Should I return Note4? Last day I can exchange it.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
So I bought the Note4 a couple weeks ago knowing the Note5 would be coming out. I had the S6 but the phone was total garbage with non removable battery terrible audio, and terrible batter life so I traded it in for Note4.

Anyways kind of bored with Samsung and today is the last day at Tmobile I can exchange it so should I exchange it for the newer G4 which is cheaper too since I'll take a restocking fee hit?

I'm asking the question on both forums to help weigh my decision. I like the Note4 but It's kinda bland to me.

Is the Note4 still better than G4 even though it's older?

PublicImageLtd

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Keep the note 4, best out there. The note 5, no removable battery or sd card slot. So I'd hang on to your note 4.

Posted via the Android Central App

jordyd

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
The Note 4 is the best phone I've ever had, and its not because I own it I say that, its because I bought it because of that. ;)

LG G4 looks cool to me though, but if I went with it, it would seem a little bit of a downgrade to me.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
So if I wanted to bite the bullet and return and get the note 5 instead that would be a bad idea too you think?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Having had the G4, selling it and coming back to the Note 4 I would pick the Note 4. I like having that S-Pen. The G4 is a great phone. No complaints but I definitely missed the S-Pen. As for the Note 5, it depends on if you value the SD card and removable battery over the bump in specs and new features. I'm sticking with the 4 myself. You have to decide what you value. Nobody can do that but you.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Like cw said it will depend on your needs. If you are ok with not having a removable battery or a SD card slot then get the note 5. I have no experience with the g4 so I can't comment on that one. Get the phone that you feel will work for you.

Ambivalencetech

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
A different answer for you. Go to the store and see if it's too late to get on the jump on demand program. Return if possible and start with the note 4. If you love it pay the full price (costs exactly the same), if you don't you simply jump to a new phone and the only loss are the monthly payments you made. This way you can defer the choice until later and pay monthly fees that go toward the cost of the phone. Good luck!

buffdaddy72

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
If you can deal with the non-removable and no SD card slot then I would grab the Note 5. I love the look of the N5 but I really wish they would of stuck with at least an SD card slot. I'm pretty content with my Note 4 and have no urge to jump on the N5 bandwagon.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
The Note 4 is the better device hands down.

The SPen suite, better battery life, far better display, better build quality, faster GPU etc... The Note 4 beats the G4 in most areas. :)

Sent from my Note 4 +64GB MicroSDXC via Tapatalk

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Having had the G4, selling it and coming back to the Note 4 I would pick the Note 4. I like having that S-Pen. The G4 is a great phone. No complaints but I definitely missed the S-Pen. As for the Note 5, it depends on if you value the SD card and removable battery over the bump in specs and new features. I'm sticking with the 4 myself. You have to decide what you value. Nobody can do that but you.

Even with the failed support from Samsung? I take it your not on 5.0?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Even with the failed support from Samsung? I take it your not on 5.0?
Sorry. I'm not sure what failed support you are referring to. Maybe I'm missing something. I am running 5.0.1 with no issues at all. I switch between TouchWiz and Nova Launcher. Both work smoothly. I have had very little lag on either of the Note 4's that I've owned. About the only time I've seen lag is with the gallery app and that is only occasionally.

Sent from my Note 4

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Sorry. I'm not sure what failed support you are referring to. Maybe I'm missing something. I am running 5.0.1 with no issues at all. I switch between TouchWiz and Nova Launcher. Both work smoothly. I have had very little lag on either of the Note 4's that I've owned. About the only time I've seen lag is with the gallery app and that is only occasionally.

Sent from my Note 4

Sorry, the failed support from Samsung. A lot of people said 5.0 ruined the Note 4 and it no telling when android M will come out let alone 5.1.1. Verizon is my carrier. I want the note 4 but with all the recent issues and people reverting back to kitkat tells me that Samsung doesn't really support their devices. I had the S4 but I got tired of touch whiz but I always wanted the Note 4. I have a chance but I don't want to waste my upgrade on the 4. Don't care for the new edge phones or Note 5.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, the failed support from Samsung. A lot of people said 5.0 ruined the Note 4 and it no telling when android M will come out let alone 5.1.1. Verizon is my carrier. I want the note 4 but with all the recent issues and people reverting back to kitkat tells me that Samsung doesn't really support their devices. I had the S4 but I got tired of touch whiz but I always wanted the Note 4. I have a chance but I don't want to waste my upgrade on the 4. Don't care for the new edge phones or Note 5.
I have a Verizon Note 4. I can tell you three things. First, I have not had any issues with 5.0.1 on two separate Note 4's from Verizon. Second, you have to remember that just because you see a lot of posts in a forum about an issue doesn't mean it is widespread. People come to forums for help and sometimes just to complain. Very few people come and make post that everything is perfect with their phone. Third, being the first to get an update isn't always a good thing. For me, 5.0.1 runs great and does all I need it to do. I can customize my phone to look however I want. I don't need Android M. I'll take it when it comes but it doesn't make a difference in my day to day use.

With that being said, I'm not saying you should use an upgrade on the Note 4. It is a year old phone now. You can get one on Swappa for about $350 in great condition and save your upgrade. That's what I would do only because there isn't a phone out right now that is worth the full price, in my opinion. Good luck to you.

Sent from my Note 4

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I have a Verizon Note 4. I can tell you three things. First, I have not had any issues with 5.0.1 on two separate Note 4's from Verizon. Second, you have to remember that just because you see a lot of posts in a forum about an issue doesn't mean it is widespread. People come to forums for help and sometimes just to complain. Very few people come and make post that everything is perfect with their phone. Third, being the first to get an update isn't always a good thing. For me, 5.0.1 runs great and does all I need it to do. I can customize my phone to look however I want. I don't need Android M. I'll take it when it comes but it doesn't make a difference in my day to day use.

With that being said, I'm not saying you should use an upgrade on the Note 4. It is a year old phone now. You can get one on Swappa for about $350 in great condition and save your upgrade. That's what I would do only because there isn't a phone out right now that is worth the full price, in my opinion. Good luck to you.

Sent from my Note 4

Response much appreciated! I thought about the eBay/swappa route as well. Your right about the widespread but i did see many of articles talking about the upgrade ruining their Note 4 but in the end your right. Great points.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Response much appreciated! I thought about the eBay/swappa route as well. Your right about the widespread but i did see many of articles talking about the upgrade ruining their Note 4 but in the end your right. Great points.
You're right. There are a number of articles about it. Because of that, I was hesitant to get a second Note 4 because I thought I might not be so lucky the second time around. So far so good though. I hope it works out for you as well.

Sent from my Note 4

Soreloser

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I switched from the Note 4 a couple months ago. I loved the Note 4 overall except for just one annoying issue...bluetooth skipping when listening to music. There is a LONG thread about this in the Note 4 forum. I liked the battery life. I liked the screen. I liked the S-Pen. I had no issues with lag except for the common one when going to gallery after taking a photo. My wife uses it now and loves it.

That said, the G4 is an amazing phone. Things I like over the Note 4 are the knock on/off and no bluetooth skipping. I don't do a lot of photo/video but I seem to do better with the G4 over the Note 4. The step counter on the G4 is way more accurate for me than the one on the Note 4, which would count steps while I was driving my work truck.

You can't go wrong with either phone...pick which ever one feels nicer in your hand or pocket.

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Why are you even considering the n5 if you didn't like the s6 due to non removable battery?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Well just an update I got the Note 5 instead and love it! Battery life is great on it and so much improved over the S6. In a way I think it was dumb trading the S6 in on the Note 4. I should have held onto it and just bought a better portable power pack since otherwise not huge difference over the Note 5 other than Spen. However I'd still probably eventually have traded it in on the Note 5. Note 5 is better than the Note 4 imo! Now imagine if the Note 5 had removable batter storage and IR blaster and these same specs. Would be even more of an amazing piece.

I'm glad I bit the bullet and paid the $50 restocking fee and paid the extra money. It was worth it over the note 4. Also THe Defender case for this phone is amazing quality too. The built in screen protector was garbage though and I took a hair dryer and warmed the glue up and removed it and added ZAGG onto it. The Defender case for the s6 and Note 5 are greatly improved over the Note 4 Defender case which was total garbage.

I still have the case obsession though. I originally used a speck candy grip shell but didn't like the thin protection. Waiting to see what the Poetic case is like I had the Revolution for the S6 and for the price the quality was better than Otterbox and the built in screen protector was just as clear and responsive as tempered glass and didn't get as much dirt under it like the Otterbox but since I got tempered glass and like this Defender Case I might just stick with it. Waiting to see what the Spigen Tough Armor looks like for it as well but on my s6 the case cut into my hands when using it.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Well just an update I got the Note 5 instead and love it! Battery life is great on it and so much improved over the S6. In a way I think it was dumb trading the S6 in on the Note 4. I should have held onto it and just bought a better portable power pack since otherwise not huge difference over the Note 5 other than Spen. However I'd still probably eventually have traded it in on the Note 5. Note 5 is better than the Note 4 imo! Now imagine if the Note 5 had removable batter storage and IR blaster and these same specs. Would be even more of an amazing piece.

I'm glad I bit the bullet and paid the $50 restocking fee and paid the extra money. It was worth it over the note 4. Also THe Defender case for this phone is amazing quality too. The built in screen protector was garbage though and I took a hair dryer and warmed the glue up and removed it and added ZAGG onto it. The Defender case for the s6 and Note 5 are greatly improved over the Note 4 Defender case which was total garbage.

I still have the case obsession though. I originally used a speck candy grip shell but didn't like the thin protection. Waiting to see what the Poetic case is like I had the Revolution for the S6 and for the price the quality was better than Otterbox and the built in screen protector was just as clear and responsive as tempered glass and didn't get as much dirt under it like the Otterbox but since I got tempered glass and like this Defender Case I might just stick with it. Waiting to see what the Spigen Tough Armor looks like for it as well but on my s6 the case cut into my hands when using it.

Glad you are enjoying you new phone. Of course many of us here are biased because we love the note 4, but at the end of the day you went with the phone you felt was right for you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRG582