Should I wait until Nov. to upgrade or should I go for the SG3 now?!?

Bakerboy2253

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I’ve had the TB since launch date. If you remember it was one of the latest greatest in the market place. Nothing else was close. Most people were waiting for the TB or the Bionic. Let’s be realistic nothing lately has set the world on fire to beat it. I mean really…faster...battery life…etc. These don’t set the world on fire. So you got on the web page a milla second faster or a text your BFF in a lightning flash. Nothing really new here, sorry. I am waiting until something really spectacular comes out. By the way your 1 year old car is out dated too, are you buying a new car? Hell no, next truck has to be really sweet!!

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
comparing a smartphone to a car is comparing apples to oranges. let's face it, we got the tbolt cuz it was much faster than anything else before it. just as right now we're looking at a SGS3 because it's much faster than the tbolt. you're right, nothing coming out is THAT amazing where you need to upgrade, probably why I stuck with my tbolt as long as I did, but try out an SGS3 and you'll see a huge difference.

my tbolt kept dropping data signal so it was no longer performing its intended job, so I needed (ok maybe not needed per say, smartphones aren't a necessity) to get a new phone and I went with the SGS3. so I guess it depends on your circumstances.

JWatson4701

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting for the Note II, unless all of the rumored specs of the DIx are completely wrong and it will have expandable memory and better RAM.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I?ve had the TB since launch date. If you remember it was one of the latest greatest in the market place. Nothing else was close. Most people were waiting for the TB or the Bionic. Let?s be realistic nothing lately has set the world on fire to beat it. I mean really?faster...battery life?etc. These don?t set the world on fire. So you got on the web page a milla second faster or a text your BFF in a lightning flash. Nothing really new here, sorry. I am waiting until something really spectacular comes out. By the way your 1 year old car is out dated too, are you buying a new car? Hell no, next truck has to be really sweet!!

A one year old car can still be current gen. Cars typically change generations every 3-5 years. In terms of android smartphones, the TB is using a 2010 CPU, and there have been 2 generation updates since it came out. So really, a TBolt would be equivalent to a 6-10 year old car. Is it usable? Just like a 6-10 year old car, absolultely. But is it the latest and greatest? No. If you are waiting for a car/truck with a lot more more equivalent improvement as from a tbolt to a gs3, then you will be waiting a long time.

The GS3 is over 30% thinner than the TBolt
The GS3 is over 20% lighter than the TBolt
The GS3 has 240% the pixels of the TBolt
The GS3 has about a 20% larger screen
The battery life on the GS3 is probably 1.5-2x as good as the Tbolt, based on my usage.
I have never seen 30mbps on my TBolt, on my GS3, i have seen over 60mbps several times.
The GS3 radio drops way less frequently than the TBolt, in my experience. Almost as good as my Razr Maxx.
The GS3 doesn't have random shut downs and restarts as all 4 of my Tbolts had (2 new, 2 clnr)
The GS3 is substantially faster in my usage, almost no lag opening apps.

Whether or not these changes are worth it is up to the individual person. But waiting for a phone to blow you away way a lot more than the GS3...you will be waiting quite some time. Which is fine, btw, if you are happy with what you have, why spend more money?

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX / Atrix Lapdock

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
The GS3 is over 30% thinner than the TBolt
The GS3 is over 20% lighter than the TBolt
The GS3 has 240% the pixels of the TBolt
The GS3 has about a 20% larger screen
The battery life on the GS3 is probably 1.5-2x as good as the Tbolt, based on my usage.
I have never seen 30mbps on my TBolt, on my GS3, i have seen over 60mbps several times.
The GS3 radio drops way less frequently than the TBolt, in my experience. Almost as good as my Razr Maxx.
The GS3 doesn't have random shut downs and restarts as all 4 of my Tbolts had (2 new, 2 clnr)
The GS3 is substantially faster in my usage, almost no lag opening apps.

Whether or not these changes are worth it is up to the individual person. But waiting for a phone to blow you away way a lot more than the GS3...you will be waiting quite some time. Which is fine, btw, if you are happy with what you have, why spend more money?

Wow, over 60mbps? You must be near a lightly used tower with some heavy duty backhaul! The best I've ever seen was around 40 on a known lightly loaded tower in a sparsely populated area back when LTE was first turned up. Granted newer radios are going to be more efficient, but I wouldn't think they'd give you all that much more speed on a loaded tower. Anyway, good breakdown on how the Galaxy S3 compares to the Thunderbolt. Although I have to say the last random shutdown/reboot I've ever had was back on the MR1 software in early summer of 2011. Subsequent software updates eliminated those for me and I've been very happy with battery life since getting Gingerbread; with light to moderate use I average 24-35 hours on the standard battery (40-45 on the Rezound 1620mAh battery), half that with very heavy use. Also, some of those come down to personal preference like the thinner and lighter. Myself, I like the thickness (with the standard battery) and weight of the Thunderbolt. It feels solid and substantial in hand. In fact so much so, I could probably smash a Galaxy S3 to pieces while maintaining a phone call with nary a scratch on the Thunderbolt. LOL :p Seriously, I agree the Galaxy S3 definitely has some great appeal. It is the best phone out currently. But, I've played with one and the physical home button kills it for me as well as TouchWiz. I know you could put a third party launcher over it or root and load a custom ROM, but that just doesn't cut it for me. I'm content to wait and see what is coming in the next six months, especially since my Thunderbolt is still working so well. :)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow, over 60mbps? You must be near a lightly used tower with some heavy duty backhaul! The best I've ever seen was around 40 on a known lightly loaded tower in a sparsely populated area back when LTE was first turned up. Granted newer radios are going to be more efficient, but I wouldn't think they'd give you all that much more speed on a loaded tower. Anyway, good breakdown on how the Galaxy S3 compares to the Thunderbolt. Although I have to say the last random shutdown/reboot I've ever had was back on the MR1 software in early summer of 2011. Subsequent software updates eliminated those for me and I've been very happy with battery life since getting Gingerbread; with light to moderate use I average 24-35 hours on the standard battery (40-45 on the Rezound 1620mAh battery), half that with very heavy use. Also, some of those come down to personal preference like the thinner and lighter. Myself, I like the thickness (with the standard battery) and weight of the Thunderbolt. It feels solid and substantial in hand. In fact so much so, I could probably smash a Galaxy S3 to pieces while maintaining a phone call with nary a scratch on the Thunderbolt. LOL :p Seriously, I agree the Galaxy S3 definitely has some great appeal. It is the best phone out currently. But, I've played with one and the physical home button kills it for me as well as TouchWiz. I know you could put a third party launcher over it or root and load a custom ROM, but that just doesn't cut it for me. I'm content to wait and see what is coming in the next six months, especially since my Thunderbolt is still working so well. :)

I don't know about load, but it was in a densely populated part of LA with lots of apartments and condos around and in the middle of the day (i.e. not a 2 AM test).

I had a shut down in November 2011, which sparked me to get the Rezound for $50 on upgrade. I can deal with a restart, but not with a random shut down. seems to be more of an issue in weak signal areas. The tbolt does feel solid, but in order to get the battery life similar to the gs3, i had to get the extended battery, which made the tb even heavier and thicker.

I am not a big fan of the physical home button either. Hey, if it works well and you are happy, no reason to upgrade. But I just wanted to point out that the GS3 is a substantial upgrade from the tbolt. Personally, I would have never gotten one except that Verizon decided to end unlimited data for upgrades, so i wanted to push in one last upgrade. At this point though, i would suggest you wait 3 months, i am sure new phones are coming on the horizon before Christmas. DIX, razr hd maxx, note 2, or whatever else is in the pipeline. The GS3 was certainly not my first choice, but it was not a bad choice either.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX / Atrix Lapdock

Brainfart

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm up in beginning of December and if nothing better than the Gs3 comes out then that is what I'll be getting. My wife has a Gs3 and I am very impressed with everything about it. I finally have a nice ics rom on my tbolt (liquid ics) and really like it but there are still a few annoyances that I am running into. But it's good enough for my daily until December then I will make the switch. At least out tbolts aren't rebooting at random anymore lol.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

motty69

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm due mid-November and unless a new Nexus shows up with something really special I'll probably go with the Razr HD (Maxx HD of it's not too expensive). Those phones have everything the newer HTCs seem to be missing (except for removable battery). But if a new HTC Nexus drops with a quad-core S4, 2GB of ram, 1080p screen and at least 32GB of storage I might just change my mind.

flyerchas

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm due in December, and definitely wont' go with HTC. With Apple, Motorola and Samsung available, there's plenty to choose from. Since Samsung is already upgrading to Jelly Bean, I'm leaning toward that. But it may by with AT&T. Between Verizon and HTC, I'm tired of being yanked around with the lure of "future" upgrades.

Chilly818

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm due in December, and definitely wont' go with HTC. With Apple, Motorola and Samsung available, there's plenty to choose from. Since Samsung is already upgrading to Jelly Bean, I'm leaning toward that. But it may by with AT&T. Between Verizon and HTC, I'm tired of being yanked around with the lure of "future" upgrades.

truuuuuuuuue!