How did your update to EB13 go?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

makeotapackage-j4

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
whats the right way to do the ext4 so it dont brick cuz it bricked me twice
Well, there are a couple things that could have caused issue, and I would advise everyone to pay CLOSE attention to these details.

First, did you download the EB13 deodexed/prerooted zip? The best possible method will include using the "update.zip", soon to be followed by the stock/deodexed-update.zip. So if you haven't grabbed the deodexed version, download that on the EB13 sticky with all the empty,reserved templates. If you dont see it, search EB13 deodexed and you'll see it.

The other thing to pay attention to is the kernel you are using. Make sure you have downloaded the EB13 DUALFS-kernel.zip. That kernel is critical to not ending up in a reboot cycle after the CWM 3xx/Ext4 conversion.

Try looking in to those two things and post back if you're still lost. The Stock deodexted/prerooted zip is something that has been critical for most. Some have been successful without it, however, even the developers were having trouble without it.
Hope this helps...

Reactions: Paul627g

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok OMG I finally got my phone updated using the windows method . I'm telling you guys right now I'm never ever ever want to use Odin AGAIN That was the most awful experience !!!!!

The method that Samsung used "generic version of Odin" plain out stinks... I agree. They made it painful.. It does work though...

The real version of Odin is so much easier, none of this battery pulling and all that junk.. You just boot into download mode once, place your ".tar" file into the proper spot and click start. Thats it... Done. Bottom line Sammy doesn't want to "give" away their tool "Odin" which we already have because then they know there would be more problems from improper use.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I want to know if im the only one with this problem.

My epic works perfect the only thing oi haven't found a solution is that my Gallery is super slow in Froyo, (it works perfect on 2.1) it seems I'm the only one with this problem. I had hope the Official Froyo will fix this but it didn't. Can someone please help me with this?

Mine was really slow with DK28. It's working pretty good now though with EB13.

greenmuggy

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Well, there are a couple things that could have caused issue, and I would advise everyone to pay CLOSE attention to these details.

First, did you download the EB13 deodexed/prerooted zip? The best possible method will include using the "update.zip", soon to be followed by the stock/deodexed-update.zip. So if you haven't grabbed the deodexed version, download that on the EB13 sticky with all the empty,reserved templates. If you dont see it, search EB13 deodexed and you'll see it.

The other thing to pay attention to is the kernel you are using. Make sure you have downloaded the EB13 DUALFS-kernel.zip. That kernel is critical to not ending up in a reboot cycle after the CWM 3xx/Ext4 conversion.

Try looking in to those two things and post back if you're still lost. The Stock deodexted/prerooted zip is something that has been critical for most. Some have been successful without it, however, even the developers were having trouble without it.
Hope this helps...

ok done didnt brick up but still has a funny boot ani with the weird android logo over the regular sprint boot ani is this normal??? booted up fine how do i know if i got the ext4???

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Do I need to be fully charged if I'm doing it via Windows install?? The Samsung installer stated to fully charge the phone before continuing. I'm at 61% right now and connected to my computer. Can I just run the install or should I wait for my phone to be fully charged?!?!

greenmuggy

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Do I need to be fully charged if I'm doing it via Windows install?? The Samsung installer stated to fully charge the phone before continuing. I'm at 61% right now and connected to my computer. Can I just run the install or should I wait for my phone to be fully charged?!?!

you should be good i was lower than that & i had no probs i think they say that so your phone dont die in the middle of it

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
you should be good i was lower than that & i had no probs i think they say that so your phone dont die in the middle of it

Ah ok thanks! Still, in order to do it via windows, you need to be connected to your pc so whether you have full charge or not, it shouldn't matter right?! lol

greenmuggy

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Ah ok thanks! Still, in order to do it via windows, you need to be connected to your pc so whether you have full charge or not, it shouldn't matter right?! lol

i would'nt go under 30% tho cuz when i reboot @ 30% when it turns back on its charge goes down to 15% or lower.....keep that in mind

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
@all, try and have those batteries charged up. You don't want to fail the installation in the middle due to a battery gone dead.. Thats when a "true" brick can happen when using the Windows Installer method.

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
After hearing from Samsung that there was no difference between their download and Sprint's OTA, and seeing on Sprint's forums a note that Samsung's download can be used instead, I decided to do the manual update. Fortunately, it seemed to work pretty well, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way. GPS did seem better, even getting a lock indoors relatively quickly, but I had some minor issues with calendar syncing which was easily fixed. I tried a web site with Flash content, and it played fine. I just have to work out the app2sd thing (do I need a separate app for this?) and I think I'll be set.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Did the windows installation and everything is working great! Just reinstalling all my apps and files now. Phone seems smoother and faster than before. I will see within the next few days how battery life/management is with 2.2. Thank you to everyone for the help in these threads!!

soutthpaw

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to say thanks to this forum and its members. Got my Epic upgraded via samsung website then rooted without too much trouble considering I am a noob to Android. I rooted the previous version then backed up with boh clockwork and titaniumand then returned to stock kernal before upgrade. I used the windows 7 intaller version.
The only issue I see so far is that my nav and home page icons are sometimes delayed a few seconds before they show up which did not hapen with 2.1...
Anyone else notice this

Hampteezy

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
After hearing from Samsung that there was no difference between their download and Sprint's OTA, and seeing on Sprint's forums a note that Samsung's download can be used instead, I decided to do the manual update. Fortunately, it seemed to work pretty well, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way. GPS did seem better, even getting a lock indoors relatively quickly, but I had some minor issues with calendar syncing which was easily fixed. I tried a web site with Flash content, and it played fine. I just have to work out the app2sd thing (do I need a separate app for this?) and I think I'll be set.

App to sd is standard with 2.2. Go to settings and then applications/manage applications. Then, depending on the app, you will be able to move the app to sd. Some wont let you and some it isnt the best idea to move to the sd card (such as widgets and live wallpapers because those items load when you boot your phone and you want them booting fast) But that should work for you without any problems.

Dont forget to hit the thankyou button. ;)

greenmuggy

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
i want sum luv 2

i want sum thanx 2.........:':)':)'( lmao great thread & if anyone wants 2 fix that effed up boot animation i can tell u how its a lil long but easy as pie:cool:

P.S. can anyone tell me how to confirm that i do in fact have ext4

citiz

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I have a question. I noticed that my phone is unrooted and I have clockworkmod. Can I still do the update thing from the Samsung site or do I have to flash back to stock, THEN do the samsung thing and will either way (hopefully!) erase my root and clockworkmod. I don't really have any use for either of them. If not, is there a way I can erase CWM from my phone? I haven't erased any bloatware and don't have any roms on my phone.

ETA Can anyone tell me my I get a error 7 when I tried to do the update zip thing? Is it because of CWM?

Last edited:

greenmuggy

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I have a question. I noticed that my phone is unrooted and I have clockworkmod. Can I still do the update thing from the Samsung site or do I have to flash back to stock, THEN do the samsung thing and will either way (hopefully!) erase my root and clockworkmod. I don't really have any use for either of them. If not, is there a way I can erase CWM from my phone? I haven't erased any bloatware and don't have any roms on my phone.

you can odin back to di18 thats that fresh outta the box flash.........completely fresh outta the box no ringtones, pics, contacts, everything youve done to your phone will b completely gone. but on the bright side it doesnt take long at all

this will take care of all your ?'s & ensure a clean upgrade to eb13, jus remember to make back-ups of whatever u can first

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.