So will it cost me anything extra (monthly) if I get a Thunderbolt

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Right now I have a Droid X with the $30 data..... if I buy a Thunderbolt will I pay anything extra for the 4G?

WIll it be $30 data + $30 4G?

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
so if I were smart, I would get a Thunderbolt now so I can be grandfathered under the unlimited 3G/4G plan for $30/month?? Am I correct in thinking that?

richhh

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
so if I were smart, I would get a Thunderbolt now so I can be grandfathered under the unlimited 3G/4G plan for $30/month?? Am I correct in thinking that?

They haven't said anything in about grandfathering in the plan after they go to tiered plans. They probably won't allow it, imo

KSChris

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
They haven't said anything in about grandfathering in the plan after they go to tiered plans. They probably won't allow it, imo

My understanding is that they have to.

You are signing a contract with them by buying the phone, agreeing to the terms of said contract.

They can't change those terms unless you cancel your contract, or until you upgrade in a year or two years or whenever.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
data isn't part of the contract. It's a feature that goes with the phone. That's why you can activate a dumb phone on the line and drop the data fee. Technically speaking they COULD change it but won't because of the Adverse Effect clause in the contract where if they increase something, you can cancel.

j7469

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
data isn't part of the contract. It's a feature that goes with the phone. That's why you can activate a dumb phone on the line and drop the data fee. Technically speaking they COULD change it but won't because of the Adverse Effect clause in the contract where if they increase something, you can cancel.

That is not how I understand it. If you purchased a smartphone (Droid, BB, iPhone) within the past year and receive a discount with a 1 or 2 year contract, Verizon expects you to keep a data plan on for the length of the contract.

You CAN put a dumb phone on your account but will still have to pay for the data. Also if you paid full price you can drop the data at anytime.

Are they any VZW people out there who can confirm this?

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Not if you order directly from Verizon. You could go tomorrow, buy the Thunderbolt, accept the Terms & Conditions, reactivate an old phone that doesn't require a data plan and then ebay it if you wanted. And even then the data requirement would go with the phone so you wouldn't need to keep the data on the line. Store reps aren't exactly fond of that since they get charge backs but it happens way too often. You still have the $350 ETF so I'm guessing that's good enough for Verizon.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shadowbear