Sprint Galaxy S4: KitKat

bltserv

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: KitKat

I got a question.
Some of the Press Releases I am eading are sayin you need to be at L720VPUFNAE to get the upgrade OTA ?
I am at MK2. I think the new L720VPUFNAE is 4.4 ??

Updated:
I found a link. NAE is whats coming to us now as 4.4

Last edited:

wolverinex

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Hold the k screen ,it will spin into a kit kat label,hold the kit kat screen and will change to a patchwork of android systems

Posted via Android Central App

jnichols16

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

I keep seeing references that I need MK2 to get a OTA update.

My phone is only six days old, the Software Version is L720TVPUAMK5, Model: SPHL 720TWT.
I haven't had any luck finding a software version chart to make sure I'm good to go.
Can anyone steer me to a chart I can look my software version with?

hardrocker89

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

I keep seeing references that I need MK2 to get a OTA update.

My phone is only six days old, the Software Version is L720TVPUAMK5, Model: SPHL 720TWT.
I haven't had any luck finding a software version chart to make sure I'm good to go.
Can anyone steer me to a chart I can look my software version with?

Scroll up to darnell's comment and click that link and let the file download (389 mb) then update manually

spensergig

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site

Only real drawback so far is that Skype does not work.
This has been a known problem with the Nexus(?), I think, but it still fails on the Samsung S4.
I'm disappointed that the fix isn't here yet,

And I like the extra "egg" screens that come after the big whitye "K". Thanks for the info.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After I posted, I tried downloading Skype again, in preparation for chatting with their Tech Support people.
To my surprise, it now works!

However, I have since started getting a continuous stream of 'Sorry, Kindle for Android has stopped - Report or Cancel" messages.
I was able to uninstall, hitting "cancel" many, many times in the process. Think I'll hold on that app for now.

Last edited:

jnichols16

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Scroll up to darnell's comment and click that link and let the file download (389 mb) then update manually

I don't want to jump into that until I can verify whether my MK5 software is NEWER or OLDER than MK2.

Remember; my phone is only 6 days old -- and MK5 comes after MK2.

I've seen where some folks have had a real mess trying to manually load old software on top of newer software.

I have a link to a page that lists the Note 10.1 tablet software in date order, that's what I'm looking for on the S4.

GeekNews

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

I don't want to jump into that until I can verify whether my MK5 software is NEWER or OLDER than MK2.

Remember; my phone is only 6 days old -- and MK5 comes after MK2..

Probably a good idea - I believe MK5 was only released on the New Spark Edition phones so the current update might not support those yet.

MK5 is newer btw - it was released 12/20 whereas MK2 was released 11/30. But the devices have different support pages and the one for MK5 doesn't list the NAE update. I'd hold off or at least verify that it works before making the attempt.

hardrocker89

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

I downloaded the file posted above. Placed it on my sd card (via es file explorer) and then booted into recovery mode and selected the option to update via sd card and selected the file. Took about 10 min or so to finish and now I'm enjoying kitkat!

wolverinex

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

Has anyone tried samsung kies, in the past I have updated an S3 and a note 2 with kies.

bltserv

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

I did the Manual Update. Looks good.
Make sure the file is in your external SD Card.
Have a good charge. BE PATIENT. Takes about 15 Minutes. Set it down and NO TOUCH.
Lost some Apps. IHeart Radio and a few more I dont miss yet. But thats easy to fix.
Phone is 4.4.2 NAE
Network is up and all looks good.:D
I lost my Talkatone too. But a reload and it seems OK.
My Starbucks auto Login bit the dust too. Reload.

Last edited:

jnichols16

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Probably a good idea - I believe MK5 was only released on the New Spark Edition phones so the current update might not support those yet.

MK5 is newer btw - it was released 12/20 whereas MK2 was released 11/30. But the devices have different support pages and the one for MK5 doesn't list the NAE update. I'd hold off or at least verify that it works before making the attempt.

Sorry, I guess I don't know what a New Spark Edition phone is. I'll look on the Samsung site??

IslandGuy

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

I have not noticed any changes since installing but my S4 is much faster. Lost a few apps but simply reinstalled those I need. May be just me but I find the text in most apps to be a bit more crisp than before. Loving KitKat so far.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

pixielee22

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site

I upgraded 48 hours ago and wish I hadn't! Im losing battery, all my status bar icons are now white (i want my green charged battery back!) and nothing seems to be working as before. When i plug in to charge it continually flashes *battery disconnected* and takes hours and hours to get a full charge and like other have said, apps are gone

Im in Arizona and got 4.4.2 after the upgrade

IslandGuy

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

I actually like the white battery icon but it's personal preference. No bad experiences to report. Battery life is the same as always. Bad. Thought KitKat would solve the slow wifi issue which made it necessary to change my router settings. It didn't. Not an issue however as wifi works fine with adjusted settings.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

hardrocker89

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

I upgraded 48 hours ago and wish I hadn't! Im losing battery, all my status bar icons are now white (i want my green charged battery back!) and nothing seems to be working as before. When i plug in to charge it continually flashes *battery disconnected* and takes hours and hours to get a full charge and like other have said, apps are gone

Im in Arizona and got 4.4.2 after the upgrade

Have you restarted your phone since updating? If so and nothing different you may need to do a factory reset as it does tend to fix certain issues. When I updated to 4.3 I had to factory reset my phone. Sure it takes a bit of time to get all your apps and personal preferences back like you had them but it's worth it if it fixes your issues and no harm done if it doesn't help.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe