Should I give up my Vzw Unlimited plan?

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Where those share plans really screw someone like me over is I have the only smart phone and I pay for 2 "dumb phones". We NEVER go over our current 700 shared minutes, and I have unlimited data. Including Slacker Radio subscription of $10/month I pay $125 (after taxes and everything).

When I build a shared plan they want me to pay $30 per month for the 2 dumb phones...which is ridiculous. They don't text at all and have no desire to (one is my 79 year old dad and the other is my technically challenged husband, so this will never change) and as I said we never go over 700 shared minutes. The plan comes out to something like $160 with only 2 gigs of data.

However my situation is different than yours...sounds like you have just the 2 smart phones.

Yea, I only have 2 smartphones in my 700min plan too that we never get close reaching. So the unlimited call and text has no benefits for us like I would assume most people nowadays.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Since my wife iphone4s is working just fine for her, she doesn't need to update soon, I'm leaning more towards keeping the unlimited data and just buying the Moto X at retail. I know as soon as there is a Google music app for iOS that she'll be streaming from our Google all access account, so I'll need to see how much data she'll be using then. Also my cycle ends 12/1 so I'm guessing it started 11/1 and I'm already at 900mb by using Netflix for 40min 5 days a week at the gym.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Since my wife iphone4s is working just fine for her, she doesn't need to update soon, I'm leaning more towards keeping the unlimited data and just buying the Moto X at retail. I know as soon as there is a Google music app for iOS that she'll be streaming from our Google all access account, so I'll need to see how much data she'll be using then. Also my cycle ends 12/1 so I'm guessing it started 11/1 and I'm already at 900mb by using Netflix for 40min 5 days a week at the gym.

Why so much Netflix use?

Posted via Android Central App

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Why so much Netflix use?

That's worth pointing out as well. Is Netflix really worth $40-$50/month? It seems like you could switch to locally stored music or books and save a bunch of money. Though that may be outside the scope of this thread and it's not really up to us to decide how much Netflix is "worth" to him per month. It's an idea, though.

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
That's worth pointing out as well. Is Netflix really worth $40-$50/month? It seems like you could switch to locally stored music or books and save a bunch of money. Though that may be outside the scope of this thread and it's not really up to us to decide how much Netflix is "worth" to him per month. It's an idea, though.

Good point on if watching Netflix is worth that $40+ a month to keep unlimited, I will def take that into my decision. My decision isn't on trying to use as lil data as possible and try to locally store everything, it's more on am I paying for what I'm not using if that makes sense. I do locally store all my podcast I listen to and very little music, but I like the freedom of not worrying when I need to stream it. So I'm trying to find out what my worry free zone is and pay the least possible for that, so not watching Netflix so much will def bring that data cap down on my worry free zone.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

That's what I'm thinking because the main reason, he uses so much data is because of Netflix. My bane with data is YouTube. I watch YouTube everyday on my phone. If I was to cut on Netflix and youtube on my phone I would save at least 2GB a months then, I definitely would be averaging around 2 GB a month.

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
So I have a high school buddy who works at Verizon, but I was too embarrassed to contact him to see what he can do for me since we don't actually keep in touch. To my luck, he hit me up on facebook out of nowhere yesterday asking me for some photography advice since he knows I'm into photography. So in return I asked him what he would suggest on my situation. He told me I can add a line for $10 a month and upgrade both mine and my wife's phone on subsidized prices by switching the upgrade to the new line. I thought, well this solves my paying full price to not lose my unlimited situation, but adds $10 to my plan, which is still a savings in the long run. I then thought, well my father in law doesn't have a phone, maybe I'll give him a dumbphone with that $10 add on line just for emergencies so it won't feel like I'm overspending. hahahaha. So I might go this route. Only thing is I won't be able to get a customized Moto X since my buddy wants me to go into the store to get everything situated there with the lines and phone swapping etc. Thanks everyone for their advice!!

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I gave up my unlimited plan with Verizon, and I haven't missed it. Sure, there's a lot of stuff that is moving to streaming from the cloud, but at the same time, I'm almost always on wifi, so it evens out.

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I think my gnex heard I was going to replace it soon. Today I dropped it and the screen won't respond to touch so I can't unlock it. Guess I'm for sure getting the Moto X this week

kashembd121

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
'd say affirmative (as in keep it). i can not live while not it in person... And honestly... Look however mobile knowledge goes.. a lot of and a lot of streaming and things on-line therefore.. Usage is simply absolute to increase.

kt081801

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
So I have a high school buddy who works at Verizon, but I was too embarrassed to contact him to see what he can do for me since we don't actually keep in touch. To my luck, he hit me up on facebook out of nowhere yesterday asking me for some photography advice since he knows I'm into photography. So in return I asked him what he would suggest on my situation. He told me I can add a line for $10 a month and upgrade both mine and my wife's phone on subsidized prices by switching the upgrade to the new line. I thought, well this solves my paying full price to not lose my unlimited situation, but adds $10 to my plan, which is still a savings in the long run. I then thought, well my father in law doesn't have a phone, maybe I'll give him a dumbphone with that $10 add on line just for emergencies so it won't feel like I'm overspending. hahahaha. So I might go this route. Only thing is I won't be able to get a customized Moto X since my buddy wants me to go into the store to get everything situated there with the lines and phone swapping etc. Thanks everyone for their advice!!

