SMS Auto Response Based on Speed Traveling

lawdawgmon

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
So here's an App that I personally would love to see created. If I had any sort of Dev skills I would create it myself. My wife gives me grief if I don't respond to her TXTs/Answer the phone right away. The problem, is that I refuse to do either while I'm driving.

My guess is that I'm not alone in not wanting to be one of the many distracted drivers out there, and I bet there are others that would like an app that does this:

Idea for App

Use GPS to determine your speed.
If you are traveling at a speed greater than 10MPH (User defined) then send calls directly to Voice mail and setup an SMS auto response (user defined.)

Something like, "<auto response>I'm currently driving. I'll reply to your message when I reach my destination."

Once a phone reaches a speed greater than 10mph (user defined) a button is placed on the lock screen that you can hit once you have actually reached your destination/you want to disable the auto response. Also, you could auto disable after X minutes (user defined) below 10mph (user defined).

If done well, I'd totally buy an app that does this.

scharfy

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar idea but mine was an app you'd have to open before driving and close after. Hadn't even thought of using the GPS to automatically do it. Therefore, your idea wins... ;)

lawdawgmon

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Speed

So here's an App that I personally would love to see created. If I had any sort of Dev skills I would create it myself. My wife gives me grief if I don't respond to her TXTs/Answer the phone right away. The problem, is that I refuse to do either while I'm driving.

My guess is that I'm not alone in not wanting to be one of the many distracted drivers out there, and I bet there are others that would like an app that does this:

Idea for App

Use GPS to determine your speed.
If you are traveling at a speed greater than 10MPH (User defined) then send calls directly to Voice mail and setup an SMS auto response (user defined.)

Something like, "<auto response>I'm currently driving. I'll reply to your message when I reach my destination."

Once a phone reaches a speed greater than 10mph (user defined) a button is placed on the lock screen that you can hit once you have actually reached your destination/you want to disable the auto response. Also, you could auto disable after X minutes (user defined) below 10mph (user defined).

If done well, I'd totally buy an app that does this.

I just realized that this sounds allot like Speed. If this app is created, please don't try to replicate the movie.

On a side note, perhaps another feature of an app like this could be to setup alarms if you exceed certain speeds or if you fall below certain speeds. Maybe this could help sleepy/distracted drivers. Maybe the app could ping a database of posted speed limits somewhere and notify the driver if they are exceeding or are under the posted speed limit. I don't know, maybe that should be an app all on it's own. Feature bloat is always a risk. Oh well, these apps probably already exist and I've just not found them

lawdawgmon

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar idea but mine was an app you'd have to open before driving and close after. Hadn't even thought of using the GPS to automatically do it. Therefore, your idea wins... ;)

Nah! I don't win... Actually, I think we would all win if someone could create this app. I really wish I had paid more attention in school when I was taking programming classes. Damn, Gameboy!!!!

joggy

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
The Otter Apps may already do what you're looking for. I've been on the fence regarding purchasing something like this myself, but the idea is interesting for sure.

lawdawgmon

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
The Otter Apps may already do what you're looking for. I've been on the fence regarding purchasing something like this myself, but the idea is interesting for sure.

Thanks for the link! It looks like this app does pretty much what I was looking for. Not sure if the MPH is editable but I think I'll download it over the weekend and try it out.

lawdawgmon

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Over the weekend I tried both the "Driving Text Answering Machine" and "Otter." Unfortunately, I just discovered another need for these app, and that would be Google Voice support. Without it, they are both useless to me since I use GV for 100% of my txt and voice service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentofficer