Some advice for anyone looking to buy a Note 4

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Okay, let me start off by saying that it took me three trips to the AT&T store to become completely satisfied with my Note 4. My first trip was when I first got the Note 4, complete with excitement about getting a new phone. The second trip was more serious, because after using the phone for a week, it had what I thought was a Wi-Fi issue where the performance was mediocre. I had to get an exchange, only to discover that this new exchange phone had something wrong with it as well: the back cover would create a gap on the bottom of the phone large enough to be able to insert a fingernail or a business card.

That leads me to the title of this post: I have some advice for anyone, I mean ANYONE, who has even the slightest consideration of buying the Note 4. Let's get started.

Disclaimer: Please note that the following actions are only suggestions (and personal opinions) and that, if carried out, should be done BEFORE leaving the store. These suggestions are by no means mandatory, and not every clerk in the store may have the time/patience to see what tests you are running. Think of this as my attempt to help prospective buyers of the Note 4 save any unnecessary additional trips to the store to fix problems and prevent any frustrations that may arise along with it. But of course, I am not responsible for any loss or damage caused by taking any of these suggestions into action.

1. Make sure to visually inspect EVERY part of the phone, including the back cover. That way, if there is anything you shouldn't see (scratches, dents, gaps of any kind, etc.), you can mention it to the clerks.

1.5. When you inspect the back cover, take it off and count the number of clips. For a snug fit, there should be 4 clips on the top, 7 on the right, 2 on the bottom, and 6 on the left. That comes to a total of 19 clips. If any one of them is missing, let the clerks know right away! Missing clips means looser attachments, which creates gaps that may widen over time, possibly causing debris to find its way inside.

2. Go to the dialer and enter *#0*# to run some tests of the phone's sensors, speakers, and cameras. There are options that let you display one of three colors on the whole screen, which should help you detect any dead pixels. Any tests you run should pass.

3. Load a webpage on Wi-Fi (if available) and the mobile network. If you want, tack on a speed test to make sure that you are getting acceptable speeds. I don't think this phone is known for its Wi-Fi performance.

3.5. Compare the signal strength of the networks that you're connected to with the display models.

4. Make sure the S-Pen fits snugly into the slot, and while you're at it, make sure it actually works. Press the button and play around with its features for a bit.

5. This might not work in all situations, but have a go at testing the GPS by opening up Google Maps and letting it find where you are.

6. Press all the buttons on the phone to make sure they give you an acceptable tactile feel. The buttons shouldn't feel mushy or like they're about to fall off.

For current Note 4 owners, please feel free to add more advice. Thank you for reading, and happy posting.

Last edited:

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
BTW, I'd like to make this thread sticky so it is more easily visible to people. (I do not know how to make a thread sticky.) Mods, if you are reading this, please make this thread sticky and delete this comment/post afterwards.

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Received two Note 4s by pre-order. Both are in perfect condition and working order since day 1.

Go figure, guess I was lucky. I am ecstatic with both of them.

GalaxyOnyxWitch

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I always do a visual of the phone when I buy it and ensure at the very least that I don't walk out before I test it on a call. I know there is a 14 day exchange or return so if I discover something at home I can do my troubleshooting there, rather than harry a busy clerk. If they are not busy, no biggie.

DarkUncle

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Just out of curiosity I tried your #2 suggestion. All I get is the verizon message saying your call cannot be completed as dialed.

Posted via the Android Central App

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Just out of curiosity I tried your #2 suggestion. All I get is the verizon message saying your call cannot be completed as dialed.

Posted via the Android Central App
When you enter that dialer code, it should automatically take you to a bright white screen with buttons, unless Verizon disabled the code.

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
BTW, I'd like to make this thread sticky so it is more easily visible to people. (I do not know how to make a thread sticky.) Mods, if you are reading this, please make this thread sticky and delete this comment/post afterwards.

Personally, the opening post seems a bit of overreaction to me. The vast majority of buyers appear to have had no problems with their new Note 4's. Your thread about "WiFi sucks" turned out to largely be a combination of a particular setting that you later changed and the fact that you're four floors above the router in your dorm.

Regarding the case back, I've found I have to take care to press the back of my phone to get it fully snapped on, but everything fits tight. Accepting your statement that your back was missing one clip at the bottom, that still appears to be a wild anomaly, since no one else has posted saying they have found the same thing.

I mean, if someone wants to sit in the store and do all the testing you suggest, fine, go for it. But I hardly think that this phone requires that effort any more than any other phone, which is to say, not at all for most buyers. Sure, every now and then any model of phone has a few that slip through QC with some flaw. It's easy enough to take it back if that rare situation happens, and it could still happen even if one does your suggested testing routine.

So, "Sticky" status for this thread? I think not.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mickmac