Am sort of in the same boat as you, my husband & I have Unlimited Data ("UD") and I've been wanting to upgrade to a Galaxy Note 3 (this is an excellent phone, BTW)....I've done my share of research on this....I use Netflix a lot, I don't care for streaming music, but Netflix does eat up a boat load of data in one sitting. Anyway, I found out that I can add a new line to keep my UD and I thought, cool, that's what I'll do....but, here's the catch, a new line requires a data package too...so, essentially you're not just paying $10/month for a new line....it's $10 PLUS $30 for a 2GB data package, that's $40 x 24 months = $960!!! Verizon get ya one way or another, LOL!!! I may just wait 'til BlackFriday sale and buy the phone retail and keep my UD :)

Whatever you decide, hope all will work out for you :)

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Am sort of in the same boat as you, my husband & I have Unlimited Data ("UD") and I've been wanting to upgrade to a Galaxy Note 3 (this is an excellent phone, BTW)....I've done my share of research on this....I use Netflix a lot, I don't care for streaming music, but Netflix does eat up a boat load of data in one sitting. Anyway, I found out that I can add a new line to keep my UD and I thought, cool, that's what I'll do....but, here's the catch, a new line requires a data package too...so, essentially you're not just paying $10/month for a new line....it's $10 PLUS $30 for a 2GB data package, that's $40 x 24 months = $960!!! Verizon get ya one way or another, LOL!!! I may just wait 'til BlackFriday sale and buy the phone retail and keep my UD :)

Whatever you decide, hope all will work out for you :)

I just came from ordering my Moto X and I had asked him about that 30$ charge and he said that the extra line will be a dumbphone line so it's only 10$ a month. It will only be a data lime for the couple days it takes for me to get my Moto X and switch it to my number. So the 30$ data will be prorated for those couple days and then only 10$ a month after.

kt081801

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Xterror, I'll have to try again, cause when I was going thru the check out process via Amazon, it added the extra $30 at the end of my total, that's how I got the impression that I had to spend that extra 30/month.....I was guessing that would make sense cause nothing's free when ur dealing w/VZN, lol.....

Thanks for the update and am glad u got what u wanted, yay!! Enjoy ur new phone.....Moto X is a gorgeous phone!! :)

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Got my Moto X yesterday and got it switched from the new 10$ line to my current unlimited data number. Activated an old LG Env on that extra line for my father-in-law, so it all looking like it's working out. As soon as I turned it on it was downloading KitKat 4.4 so I never experience it with the previous version.

Thank you everyone for their input.

kt081801

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Got my Moto X yesterday and got it switched from the new 10$ line to my current unlimited data number. Activated an old LG Env on that extra line for my father-in-law, so it all looking like it's working out. As soon as I turned it on it was downloading KitKat 4.4 so I never experience it with the previous version.

Thank you everyone for their input.

So, do you just call VZN to help you switch your lines? Sounds easy enough. Cant wait to get my new Note 3 :) Have fun with your new Moto X !!

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
So, do you just call VZN to help you switch your lines? Sounds easy enough. Cant wait to get my new Note 3 :) Have fun with your new Moto X !!

I actually went in to vzn and had my buddy that works there take care of all the switching etc. While I was there waiting for him to set everything up I heard another sales rep tell a guy who wanted to keep his unlimited plan add the $10 line. Same thing I was doing.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

took2089

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Xterror, I'll have to try again, cause when I was going thru the check out process via Amazon, it added the extra $30 at the end of my total, that's how I got the impression that I had to spend that extra 30/month.....I was guessing that would make sense cause nothing's free when ur dealing w/VZN, lol.....

Thanks for the update and am glad u got what u wanted, yay!! Enjoy ur new phone.....Moto X is a gorgeous phone!! :)

I would be careful with Amazon as I believe they won't let you change features on a line without penalty. I could be wrong but I believe only best buy Verizon and Costco are safe in that regard.

kt081801

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
I would be careful with Amazon as I believe they won't let you change features on a line without penalty. I could be wrong but I believe only best buy Verizon and Costco are safe in that regard.

Yea, I've already disregard going thru Amazon....cheaper does have its price!! Am waiting for Black Friday and see if there's any price break on the Note3 and then I'll be hitting up either VZN or Costco :)

With Thanksgiving just around the corner....it's time to be thankful....am very thankful for Android Central, this is a such a great website along with all the great people!!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone!! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001