Speed dial

classact

May 2, 2018
Visit site
This seems like a surreal reality but is it true that Speed Dial is no longer a feature in Android?

I had entered some numbers but then they disappeared. I can't find a Speed Dial list, only a way to add, and then I found a post online saying it's not really supported much any longer.

And I don't seem to be finding a good app for it in the Play Store.

I just want a simple way to speed dial frequently called numbers.

And putting them into Favorites isn't a viable option for me since I have a handful of people who need to be able to reach me at all hours of the day and night including while I'm asleep, so every night I set DND to silence everything except calls from Favorites. Not everyone I want in Speed Dial belongs in the group I want waking me when DND is on.

Any suggestions?

(When can I wake up from this bad dream and find out that it wasn't real and that my original BlackBerry is actually still alive and well? Aarrgghh?)

Thanks!

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Speed dial is a function of the phone dialer app.

Pull up the phone dialer, and there should be a menu item - three dots or three lines, something like that. Tap that, and there should be an option to go to your speed dial list.

Or, just hold down on one of the numbers on the dialer, and an option should pop up asking you what contact to save for that number. And which number if more than one exists for that contact - like, a cell, or home, or work number.

From the menu option, you can put in just a number directly if you don't have any contacts to chose from.

Now, you didn't say which phone you have. I'm on a Samsung, so other manufacturers may be a little different. I'm also on AT&T, so "1" on the dialer is set for voicemail by default. But I have my wife on "2" and my son on "3". Just press and hold "2" for a moment, and my wife's cell starts ringing.

So, speed dial is not gone. You just have to know where to look.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This seems like a surreal reality but is it true that Speed Dial is no longer a feature in Android?

I had entered some numbers but then they disappeared. I can't find a Speed Dial list, only a way to add, and then I found a post online saying it's not really supported much any longer.

And I don't seem to be finding a good app for it in the Play Store.

I just want a simple way to speed dial frequently called numbers.

And putting them into Favorites isn't a viable option for me since I have a handful of people who need to be able to reach me at all hours of the day and night including while I'm asleep, so every night I set DND to silence everything except calls from Favorites. Not everyone I want in Speed Dial belongs in the group I want waking me when DND is on.

Any suggestions?

(When can I wake up from this bad dream and find out that it wasn't real and that my original BlackBerry is actually still alive and well? Aarrgghh?)

Thanks!

Which phone do you have? Google's Phone app on Pixels doesn't have the speed dial feature of long-pressing a keypad digit, so my recommendation is to take advantage of the Direct Dial widget (which has been around forever). I create a Direct Dial widget for each of my frequently called numbers and organize them into their own folder on the homescreen. Direct Dial widgets are even more convenient than the old digit long-press method because it's a simple tap of a widget that will initiate the call (and if you're worried about accidentally calling someone with an unintentional tap, that's why it's a good idea to put them into their own folder).

classact

May 2, 2018
Visit site
Speed dial is a function of the phone dialer app.

Pull up the phone dialer, and there should be a menu item - three dots or three lines, something like that. Tap that, and there should be an option to go to your speed dial list.

Or, just hold down on one of the numbers on the dialer, and an option should pop up asking you what contact to save for that number. And which number if more than one exists for that contact - like, a cell, or home, or work number.

From the menu option, you can put in just a number directly if you don't have any contacts to chose from.

Now, you didn't say which phone you have. I'm on a Samsung, so other manufacturers may be a little different. I'm also on AT&T, so "1" on the dialer is set for voicemail by default. But I have my wife on "2" and my son on "3". Just press and hold "2" for a moment, and my wife's cell starts ringing.

So, speed dial is not gone. You just have to know where to look.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

I have a Samsung S22 Ultra. On the most recent OS version at all times -- I install as soon as I'm notified of any and all updates.

I am aware of everything you wrote.

It does not provide any option that I can find to show me a list of existing Speed Dial numbers for some bizarre reason. (It might be there hidden somewhere but I haven't been able to find it and I'm pretty experienced in finding my way around an Android phone.) Yes, I can add them, as you said, but without seeing a list of existing assignments it's infinitely less useful.

And as I said, it keeps losing them after I've added them. I've had the phone for less than nine months. About six weeks ago what I had previously entered was gone, so I had to re-enter them. And two days ago they'd all disappeared again.

And when I did a Google search I found posts suggesting it was not really being supported as a "thing" much anymore, which is consistent with my experience.

classact

May 2, 2018
Visit site
Which phone do you have? Google's Phone app on Pixels doesn't have the speed dial feature of long-pressing a keypad digit, so my recommendation is to take advantage of the Direct Dial widget (which has been around forever). I create a Direct Dial widget for each of my frequently called numbers and organize them into their own folder on the homescreen. Direct Dial widgets are even more convenient than the old digit long-press method because it's a simple tap of a widget that will initiate the call (and if you're worried about accidentally calling someone with an unintentional tap, that's why it's a good idea to put them into their own folder).

That works perfectly! Like a charm! Thanks!!!

(I have a Samsung S22 Ultra, by the way.)

classact

May 2, 2018
Visit site
I have a Samsung S22 Ultra. On the most recent OS version at all times -- I install as soon as I'm notified of any and all updates.

I am aware of everything you wrote.

It does not provide any option that I can find to show me a list of existing Speed Dial numbers for some bizarre reason. (It might be there hidden somewhere but I haven't been able to find it and I'm pretty experienced in finding my way around an Android phone.) Yes, I can add them, as you said, but without seeing a list of existing assignments it's infinitely less useful.

And as I said, it keeps losing them after I've added them. I've had the phone for less than nine months. About six weeks ago what I had previously entered was gone, so I had to re-enter them. And two days ago they'd all disappeared again.

And when I did a Google search I found posts suggesting it was not really being supported as a "thing" much anymore, which is consistent with my experience.

I have to correct myself. I now see that I do see the "list" of existing "Speed dial numbers." I could swear it wasn't there yesterday. Or maybe I just processed in my mind that the list wasn't there because the list of "entries" I had certainly entered previously wasn't there.

As it is, I think the Direct Dial widget idea is even better since it is a tap instead of a long press and it shows every name right there.

If you see any pros and cons between the two approaches worth mentioning if you anticipate anything that probably isn't obvious to me yet, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks so much for the help!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itay85