Screen turns off during phone call

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
My husband has a galaxy s4, and if he makes a phone call and holds the phone next to his ear, the screen turns off. And it doesn't turn on again until he pushes the home button, then the phone application, then "return to call".

He does this every time he wants to hang up at the end of a call, or enter numbers into a menu, or check whether he still has a connection, or...

Surely there is an easier way to make the screen turn on again? Can anyone help?

(My Moto X screen turns on by itself when I take the phone away from my ear. Is there a setting on the galaxy to make it work that way?)

Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The proximity sensor, the thing that determines that his face is near the phone is defective - or something in front of it, like a case or a screen protector, is preventing it from working properly. When he removes the screen from his face, the screen should come back after about half a second.

If it's not something in front of the sensor (it'll be near the earphone he's listening to during the call), and it's important enough to him, he can bring it to a repair shop and have the sensor replaced.

Both, a sensor going bad, and something blocking the sensor, are common (not that most sensors go bad, but at least 1 or 2% of problems with Android phones involve the screen not coming back after a call.)