupled with a Whitestone Dome Glass Screen Protector.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Glad you got your phone fixed. Just a warning though. I had a screen replaced on my Note8 and the phone was no longer water resistant, so you may want to be more careful that way.

Don't agree with your math, however. My Verizon "Wireless Phone Protection" costs me $6.85 a month, so $165 over the 2 years I'll likely own my N20U. Deductible for glass replacement is $29. So it would take me about 5 glass replacements to equal where you're at on your replacement cost. Since I've only cracked one screen in the last 3 years, I don't think I'll get there. Makes me glad I took the insurance.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ireless-phone-protection-faqs/&token=jnchFI-O
Ubteakfix runs tests after replacement to ensure it's still water resistant. Unfortunately water resistance in no guarantee against water damage.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ireless-phone-protection-faqs/&token=eUn4mBER

This is the first smartphone screen I've cracked ever. That dates back to about 10 years. That would have been 10 years of insurance compared to the cost of replacement. I'm pretty good about taking care of my phones. I used to use no case for most of that time and only use a case now to help prevent accidental touches with the curved displays. If I were more careless, I'd pay for the insurance. My girlfriend has insurance on her iphone 11 pro max. But she's also lost phones. And that risk makes the insurance a better choice as the cost of an entire phone is much greater. We've used it to replace her screen already.

I'm also aware of situations where the water reassurance was compromised. I could tell they ran the self diagnostics on mine as it was still active when I picked up the phone. I had to restart it just to get the notification to go away. My understanding is that there is a self check for the waterproofing in these phones but it's been a while since I read about it. Someone else will have to confirm. There is a 90 day warranty so perhaps I should dip it in water before ubreakifix's warranty is up. Lol

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site

Home insurance had a pretty high deductible so it's likely going to be of no use in most cases for me.

I had that exact same case on when I dropped it. I usually keep a more robust car on, but I was out and the leather case is a bit more appealing to look at. But it offers very little protection. Though I don't think any of my cases would have helped. Landed on the transition from tile to linoleum and the edge is raised. It is what it is.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Home insurance had a pretty high deductible so it's likely going to be of no use in most cases for me.

I had that exact same case on when I dropped it. I usually keep a more robust car on, but I was out and the leather case is a bit more appealing to look at. But it offers very little protection. Though I don't think any of my cases would have helped. Landed on the transition from tile to linoleum and the edge is raised. It is what it is.

I would have to pay a £100 excess fee which is cheaper than a new screen and usually home insurance companies just replace the whole phone for a new one.

Mobile Insurance companies tend to replace the screen or supply a refurbished phone.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
in Indonesia users can add another "Warranty" which covers all kinds of damage(broken,thef,lost) for 20% of the price.so lets say the phone is $1000 then the added warranty is $200 thus a total of $1200.Its actually quite nice as they give us a new phone(not repair).

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
This is the first smartphone screen I've cracked ever. That dates back to about 10 years. That would have been 10 years of insurance compared to the cost of replacement. I'm pretty good about taking care of my phones. I used to use no case for most of that time and only use a case now to help prevent accidental touches with the curved displays. If I were more careless, I'd pay for the insurance.
I think saying you need to be careless to need the insurance is overly harsh. Stuff happens. But I hear you. That's the nature of insurance, though. You pay and pay for something you hope never to use. Quite a racket. I've gone w/o insurance in the past, used aftermarket vendors, etc. But went with my carrier this time as it seems a good value for $7 a month.

I'm also aware of situations where the water reassurance was compromised. I could tell they ran the self diagnostics on mine as it was still active when I picked up the phone. I had to restart it just to get the notification to go away. My understanding is that there is a self check for the waterproofing in these phones but it's been a while since I read about it. Someone else will have to confirm. There is a 90 day warranty so perhaps I should dip it in water before ubreakifix's warranty is up. Lol
That's actually not a bad idea. I wish I'd done that.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ireless-phone-protection-faqs/&token=yOmKzecp

Wow my Verizon insurance is $15/ month. Are there levels of protection? I wasn't aware

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I think saying you need to be careless to need the insurance is overly harsh. Stuff happens. But I hear you. That's the nature of insurance, though. You pay and pay for something you hope never to use. Quite a racket. I've gone w/o insurance in the past, used aftermarket vendors, etc. But went with my carrier this time as it seems a good value for $7 a month.

My statement was not a judgement. Only my take on it. I didn't say careless people should buy insurance. Only that if I were more careless. Its my personal choice. And it's paid off. Even if insurance was only $7 per month, I would have paid about $840 over 10 years. I paid $316 out the door. So I've saved money. My gf on the other hand has lost a phone and broke her screen in the last three years. She drops her phone often and often has me calling her phone to locate it. My assessment is that she is at a great enough risk to warrant the insurance. I do not pose as great a risk. Think of it like the way an auto insurance company looks at a driving record.

Last edited:

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
My daughter had her s20 ultra back glass replace UbreakIfix for 29.00 bucks because of the insurance. Without it it was 279.00 and change. I have to have the insurance just in case it happens again on another phone. Plus it covers any other issues that can't be repaired and most of those hardly cost anything.

For me it's better to keep insurance. I have 5 phones to protect. 😱

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Wow my Verizon insurance is $15/ month. Are there levels of protection? I wasn't aware

Yes, there are several levels of protection offered on Verizon. I was surprised that the cheapest level of protection covered so much and cost so little. Covers loss, theft and damage, including water damage. Unlimited screen repairs. Cheaper than Squaretrade and better coverage.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I took a phone to unbreak i fix..
They had ordered a screen.
Took the old screen off.
Put glue on everything and put the new screen on.

I stuck the phone in a 5 gallon bucket of water when I drove 7 miles home.
Left it.
It didn't leak.
If it had of
I guess I would of had to buy a new 1300.00 note 20 ultra 5G phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali