should I upgrade to the note 4 or note 5

Link169

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
It's upgrade time for me and I'm currently using the ol S4. My buddy has the note 4 and I've been very pleased with how well it performs. Battery life amazing screen size and overall performance.

Now with the note 5 I'm not too hurt the non removable SD card or battery. Due to the fact I only really need memory for my music and not a huge picture taking guy. If the battery last a day that's way way way WAY more than my S4 has ever managed.

But so much backlash on note 5. I feel it's honestly just cause the lack of removable SD and battery. So with those to factors aside would the note 5 be worth an upgrade from the S4 or should I go with the note 4.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Along with battery size, those two items are the biggest issues that people have been having a problem with. I'd say its really up to you to decide if those two items are big enough that you don't need to upgrade. Keep in mind that the with a smaller battery, one would assume that use would be shortened; however, keep in mind that the hardware is more efficient (screen and processor) that life should be better. We won't really know until the device makes its way into people's hands for real world use.

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Wait until the N5 actually comes out. Don't get caught up in the hype of a new phone before it's released. Trust me I know. Plus the if the N5 isn't all that then you can pick up an N4 cheaper.

I am in the process of making my Note 4 self aware.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It's upgrade time for me and I'm currently using the ol S4. My buddy has the note 4 and I've been very pleased with how well it performs. Battery life amazing screen size and overall performance.

Now with the note 5 I'm not too hurt the non removable SD card or battery. Due to the fact I only really need memory for my music and not a huge picture taking guy. If the battery last a day that's way way way WAY more than my S4 has ever managed.

But so much backlash on note 5. I feel it's honestly just cause the lack of removable SD and battery. So with those to factors aside would the note 5 be worth an upgrade from the S4 or should I go with the note 4.

Battery life is an unknown as not many people have it now, but it should perform better than the note 4, the internal storage is faster, the camera is better, fingerprint scanner works better, fast wireless charging is built in(note4 requires a wireless back or pad, and even then, it charges slow) , it has more ram, and is 64 bit(the s805 in the note 4 is 32 bit) . So the note 5 has some improvements over the note 4... Whether or not they are enough for you is the question.

Personally I have had the note 4, s6, g4,and will get the note 5.

feragola

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
Think about it, how many times have you had to swap a battery now. Is it anymore convenient then carrying a backup that you can just plug in and with fast charging, it might not be an issue at all.
Memory, there is not much to say there with everyone offering cloud backup and storage, will you really even need to have a removable or bigger SD card?
99.9% of the people complaining about these two things it will never effect and I bet most of the more vocal complainers probably would not be buying the Note 5 anyway.

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
If you don't need the SD card or the ir blaster the 5 is a no brainer. This battery should be more than enough to get anyone thru a day. It's much more comfortable to hold and is very speedy. Fingerprint scanner on the 4 is unusable. On the 5 it is awesome. Camera is better and way faster on the 5 and supports raw images. The s pen has some good enhancements on the 5 over the 4.
I was skeptical but I'll be selling my 4 now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
A lot of it depends on whether or not you are the type to root and rom your phone. If you do plan to root it then the speed issues are moot because there is some very capable roms out that are insanely fast over stock. If you plan to root the camera is actually not much of an improvement at all as the sensor is actually the same than on the Note 4 and a good rom like PopRocks makes the camera awesome.

If you don't root, don't use your phone more than 6 hours a day (screen on time), don't take a lot of pics and or video, don't use the IR remote and have a lot of money then yes, the Note 5 at almost twice the money is a good fit for you.

Link169

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
Dang when you point out the money part you make a great point. I would really miss the ir blaster. Love using my phone as a remote in stores or just at home. That's something is discouraging me too

feragola

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
The Note 5, while having the same sensor, has a F1.9 aperture. Which is definitively better then the F2.2 of the Note 4.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Note 5

I'll restate my opinion here. I have the Note 4 and I ordered the Note 5. The upgrades for me will be:

- the quick-access camera (double tap) and the f1.9 lens is also an improvement over the N4 - along with the better FFC.
- UFS 2.0 storage
- 4 GB of RAM
- fast wireless charging (built in) might be a real benefit for me
- Improved fingerprint scanner
- the S-pen improvements and writing with the screen off is cool
- the design looks great to me.
- the YouTube streaming actually looks cool IMO
:)

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
If you don't need the SD card or the ir blaster the 5 is a no brainer. This battery should be more than enough to get anyone thru a day. It's much more comfortable to hold and is very speedy. Fingerprint scanner on the 4 is unusable. On the 5 it is awesome. Camera is better and way faster on the 5 and supports raw images. The s pen has some good enhancements on the 5 over the 4.
I was skeptical but I'll be selling my 4 now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

What this guy said. But no. I won't be selling my Note 4. I don't know why the Note 5 feels more to me like a different phone rather than a better one.

If I'd switch I'd go for the edge.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
go for Note 4 if any of the following applies:

1. budget limit
2. want to keep the phone for more than 2 years
3. need lot of storage.
4. cares greatly about resale values

Otherwise, Note 5 is the latest product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzle