Should i get a Pixel C or Other Android Tablet?

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I know, which is why I was concerned, hopefully as long as it is rarely, if ever depleted again, it should survive. I'm accustomed to getting devices at around 50% as you say.

I have a spare USB type C cord for my Nexus 6p, wondering if the 6p charger could charge the Pixel in a pinch. I just don't feel like the charger/cord combo it came with will hold up. That cord is so flimsy looking!

Battery's up to 87% now, letting it run until charged before I play with it further.

Did notice it fluctuating between 2-3 bars on the wifi where my other devices were all a solid 3. But it's fast and smooth and responsive like my 6p ... so hoping I can live with any wifi quirks.

Edit: Thanks for the links! I may go that route.

Both chargers are Type C so it will work. I used mine for a few days until the new one came in.

Keep in mind, the bars are not a good representation by themselves, only a rough estimate. WiFi Analyzer will give you a more honest representation as well as letting you see if it is contending with some other network.

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I just ran WiFi Analyzer, though I'm not quite sure I understand it, but looks like our 5Ghz was fine for channel, tho it suggested there might be better channels for the 2.4Ghz band.

I looked to see what networks the Pixel C picked up, mostly the same as what my Nexus 7 (2013) did, with maybe one exception. Sitting here in the living room, I'm about 15-16 feet from the router, full bars. Went down to the basement, stayed connected at 3 bars, even out in the garage, which was about as far from the router as I could get without going outside. So here at home, connection looks good so far.

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I just ran WiFi Analyzer, though I'm not quite sure I understand it, but looks like our 5Ghz was fine for channel, tho it suggested there might be better channels for the 2.4Ghz band.

It doesn't account for you being on the channel you are on so it will always suggest another channel. Better to look at the other screens and determine who else is on the same channel or if another channel looks like nobody is on it. the other screens also give you a better representation of the strength of the signal. If you run it on both tablets, you can compare what one says to what the other says for your network (taller is better). You can also walk away from your house and see which tablet drops the connection first, and the difference between the two in distance (should average several attempts).

Don't beg problems though, if the tablet never leaves the house, you're good.

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
At present, the wifi issue isn't worrying me. I really feel like I'm good here at home. Out and about town needs to be tried.

BUT later, because *this* tablet needs to go back IMHO, there is a portion of the screen, along the left edge (portrait) or bottom edge (landscape) that appears yellow/gray and looks dirty. Around 3/4 inch wide. I found a couple places others had mentioned this. Some decided to return, some decided to live with it.

It's likely to drive me buggy tho, I keep screen brightness down on all tablets because my eyes are very sensitive, so I see it *all* the time. And as I use my tablets most in portrait, it really looks bad in books or web browsing or forums. Definitely don't feel this is acceptable in this expensive of a device! None of my other devices have this kind of screen issue.

It's a bummer, hopefully the next will have a good screen.

Specus

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
I've had mine for six weeks. I love it and have no plans on returning it. I have not experienced any WiFi issues during my normal use, but, I don't see my neighbor's hot-spots on my Pixel C, like I can on my Nexus 5, so I can understand why some people have trouble.

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I've had mine for six weeks. I love it and have no plans on returning it. I have not experienced any WiFi issues during my normal use, but, I don't see my neighbor's hot-spots on my Pixel C, like I can on my Nexus 5, so I can understand why some people have trouble.

Mine stays home and in close proximity to the AP most of the time. When it does go on the road with me I tether as opposed to using public WiFi. So if the issue is signal strength alone, I am okay with that except that it appears the Pixel C suffers from a higher than desired rate of defects. So a hardware issue (as opposed to a software fault that Google (or whomever) struggles to correct) is a reason to return it.

If it were running at half the WiFi speed as the iPerf tests appeared to show, that would be a reason to find something else, it didn't feel that way for me. Some of the speed issues people are experiencing, if not all of them, are likely the result of other apps on the tablet (see for example https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/nexus/CM9tv3pjTfQ/pteqqXSUAwAJ). Though there may be some real speed issue--its hard to tell because of the wide range of devices, settings, and other things that can impact both the appearance of signal strength and speed. Mine feels as fast or faster than the tablet it replaced. Note that the same guy linked to above said the May update seemed to make WiFi faster for him.

When this tablet first came out there was this discussion about whether it was originally targeted as a ChromeBook tablet, but was re-purposed at the last minute for whatever reasons. So not only is this a first model year tablet, but it may have been rushed. Those two possibilities are good indicators of potential problems for any product. I don't absolutely know that its been rushed to market, but if it has, they've done a terrific job of making it right, but they deserve our irritation for the problems they do have.

Bottom line? Its a great tablet, I'd keep it if the tech didn't indicate a hardware fault. We'll see how the replacement behaves/looks.