SGS4: A few questions on the interface (coming from IOS)

amu01

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I just transitioned from an iPhone and have some questions:

1. I want to add a certain number to the favorites, where I just need to call it in one click. If the contact has multiple numbers (mobile, work), I get a menu showing all the numbers. Is it possible to add a Person+Phone number to the favorites, where I don't need to keep going through an extra step of selecting the number?

1. I cannot seem to add a person's mobile and the same person's work phone as 2 different favorite items.

2. For a particular contact, even if there is only one phone number, clicking on the favorites goes to the contact page. I wish it would directly dial, instead of asking me to select a number.

3. "Direct dial" widget is good, but there is no way I could setup the same name, with 2 different numbers. ie, Smith Work and Smith Home cannot be done.

4. Can S-Voice send message through other apps. Right now, when I ask it to send a message, it uses the phone's default texting app (going through the carrier). I want it to use whatsapp.

5. I have multiple names with last name "Smith", but S-Voice populates only a few of these when I say "Call Smith". It cannot get the first name of this person.

6. Is there a way to train S-Voice. I say a word and write the corresponding text and it could correlate?

7. Is there a dialer with integrated visual voicemail (like iphone)?

8. LG G2 has an icon at the bottom (next to the dialer), which will pull down the notification screen. Is there such a thing on SGS4?

9. I tried using the Kies software, but the auto-sync does nothing. I couldn't find the files anywhere. Only the folders were created (Photos, Videos, Podcasts etc). Any idea, if it does wi-fi sync without any more steps?
Thanks.

Last edited:

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure with most of those, but for 2 if, instead of tapping on the contact, if you swipe right it will automatically call them and if you swipe left it will take you to your messaging app to text them.

If you don't mind learning how to use Tasker, you can get the AutoVoice and AutoContacts plug-ins and make your own voice assistant with a lot more flexibility than what you get from Google or Samsung.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I just transitioned from an iPhone and have some questions:

1. I want to add a certain number to the favorites, where I just need to call it in one click. If the contact has multiple numbers (mobile, work), I get a menu showing all the numbers. Is it possible to add a Person+Phone number to the favorites, where I don't need to keep going through an extra step of selecting the number?

1. I cannot seem to add a person's mobile and the same person's work phone as 2 different favorite items.

2. For a particular contact, even if there is only one phone number, clicking on the favorites goes to the contact page. I wish it would directly dial, instead of asking me to select a number.

3. "Direct dial" widget is good, but there is no way I could setup the same name, with 2 different numbers. ie, Smith Work and Smith Home cannot be done.

4. Can S-Voice send message through other apps. Right now, when I ask it to send a message, it uses the phone's default texting app (going through the carrier). I want it to use whatsapp.

5. I have multiple names with last name "Smith", but S-Voice populates only a few of these when I say "Call Smith". It cannot get the first name of this person.

6. Is there a way to train S-Voice. I say a word and write the corresponding text and it could correlate?

7. Is there a dialer with integrated visual voicemail (like iphone)?

8. LG G2 has an icon at the bottom (next to the dialer), which will pull down the notification screen. Is there such a thing on SGS4?

9. I tried using the Kies software, but the auto-sync does nothing. I couldn't find the files anywhere. Only the folders were created (Photos, Videos, Podcasts etc). Any idea, if it does wi-fi sync without any more steps?
Thanks.

Welcome to the forums and Android.
As a disclaimer, I do not have an S4, but I used to have an S3, so I can try to answer as many questions as I can.

1. As a different approach, how does adding the contact as a shortcut work? I just tried checking this on my S2, and it doesn't work like that. You may need to install a different launcher like Nova. Here is some more info on it: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ambassador-guides-tips-how-tos/299378-guide-nova-launcher.html

1b. (You had 2 questions as 1..lol) Not sure about that one. I don't have any contacts with separate numbers.

2. Again a shortcut may work better.

4. S Voice might possibly use only Samsung apps. You can try to use Google Now (aka Search. Can be found in Play) Here is some more info on it: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ambassador-guides-tips-how-tos/300182-guide-google-now.html
Now should be compatible with most, if not all usable apps for whatever you want to do.

5. Now might be a better option.

6. I don't think so, that might be an Apple patented thing.

7. There may not be a button, but you can pull it down by pressing the status bar at the top and literally pull down. Nova Launcher has an action button that is like that.

8. Not entirely sure. I always hated Kies. Good idea but has never been able to be executed properly.

I hope all that helps.
A different launcher like Nova also allows for much more customizing of your phone in general.