So, why do I need a new phone?

928SC

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Looking at all the new phone out there and I’m trying to figure out why I need a new phone.
- My phone is paid for, no more Verizon monthly payments.
- My batter y still works well (~50% at the end of a normal days use).
- Good screen size, small bezel, well built.
- And it does almost everything I want a smartphone to do.

The only issue I’m having is when I clear the cache (after it take an eternity) I get error messages now (which scroll past to fast to read) and I’m not sure it is actually working (clearing the cache).

What would be nice to have in a new phone:
- Waterproof (just in case).
- Finger print sensor (but I don’t plan to ever use it as a payment device).
- Monthly security updates.
- Better camera.

Maybe I will wait for 5G, folding phone, … what is coming out this year just doesn’t look like it is that much better than what we already have.

One thing is for sure. If I ever decide to get a new phone, this will defiantly be kept as a backup because it is too good to give away as a trade in.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
You sound exactly like me. I can't think of a good reason to leave my Turbo. Yes, I want a fingerprint sensor. Yes, I wish the camera had optical image stabilization.

But it still works great. I can get over 5 hours screen time before needing a charge. No more phone payments. It's great.

soc_phish

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Looking at all the new phone out there and I’m trying to figure out why I need a new phone.
-My phone is paid for, no more Verizon monthly payments.
-My batter y still works well (~50% at the end of a normal days use).
-Good screen size, small bezel, well built.
-And it does almost everything I want a smartphone to do.

The only issue I’m having is when I clear the cache (after it take an eternity) I get error messages now (which scroll past to fast to read) and I’m not sure it is actually working (clearing the cache).

What would be nice to have in a new phone:
-Waterproof (just in case).
-Finger print sensor (but I don’t plan to ever use it as a payment device).
-Monthly security updates.
-Better camera.

Maybe I will wait for 5G, folding phone, … what is coming out this year just doesn’t look like it is that much better than what we already have.

One thing is for sure. If I ever decide to get a new phone, this will defiantly be kept as a backup because it is too good to give away as a trade in.

We will always find reasons to get a new smartphone. For example, I have the Moto Droid Turbo, I cannot complain about its quality. I know that I will never convert to Apple. But I need a slightly bigger screen, a new improved battery for my constant multitasking. But I am overall happy with it. At the moment, I can just sit back and watch the next few smartphone releases and see which will be best for my everyday use. I took a chance on Motorola and unless they (Lenovo) come out with a cool new smartphone, I will be looking for the brand that keeps their users updated and error free. Most importantly, a smartphone that meets most of my needs.

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I had the turbo and switched to the pixel XL. Really love the phone. I'll be honest, a big part of it was that I wanted better pictures and camera experience. It was tough getting photos of my kids in sports.

Anyways, beyond that, I probably could have gone another year or two with it.

My biggest nag? All the advanced ads were bringing the phone to a crawl. One bad ad, or ridiculous ad and performance plummeted when trying to browse.

928SC

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
The point is that smart phones look to have hit a plateau, and a 2-3 year old phone works just as well as many of the new ones coming out.

It used to be years ago that you couldn't wait for your contract to be up, or close, so that you could upgrade to the latest device. But the smart phones of recent years have held up well. Even the software looks to have stabilized, updates (L, M, N) are not huge leaps that we had in the early years.

This is great for the pocketbook, but the anticipation of getting something new just isn't there like it use to be.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
2-3 years is just about the time that the battery pack will start to wear out from charge cycles. That'll be the thing to look for - when suddenly the battery left drops a lot faster than it used to, or the phone even shuts down before it reports a low percentage. When that happens, it's time to look for a new phone.

Right now, I'm on what I hope is a replace every thirty months plan. I'm 17 months in, so probably getting a new phone next March or April.

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I was just thinking how happy I still am with this phone. First time I haven't really NEEDED to upgrade at 2 years. (course this post will probably jinx it)
To be fair, I pad over $700 retail for it so with phones getting this expensive perhaps they decided to let the planned obsolescence go a little longer.

gilgamess3

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
but after the MM update, the battery is no more the same...in standby, for example, MM drains very very much...before it was a wonderful battery!! The new systems drains a lot and Doze function is not good at all...

Cajun_Mike

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I am in the same place. I always get a new phone as soon as my two years is up. Always counting the days until Verizon anniversary date because I hate the phone I an using and it's crapping out.

Last September, had Note 7 not had issues I would have made the move... Pixel don't want, htc 10 nope.. V20 nope.. IPhone 7 nope.. Moto z.. Nope because next phone must have market leading camera... So, now I am looking at G6 not doing it for me yet.. S8 out later this month... We'll see...

Yes, my battery isn't going all day anymore but now I am wondering if I can make it all the way to fall for whatever Note 8 will be, iPhone 8 and pixel 2

jleebiker

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Same here. For what I use it for, it's a great phone. I have a friend that has the Turbo 2 and sure it's thinner, better camera and bigger screen, but do I really NEED all that? One thing I'm paranoid about her's is that it is so thin, I'm paranoid that I'd sit on it and break it. My Turbo with case has held up very well!

Cajun_Mike

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Well, I am pretty sure I am going to be forced to buy a phone soon. Battery shows 50% charged, I reboot and it shows 64%.

I find i have to reboot the phone every other day due to slowing and apps getting hung up.

LG G6 or S8.. Waiting to see.. But about to pop.

JohnS305

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I was in the same boat three months ago. My Turbo still ran good, battery life still good. Then Verizon had the half price deal on the Moto Z Force, so I made the move.

I thought I would miss the Turbo, but once I got the Z Force I haven't looked back. I still have the Turbo in case I need a backup, but I love the Z and I'm glad I made the move.

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
The z is an amazing phone! I think Motorola has one of the best platforms moving forward. If they can maintain proper updates I may be back next purchase

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I still have my Turbo (typing on it now), and it still works as well as it did when I bought it. Battery isn't AS great as it used to be, but I have treated it well so it still gets me through 15+ hours before hitting the ~20% level. However, phone is still as fast and performs as well as it did back in late 2014.

My wife's Turbo, on the other hand, **** the bed yesterday (kept powering off, even after cache clear and FDR) so she's now a proud owner of a G6. Her battery also degraded worse than mine, which I attribute to her massive case (mine has been naked it's entire existence) and her penchant for charging it while it was on (I shut my phone off to charge it every night).

VZWsucks

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
The wife and I just had this conversation last weekend.... She'd like to get new phones for the family (4) and she sent me some link of a new phone that Amazon has.

I tore that thing apart and told her that our current 2 ➕ yo phones were far superior.

I've used Motorola forever and overall like their products.

I'm extremely happy with my turbo and will keep it until the wheels fall off... Just don't ask me about moto/vzw Untimely updates

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The wife and I just had this conversation last weekend.... She'd like to get new phones for the family (4) and she sent me some link of a new phone that Amazon has.

I tore that thing apart and told her that our current 2 ➕ yo phones were far superior.

I've used Motorola forever and overall like their products.

I'm extremely happy with my turbo and will keep it until the wheels fall off... Just don't ask me about moto/vzw Untimely updates
VZW doesn't even release through Amazon anymore.

I have no plans to turn in my Turbo until it breaks or dies. This thing is still able to play with the big boys that are being released today, even if it does have some shortcomings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradypsnyder