Sound Profiles

golson22m

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Is there any way to create sound profiles that have different combinations? In other words, at night I would like to have everything silent except for the phone, at work I would like the phone silent and only calendar and task reminders audible. I was able to do this with my Blackberry, but have not been able to figure out how with my DNA.

Thank you!

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Audio Manager Free/Pro can do all that for you. Fantastic program...HOWEVER, I've noticed a bug where if you change the profile it'll change your default notification and ringtone. I've emailed the developer. But it does change all the profiles no problem.

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Audio Manager Free/Pro can do all that for you. Fantastic program...HOWEVER, I've noticed a bug where if you change the profile it'll change your default notification and ringtone. I've emailed the developer. But it does change all the profiles no problem.
Since ICS, the ringtone volume and notification volume are married - you cannot adjust them independently anymore. Apps such as Audio Manager have the option for notification volume removed on ICS/JB devices. There's a HUGE thread on the Android support pages about this, with people pleading for the past year to return that functionality. Google has remained silent.

The only solution I came up with, was to use Tasker to create a profile that does the following:
12:30 AM - Turn on silent mode
If the phone rings, turn the ringtone volume up (and remain up for 5 minutes before going back to silent mode)
7:00 AM - Turn silent mode off

You could also customize the script to only allow certain numbers, but I don't get many calls overnight so all calls are fine for me.

I can post the Tasker code if anyone is interested. Edit: posted below. :cool:

Last edited:

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes please. :)

Here are the two profiles you'll need (Sleep Mode & Sleep Mode Emergency). Let me know if they import into Tasker OK. Never exported/imported before. I can do it differently (screenshots or something) if this doesn't work.

Edit: Here's how to import them, in case anyone is confused

1.) On your device, click on the the two XML files above and download them to your device (they'll be in the "download" folder).
2.) Launch Tasker on your device
3.) Long press on the "Profiles" tab along the top
4.) Select "Import"
5.) Using the carrot icon on the right, navigate to your "download" folder
6.) Select the first xml file, and import it.
7.) Repeat the process above for the second xml file
8.) Make sure they're enabled in Tasker
9.) Modify the scripts to fit your needs. They're initially set for 12 am on and 7 am off, and to allow all calls. You can change the times and add specific numbers to allow (use the magnifying glass to select contacts).

Last edited:

Mark Haffner

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to be a newbie pest -- if I were to buy Tasker this is all (initially) I would use it for, but it would be well worth the $2.99. Do I need to install both scripts -- sleep mode turns off the phone and sleep mode emergency turns it on when a call comes in? Will I have to burrow into the code to change the time settings or is there some interface I will be able to use for that?

Here are the two profiles you'll need (Sleep Mode & Sleep Mode Emergency). Let me know if they import into Tasker OK. Never exported/imported before. I can do it differently (screenshots or something) if this doesn't work.

Edit: Here's how to import them, in case anyone is confused

1.) On your device, click on the the two XML files above and download them to your device (they'll be in the "download" folder).
2.) Launch Tasker on your device
3.) Long press on the "Profiles" tab along the top
4.) Select "Import"
5.) Using the carrot icon on the right, navigate to your "download" folder
6.) Select the first xml file, and import it.
7.) Repeat the process above for the second xml file
8.) Make sure they're enabled in Tasker
9.) Modify the scripts to fit your needs. They're initially set for 12 am on and 7 am off, and to allow all calls. You can change the times and add specific numbers to allow (use the magnifying glass to select contacts).

Mark Haffner

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I did a little testing with this, and it seems like if you get a phone call during the Sleep Mode and thus activate the Sleep Mode Emergency profile, after the phone call the phone is un-silenced and the Sleep Mode profile is overridden. If this is the case, is there a way to "reactivate" the Sleep Mode so it silences the phone once again?

ibcnul8ter

May 1, 2013
Visit site
i miss my blackberry. I need something where i can set up a profile, and within that control apps. for instance, when i was "on call", it would be in silent mode EXCEPT for text and calls. so far i can only find an app that silences everything, but i just wanted to silence certain things, like facebook, certain emails, games, etc.
HELP!!!!!!!!! :)

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I did a little testing with this, and it seems like if you get a phone call during the Sleep Mode and thus activate the Sleep Mode Emergency profile, after the phone call the phone is un-silenced and the Sleep Mode profile is overridden. If this is the case, is there a way to "reactivate" the Sleep Mode so it silences the phone once again?
Sorry, just saw this... The Tasker silent mode profile I wrote re-activates 3 minutes after an incoming call, so you if you get a call and a VM, you'll get notified on both, before it goes back to silent.