Sold my Iphone today and bought the Note 2

YankeeMike

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

Need some guidance

1. What are first 5 -6 things I should do / download?

2. Is this Jellybean yet?

3. How do I make my screens all widgets? like the big boxes?

4. Must have appps?

5. Full bright white is tough to get, compared to the Iphone is my only gripe and phone volume little low? am I right?

Lastly the phone is slippery and bulky , I have 14 days and as of now after 6 hours I'd say I'm 50-50 on keeping it ONLY bc of bulk. Maybe the 4s would be better?

This is a better bang for the buck phone than the Iphone, no question - the real estate is amazing.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Bulk. Really? Its thin and lightweight. I think your previous device is bulky. I am nit a gamer. I use mine for work and personal. Its my music. Its everything except when I need my laptop or tablet.
Sound is great. Speaker is loud. Camera is awesome. Navigation works well too. I do like thumb keyboard the best. Have tried the others. Keep coming back to Thumb. Amazon market is great. They have a daily free app. I get all my business apps free. Top notch market.

You will end up being very happy. My phone is the envy of a lot of ppl. I know.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm tinkering around with "Current Caller ID" by White Pages from the Play Store. It's a free application (right now, anyways) that uses White Pages data bases to notify you who is calling if their not in your phone book. I deleted my home phone from my contacts and tested it out and also tried with my sister and it worked. This turns your cell phone into more of a home caller ID rather than just showing a number.

2.) Yes, it's Jelly Bean.

3.) Just clear the screen by long holding and dragging to the trash can. Then go to the App Drawer menu, scroll right, and there are the widgets.

4.) Current Caller ID, Criticall (Allows you to set phone to silent but lets CRITICAL numbers bypass when allowed)

5.) I use auto brightness. Phone volume is louder than iPhone 5 by a large amount. I could barely hear people on an iPhone 5 but can hear clearly on Note II. The ringer volume is also louder. On a call, if you need more volume, there is a little circle button on the call screen to increase it more for loud environments.

You will most likely get used to the bulk as you call it but it's more "wide" than anything else. A case (I use the Samsung Protective Bumper+) will add minimal bulk, keep the OEM look, and grip easier due to it's sides being more rounded. Once you use the Note II for a short period of time you will probably find yourself unable to switch back to the small screen of an iPhone.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah wide I shoulda said , and i have big hands. I'm also a little skeptical of reaction to holding this to my ear.

Congrats on joining the Note2 club!
Nobody notices what you are holding to your ear these days. And why would you care if they did? ;) People walk around with tablets these days. If you like it and its comfortable to hold and use, nothing else matters. If it really bothers you, there is always bluetooth, or try a smaller device. My bet is you will get used to the size of the device in a matter of days and most likely will never want anything smaller. And you can get a textured skin or case if it seems too slippery. I'm still amazed every day at what this device can do, and I haven't even researched all the stuff you can do with the s-pen. Good luck with everything!

Sent from a Galaxy (Note 2) far, far away...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If bulk is an issue, get the s4,much less bulky, though obviously smaller screen and no s-pen

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
You've only had the note 2 for at least a day, of course it's going to feel big. You will get used to it, just give it a few more days. You will most likely find that once you pick up ur iPhone, it will feel really small. If the note 2 is still too big, then go back to the iPhone.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

YankeeMike

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Phone is amazing , there's no question. Sometime I just look at it and say why did I wait this long ... Android is confusing though as of now.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Phone is amazing , there's no question. Sometime I just look at it and say why did I wait this long ... Android is confusing though as of now.

Haha, I feel that way about IOS every time I have to help my girl with her iPhone or iPad. It's a familiarity thing. It will take some time to adjust to Android, but once you do it won't be confusing anymore. :) This thread may help: http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/137252-apple-users-guide-android.html

Also, I too initially had some concerns about the size of the Note 2, but you get accustomed to it pretty quickly. Now I simply can't imagine using anything smaller. It's surreal how your outlook changes.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Good. Android rocks. But you may notice a size difference :p

First 5-6 things? What sort of things did you have on your iPhone? I found using a different mail and text app to be useful. I use AquaMail and ChompSMS. Aquamail is the best mail client out there. ChompSMS is simple and clean, plus I can make it look the way I want.

The best widget collection is HD Widgets. I tried Beautiful Widgets, but HD beats it. Good clocks, nice looking switches and so forth - looks great.
Indigo. It's awesome. You don't have to remember how to do much. Just tell it. Very similar to Siri in terms of controlling phone functions and it seems to understand me better than anything else. Which is weird since I have your standard midwestern US accent. If I drawled or sounded like I had an adenoid problem like a Bostoner :p I could get why other assistants couldn't understand me.

You don't need nav - google has you covered pretty well.

If you want something with less bulk, go look at the S4 or (if you're on Verizon) the Droid DNA. It (DNA) has more screen than the One and nearly the performance. Both the S4 and the two HTCs are beautiful phones with amazing displays and they do fit hands better. I put a Puregear slim case with kickstand on my N2. It's easier to grab and the kickstand is useful. $14. But it didn't make it any smaller :)

purwater

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I second the recommendation of hd widgets, chomp SMS, etc. As for ear volume I found I have to hold the phone lower on my ear to hear well. Then it's very loud. The size takes a little getting used to. I actually returned my first note 2 due to size. Gave it another go and stuck with it. Got my iPhone 5 out the other day to let it update and charge and it felt so tiny. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I second the recommendation of hd widgets, chomp SMS, etc. As for ear volume I found I have to hold the phone lower on my ear to hear well. Then it's very loud. The size takes a little getting used to. I actually returned my first note 2 due to size. Gave it another go and stuck with it. Got my iPhone 5 out the other day to let it update and charge and it felt so tiny. Lol.

I think that the sheer size of the phone fools you into putting it up too high on your head to line up the speaker with your ear. As nice as it is. the phone isn't a natural fit to your head.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I forgot what has to be my favorite (well, most regularly used anyway) app - Shush! You install it and you;\'re done. What happens is when you mute your phone you get a popup that asks you when you want the sound to come back on, and a wheel like gadget to set the time. Or you just tap "leave it off" to, umm, leave it off. It's awesome. When I go to bed I set shush time for when I wake up and the phone doesn't disturb me, or if I go into a meeting I set the time for an hour or two. Church, I set it for an hour. Its faster to do it than describe it since all you do is slide your finger to show a time back on and a time span, then tap Shush. When the time is up it returns to the same volume you left it, even if you muted by holding the down rocker. It remembers where the volume was when you started turning it down. And you never forget to turn your ringer back on. Just get it. It's free.

What I didn't expect is it works with muting widgets. You click a silence widget and Shush pops up. It just works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OllieFallon10