So who else is getting the Tbolt on a 1 year plan and waiting for next year?

rigorx

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the upgrade on a 1-yr is 10 months, 20 months on a 2yr.

And the price isn't set yet. I know BMX said they were planning to make it "less desirable" to get 1yr contracts.

Hopefully they don't make it too undesirable. The fair pricing on hardware is what makes 1 year contracts & VZW great.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. It's a huge difference.

Honestly though, $350 would be pretty steep.

Too steep for me. It's almost a double-wammy! Jumping the normal release price point up $50 (e.g., $199 to $249), while also jumping the price difference of 2-yr to 1-yr $30 or more (e.g., $70 to $100+). That's at least $80 more than what it is currently and has been for some time.

rigorx

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Too steep for me. It's almost a double-wammy! Jumping the normal release price point up $50 (e.g., $199 to $249), while also jumping the price difference of 2-yr to 1-yr $30 or more (e.g., $70 to $100+). That's at least $80 more than what it is currently and has been for some time.

While I agree it's a bit steep, I'm still willing to play ball and do it. No other major carrier even presents 1 year contract options, so VZW giving me somewhere around ~$300 off the high end hardware for staying & signing with them for 10 months is still a pretty good deal, IMO.

Here's hoping that this $50 ($249 for 2 year contract) increase is 'one time, one 4G phone' thing that is helping VZW recoup their 4G LTE network investment. It's also entirely possible we'll see 4G LTE phones remain at this increased price, and 3G phones will be the more accustomed to cheaper price of $199 for 2 years.

brucipher

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I have been on the fence about whether or not to buy the Thunderbolt, or wait for the Bionic/Dual Core phones to be released. I pre-ordered the Tbolt at Best Buy just to save my spot in case I went in that direction.

Well, today, I think I have made my decision. I returned my $50 BB gift card and canceled my pre-order, because I am really liking this one year option instead. Once the Tbolt comes out, I plan on buying it, but I will feel better knowing I could upgrade in 10 months if I feel like I need or want to at that time. Too bad BB can't offer the 1 year option.

Note for anyone else who may choose this option and already pre-ordered the Tbolt...it took BB FOREVER to process the return. There were 4 of them around the computer and still couldnt figure it out. I originally pre-ordered and put the $50 on my credit card, and since they couldnt figure out how to process the return they just gave me $50 cash. That worked for me :)

I hope that my local Verizon stores don't sell out on release day before I can get one, because I am anxious to rid myself of my Palm Pre Plus!

brucipher

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

We don't know Verizon's pricing for sure yet, do we? I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that maybe they will sell it for $199 and that Best Buy is just over charging at $249. We shall see!

anon(157335)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
We don't know Verizon's pricing for sure yet, do we? I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that maybe they will sell it for $199 and that Best Buy is just over charging at $249. We shall see!

Same here. But either way, I'll be signing a two year contract. Upgrading every 20 months is often enough for me.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

No we don't, and, like you, I'm holding out hope that they do release it at $199. Also, it was pointed out that today, VZW dropped the price of the DX to $149 (was $199 yesterday). VZW typically drops the price of their top phones to make way for the new release at the "traditional" price point of $199.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have been on the fence about whether or not to buy the Thunderbolt, or wait for the Bionic/Dual Core phones to be released. I pre-ordered the Tbolt at Best Buy just to save my spot in case I went in that direction.

Well, today, I think I have made my decision. I returned my $50 BB gift card and canceled my pre-order, because I am really liking this one year option instead. Once the Tbolt comes out, I plan on buying it, but I will feel better knowing I could upgrade in 10 months if I feel like I need or want to at that time. Too bad BB can't offer the 1 year option.

Note for anyone else who may choose this option and already pre-ordered the Tbolt...it took BB FOREVER to process the return. There were 4 of them around the computer and still couldnt figure it out. I originally pre-ordered and put the $50 on my credit card, and since they couldnt figure out how to process the return they just gave me $50 cash. That worked for me :)

I hope that my local Verizon stores don't sell out on release day before I can get one, because I am anxious to rid myself of my Palm Pre Plus!

same instance when i returned my Evo pre-order; went from Customer Service to Mobile, to Customer Service, finally had to call the Store Manager to come in on her day off to process the return. wow. under-trained (for that scenario).

i wouldn't think, with how little coverage this phone has gotten apart from those on the forums who know it's coming out, that the phone would sell out @ stores. if it does--oy. talk about another DroidIncredible fiasco happening.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I don't see this phone selling out in stores, I agree. Outside of the communities online, virtually no one even knows this phone exists at this point.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't see this phone selling out in stores, I agree. Outside of the communities online, virtually no one even knows this phone exists at this point.

I think it will sell out in pre-orders, but as far as in stores probably not.

However, the DX sold out early on, didn't it? So did the EVO.

barnebyjones

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
A few friends of mine don't know about it and they're tech guys who are usually up to date on phones.

And honestly I don't care about the cost since I've had an Env3 for about 2 years.
~$350 isn't so bad.

nutty

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I posted this in the BB thread, but when I was at my BB they showed me in their system that it's targeted to go for $500 on a 1 year plan ($249 on a 2 year plan).

menji

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting it on a 2 yr contract. I know, I'm completely nuts =). but if I ever want to upgrade at any time, I would have no problem paying full price. From the sound of it, it sounds like a one year tbolt might end up being a couple hundred from full price, but it's just speculation at this point. Guess we gotta play the waiting game for a couple of weeks.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting it on a 2 yr contract. I know, I'm completely nuts =). but if I ever want to upgrade at any time, I would have no problem paying full price. From the sound of it, it sounds like a one year tbolt might end up being a couple hundred from full price, but it's just speculation at this point. Guess we gotta play the waiting game for a couple of weeks.

a 1yr tbolt will probably fetch around $400

Even so if you sign a 1yr contract you can buy a new phone again at $330 (as an example) and sell your bolt for $400. Your net loss is still just the price of one phone and a few dollars back.

If you sign a 2yr to save $100, you'll end up losing a lot more.

1yr = $330 (for arguments sake) - $400 (selling) + $330 = $260
2yr = $250 - $400 + $650 (arguments sake again) = $500

On a 2yr you are also betting on being able to sell the bolt for that much anyway. Not to mention you'll be paying tax on $650 instead of $330 twice over...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yusufdontk